Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Sep 2020, 11:38 (Ref:4005331)   #26
JT2010
Rookie

JT2010 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peider View Post
Once again, many thanks for all the excellent advice and actually taking the time to look after a greenhorn. May I say, zefarelly, with hindsight I am sure you are glad you rescued that Cortina from its sad fate.

Ultimately, I would love to have a race going Alfa 2600 Coupe, because I have an emotional / nostalgic attachment to this particular model through my grandfather but it seems that is a pipe dream and a long way away.

As I have said before, I would not wield a spanner and convert / maintain a car anyway. Therefore, an important consideration is a garage that can look after it. Here too, Kev Kivlochan gave me a few interesting hints. In due course I think I will ask the community in a dedicated thread about whom they might recommend.
Too bad you can't go with the Alfa. It's a beautiful car that would be the best choice, but it is what it is...
Old 21 Sep 2020, 16:43 (Ref:4005390)   #27
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I bought a Porsche 924 off eBay for £160 and turned it into a "race car". I use the inverted commas deliberately. I sold some spare parts that came with it to help finance the build and sold the whole lot for £850 after we'd killed it at Snetterton.

Would I do it again? Never. I'd buy a ready made one it's far cheaper financially and emotionally. Having said that I've got a daily driver that I'm using for hill climbs, and Lord knows what'll happen to that
Old 21 Sep 2020, 17:59 (Ref:4005409)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
So it wasn't a Lotus ?
No, you can clearly see theGT badges on the side.

Not the first one to have a green stripe painted on it!
Old 21 Sep 2020, 18:08 (Ref:4005412)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
The badge on the rear right flank is GT not Lotus.
If you look on the opening post of the 'Historics on the Hill' thread it's changed colour.
I think it was an ex-Willment works car.
I wish it was Peter, as far as I know, and I have it on pretty good authority, most of them were destroyed and/or sold of for club competition, rallying mostly. None survive. WIlment did modify road cars to a similar spec to a Lotus with a tuned 1500 push rod engine, and period road tests are most favourable. There may be a few of those around.

THere are very few GT race cars, only 2 pre airflow in the UK I know of, and 2 airflow, several in Aus and a few in Scandinavia. Willment only ran them in 1963 and Jack Sears won the championsip in them ( and some points in a Galaxy ) they were redundant thereafter.

Last edited by zefarelly; 21 Sep 2020 at 18:16.
Old 22 Sep 2020, 14:28 (Ref:4005604)   #30
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
something like this would get You started at budget level
try and see if You like it
if so, flog and upgrade

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...tfire-race-car
Old 22 Sep 2020, 18:14 (Ref:4005669)   #31
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice catch, Rudolf! Below the 10k mark and road legal. I keep a very good souvenir of two years of enduro with a 1300 Spit, very reliable and fun to drive.
Old 22 Sep 2020, 18:32 (Ref:4005677)   #32
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly seems good value for money.... way less than the cost of building it.
Old 22 Sep 2020, 18:49 (Ref:4005682)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And already historic. Not mentioning the built in AWS system…*
Old 23 Sep 2020, 09:20 (Ref:4005771)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
BArgain

However a fragile drive train and engine IMO
Old 23 Sep 2020, 09:36 (Ref:4005774)   #35
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall the owner has raced with the HSCC for several seasons. Easy enough to go back through his record to see how reliable his car is. Looks a bargain on the face of it.
Old 23 Sep 2020, 09:38 (Ref:4005775)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Possibly not entirely "historic" but an opportunity to get on the grid and have some fun:

http://mgmetrocup.co.uk/index.php/ad...p-winning-car/
Old 23 Sep 2020, 16:56 (Ref:4005886)   #37
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say "Buy The Spitfire!" It looks well-prepared, with all the right bits and would get you into an HSCC series, which sounds like what you want.

Drive it to the circuit, get a couple of mates along (who aren't hated by screwdrivers), have some fun and see if you like the whole experience. If you don't then you won't lose a lot of money if you decide to sell.
Old 24 Sep 2020, 08:36 (Ref:4006005)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I would say "Buy The Spitfire!" It looks well-prepared, with all the right bits and would get you into an HSCC series, which sounds like what you want.

Drive it to the circuit, get a couple of mates along (who aren't hated by screwdrivers), have some fun and see if you like the whole experience. If you don't then you won't lose a lot of money if you decide to sell.
just don't rev it over 5500 or go round corners too quickly!
Old 24 Sep 2020, 12:45 (Ref:4006040)   #39
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The 1300 we thoroughly abused was a happy tailer but always a finisher even of the long term races as 12 hours of Magny-Cours or 6 Hours of Spa. May be this one is homologated with the much improved rear suspension (wishbones I guess) as seen on later GT6?
Old 24 Sep 2020, 13:49 (Ref:4006050)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
both the 1300 and 1500 have long stroked weak cranks. THeir saving grace is a bore so small its difficult to make it breath well enough to rev high! 1300's will make 115 BHP without getting exotic.

Vitesse running gear should be a minimum upgrade.

The TOrnado uses std Triumph parts and we know all too well the wheels fall off, to the point everyone grounded their cars (quite literally ) until we had a safe solution, That is now done.

The TT is at least a low planted car, unlike most triumphs, which do have a tendancy to tuck wheels under due to the transverse leaf arrangement

Clearly the SPitfire can be a safe (relatively speaking) relaible fun car, but I'd want to know those things have been upgraded, or if not, it in part explains the price andtherefore budget to invest in what I'd call essential safety upgrades.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 07:29 (Ref:4006119)   #41
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes the transverse leaf arrangement doesn't help much and if you add a sway bar you must reconsider the rear geometry on the old models. But still this one is a bargain if not already sold.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 08:21 (Ref:4006128)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I agree, you'd have to pay that for any half decent classic road car.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 12:12 (Ref:4006200)   #43
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Gone are the days when you could get an old road car and "hack it about" and for virtually nothing (in comparison to today) go and race it. This was 1968/9 ? and you actually got paid to race it and prize money on top !
Click image for larger version

Name:	no151-001 (2).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	64293
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Sep 2020, 12:16 (Ref:4006203)   #44
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about an MG Midget? Can be used in lots of series, very tuneable, good supply of parts.One here:
https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Adver...k3-fia-racecar
Having said that a mate of mine has just bought a very nicely prepared 1380cc Midget for about £6500 so they are about and cheaper than the one I highlighted. Worth contacting the MG owners club race section (or other marque clubs that run race series) to let them know you are looking for a car, they may know what is coming up.
As an aside, if true historic racing isn’t the be all and end all, I would definitely recommend a Caterham. Fantastic fun and the lower powered ones are cheap to run.
I bought my K Series road legal one for less than £10,000 and love racing it in CSCC Magnificent 7s (40 min pit stop races). The Caterham Graduates series and their web site is a good place to look for cars.
https://www.cgrc.uk/forsale.asp
At the end of the season there will be more choice and K Series engined cars should be less than £10k.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 13:12 (Ref:4006214)   #45
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Gone are the days when you could get an old road car and "hack it about" and for virtually nothing (in comparison to today) go and race it. This was 1968/9 ? and you actually got paid to race it and prize money on top !
Attachment 64293
MOT exempt too!
Old 27 Sep 2020, 11:00 (Ref:4006699)   #46
Peider
Rookie

Peider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm, quite a few tasty and tempting runners. Thank you for the tips. Something to mull over with the help of a glas of Chardonnay.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 16:11 (Ref:4006848)   #47
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very good suggestion! I think Chardonnay rouge will tint your choice towards an MG B and Chardonnay blanc to the Spitfire. And probably too much Chardonnay will puzzle you! A votre santé, Monsieur!