Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Mar 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3964306)   #16
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that only a few months ago this was nothing. Quite incredible and shocking as to how quickly it seems to have taken control of Europe and the world.

Always have sim racing though

Last edited by Willmaz223; 15 Mar 2020 at 09:53.
Old 15 Mar 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3964325)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 may as well be sim racing now. At least on the sim style circuits!
Old 15 Mar 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3964336)   #18
Derwent
Rookie

Derwent has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As a club secretary we are cancelling all our events, competitive, tours and social for at least two months. Many organisers and marshals are in the vulnerable age group as are many competitors and the over 70s may be under house arrest soon. It is folly for the big events to go ahead. Neither is it good PR for the sport. I also doubt if many of our foreign competitors will be able to get there anyway!
Old 15 Mar 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3964366)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems the list of cancelled/ postponed races is kept dated day after day here.
So Andy, if we're still in good shape, what about a visit either Val de Vienne, Bugatti or another?
Old 15 Mar 2020, 18:53 (Ref:3964387)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
The Great Western sprint, held at Castle Combe, is currently going ahead next Saturday but with no spectators allowed inside the circuit.
This is totally daft. There's about three men and a dog there, spread around the whole 1.8 mile perimeter. There's just as much likelihood of catching toxoplasmosis from slipping on/into cat faeces as there is catching coronavirus.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Mar 2020, 19:12 (Ref:3964392)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
I really hope you're right here Max but in fact I fear you could be proved wrong, unfortunately at least on our continent. And its not my style to be pessimistic. Hope the cancellation of races, historic or modern, will remain a concern. IMO.
Old 15 Mar 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3964396)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
As a club secretary we are cancelling all our events, competitive, tours and social for at least two months. Many organisers and marshals are in the vulnerable age group as are many competitors and the over 70s may be under house arrest soon. It is folly for the big events to go ahead. Neither is it good PR for the sport. I also doubt if many of our foreign competitors will be able to get there anyway!
Exactly that thought went through my mind - though how they will enforce some of the rules they are coming up with I can't imagine. Where will they find the police as a starting point? And then what whill they do with the law breakers? Put them in the prisons they emptied due to the risk of infection transmission?

Not a few people I have spoken to have suggested they will not need to go out shopping because they can get things delivered.

Ok, but how many of the delivery drivers are of an age that is at least somewhat "at risk" ? What happens if they are taken out of the game?

I have been told that some supermarkets have no available delivery slots for at least 10 days - maybe longer now.

Not too many alternative non-shop based food sources around here. There are a few pigeons. And some cats. Anyone know what cat tastes like?

Not much chance with the dogs. They always seem to be on leads so I suppose one would have to "deal with" the owner as well. That might be difficult to cover up - always assuming they have not eaten their pet first before one gets a chance.

Must be about time to watch again "King Rat" in order to pick up a few survival tips ...

Old 16 Mar 2020, 05:11 (Ref:3964436)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Anyone know what cat tastes like?
You mean pussy cats? Or… Please this is a motorsport forum here, Grant…
Old 16 Mar 2020, 05:20 (Ref:3964438)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
So Andy, if we're still in good shape, what about a visit either Val de Vienne, Bugatti or another?
One day, Gerard, maybe.
Equally, you would be welcome to race here. Donington Park, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park are all great (non airfield based) circuits ( the clue is in the “park”) and worth visiting.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 05:46 (Ref:3964441)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
You're a good salesman, Andy. I watched many on-board videos taken at Cadwell it looks so different. Donny looks great too. Till now, raced at Silverstone, visited Brands and Ethel.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 07:10 (Ref:3964449)   #26
Mike Bell
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
If the proposed up to 4 months ‘self isolation’ of U.K. citizens over the age of 70 comes in, even if meetings go ahead there’s going to be a lot of very small historic grids......

Old 16 Mar 2020, 07:19 (Ref:3964450)   #27
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this has to be taken seriously, I live and work in Geneva, have a number of friends who work for WHO and other international organisation working on the virus and whom have very good and confirmed information.

What happened largely over Europe and is gonna spread to UK as well I presume is the fact that infected people were not isolated and spreaded the virus to others, a very volatile one which you can have with no symptoms at all but the elder people, the ones with medical conditions such as ashtma and so on are the ones at risk here first.

Intensive care units are already saturated in a number of regions or countries and that is what also helped the virus spread, they forecast it for the end of next week in a number of Swiss counties, so that is the real concern and also why public gatherings should be limited, so that personnel can be used for what matters.

We are home working from today here, as are most businesses that can do, social distancing prevails, but altogether people must be responsible and I can understand the economic impact but still, the more we will keep people away from each others the less the virus will be able to spread and the earlier we will be able to resume normal life.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 07:41 (Ref:3964451)   #28
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other issue is medical staff for race meetings. With the increasing strain the NHS is under I can't imagine that Doctors will want to spend the little free time they will get at race meetings.

The over 70's quarantine, if it comes in, is futile. I know many in that age group directly and via social media and the vast majority are saying there's no way they're staying in. So many people still seem to think it's just a bad cold.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 07:58 (Ref:3964453)   #29
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not my experience. Older people here are already cancelling local events and gatherings and many are reducing contact with others. It may be minor for most but some become critically ill and emergency beds are limited. The isolation is aimed solely at taking pressure off the hospitals. If you keep going out you may end up in a bed urgently needed by somebody else. Ignoring the request to isolate will be a selfish act and I think most people will come to see it that way and respect it.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 08:06 (Ref:3964456)   #30
MGDavid
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post

The over 70's quarantine, if it comes in, is futile. I know many in that age group directly and via social media and the vast majority are saying there's no way they're staying in. So many people still seem to think it's just a bad cold.
that's simply Darwin at work.....