Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give it?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 6 18.75%
7 17 53.13%
6 2 6.25%
5 3 9.38%
4 3 9.38%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Oct 2020, 14:38 (Ref:4009839)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rate the Grand Prix: Eifel Grand Prix 2020

What score do you give it?
Old 11 Oct 2020, 14:55 (Ref:4009850)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Decent entertainment. 8
Old 11 Oct 2020, 15:09 (Ref:4009854)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
8/10 decent race that
Old 11 Oct 2020, 15:55 (Ref:4009871)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fun race but really not a fan of turn 1. Has it always been like that?

The restart had me nervous about another pile up.

Wish the rain came.

Still a 7 for me though. Despite the lead up front, this has really been an eventful season.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 16:06 (Ref:4009876)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They changed turn one for 2002, used to be a fairly quick right-left chicane which went straight on to today's turn 5 and 6.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 17:35 (Ref:4009909)   #6
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
7 for the race
-1 for the VSC
-2 for the safety car
= 4

"This is the pinnacle of racing, so we don't need no artificial things (like reverse grids)", yet we artifically mess up races by unnecessary VSC and SC procedures.

What's wrong with the old "just push the car the behind the barrier"?
Old 11 Oct 2020, 18:25 (Ref:4009923)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
What's wrong with the old "just push the car the behind the barrier"?
Unfortunately the old "everyone trusts the drivers to slow down and prepare to stop under yellow flags" went the way of the Dodo some years ago.

When team managers are prepared to argue that "my driver was two tenths slower in that sector during the yellow flag period", and drivers (rarely in F1, granted) frequently make overtakes under yellow, then bureaucracy has to be used to ensure the safety of everyone.

That, and the death of a driver. It only takes one twitch, or one mistake, and we're looking at tragedy instead of inconvenience.

I'm all for just getting out and pushing cars, I really am, but I also value my life and that of the other people in orange/white/blue/grey that do the same thing. Having had to run away from another car spinning into a gravel trap though, I have slightly mixed feelings about it.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 18:32 (Ref:4009925)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I didn't see the need for a safety car but it did need the VSC at least. We don't want cars skating under recovery vehicles or, most importantly, marshals getting skittled.

I am not even sure why we have VSC to be honest if they still want to use the safety car.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 18:57 (Ref:4009929)   #9
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Unfortunately the old "everyone trusts the drivers to slow down and prepare to stop under yellow flags" went the way of the Dodo some years ago.

When team managers are prepared to argue that "my driver was two tenths slower in that sector during the yellow flag period", and drivers (rarely in F1, granted) frequently make overtakes under yellow, then bureaucracy has to be used to ensure the safety of everyone.

That, and the death of a driver. It only takes one twitch, or one mistake, and we're looking at tragedy instead of inconvenience.

I'm all for just getting out and pushing cars, I really am, but I also value my life and that of the other people in orange/white/blue/grey that do the same thing. Having had to run away from another car spinning into a gravel trap though, I have slightly mixed feelings about it.
Hmmm

Well I marshalled for 17 years so know where you’re coming from but it was an unnessisary safety car. I get the VSC, its a very useful tool, neutralises the race quickly for safety and then back at it.

The safety car just seemed ‘too nascar’
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:01 (Ref:4009930)   #10
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree the drivers can't be trusted and some sort of control was needed - just unsure why it was a SC rather than a VSC this time.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:13 (Ref:4009935)   #11
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
A VSC would probably do the trick by slowing everyone down to 80 or 120 or whatever speed they have mandated

And while we're at it:

For fairness' sake: close the pitlane during VSC

If necessary, make sure the VSC lasts a full lap (or a multitude of full laps) so nobody loses or gains in the process.
That isn't that hard to do: just check where the leader is and go back to green when he's at exactly the same spot.
Since everyone is going at exactly the same speed, everyone will be at exactly the same distance as before. Just like you pushed the pause button for a lap (or 2 or 3...)

Just stop artificially handing a select group of drivers advantages just because they happen to be close to the pit lane.

Last edited by gert; 11 Oct 2020 at 19:18.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:16 (Ref:4009937)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think as someone who has only marshalled in the oval world, I was quite happy with them deciding to only sort out incidents when the pack of cars was controlled away from the recovery scene

Even under VSC things can go wrong

The lives of Marshals are not worth sacrificing so some prima-donna F1 drivers can maintain their precious gaps between each other....

Aside from that, I'd say the race was a 6 or 7

There was a period where Ted decided to hint that rain might fall soon that seemed to make everyone think it was already falling (Bottas locking up, Vettel spinning, Kimi trying to flip Russell et al) and it seemed we were in for a Monza style crazy race
But then it settled down into the kind of boredom you'd expect from 2020 machines on a track without massive amounts of straight, until the SC perked things up for the end.

A race of three parts then, really.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:22 (Ref:4009939)   #13
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Well, it's not like they had to push the car accros the track, or did they?
In both cases, the cars were well clear from the track AND close to gap in the barrier.

There's a difference between the Russell-Giovinazzi accident in Spa and a single car stopped way off the track close to a gap in the barrier.

Last edited by gert; 11 Oct 2020 at 19:36.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:33 (Ref:4009941)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 11 Oct 2020, 20:11 (Ref:4009961)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i enjoyed that 7 from me
Old 11 Oct 2020, 22:09 (Ref:4010001)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!

What should've been an epic fight for the win was anything but. Merc tried to make it look harder than it really was again!

Max drove out of his skin to stay anywhere near Hamilton!

Shame Ferrari couldn't match the qualy pace.

The Aussie fella did a top job as did Checo.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 04:25 (Ref:4010056)   #17
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
8 for me. Really wish I could have heard the cars once and a while though.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 08:51 (Ref:4010085)   #18
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
A VSC would probably do the trick by slowing everyone down to 80 or 120 or whatever speed they have mandated

And while we're at it:

For fairness' sake: close the pitlane during VSC

If necessary, make sure the VSC lasts a full lap (or a multitude of full laps) so nobody loses or gains in the process.
That isn't that hard to do: just check where the leader is and go back to green when he's at exactly the same spot.
Since everyone is going at exactly the same speed, everyone will be at exactly the same distance as before. Just like you pushed the pause button for a lap (or 2 or 3...)

Just stop artificially handing a select group of drivers advantages just because they happen to be close to the pit lane.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I vote gert for FIA president.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 08:57 (Ref:4010088)   #19
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
7. It was a 9 for the actual race but -2 for the ludicrous safety car.

(Normally I subtract 1 for a pointless safety car, but that one hit a new low.)
Old 12 Oct 2020, 10:34 (Ref:4010113)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
7. Highlights as usual but pretty entertaining.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 11:35 (Ref:4010120)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
5. Not a bad race, some good battles, but we lost some of the action at the front when Bottas had to retire suffice to say. But it was still good to see some action, just a shame it was mostly further down. At the TV picked up on it
Old 14 Oct 2020, 18:30 (Ref:4010697)   #22
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Downgraded it from 7 to 6 because of the Safety Car - The McLaren was as near as possible to being under the crane jib - with a VSC it could have been lifted and removed in well under a lap, from a position that was well out of the firing line anyway. Trust me, I have no desire to endanger marshals - I have done a (very little) bit of it.....