Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2002, 22:19 (Ref:329028)   #1
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton

A short while back, someone posted a question about when F1 would have a black/openly gay/female/Muslim driver, and this spurred some interesting discussion. One thread in common, as one would expect, was that the basic requirement was (to paraphrase T.S. Eliot) to just be very good. Well, here is an article in today's Guardian online that suggests the possibility that an Englishman, of Trinidadian extraction, may answer the question once and for all.

Hamilton smashes the barriers

I for one think this would be a healthy development, not because F1 has some mandate to be demographically representative, but because its (almost) pure white complexion speaks, to me, of a degree of exclusion and class-boundness that makes me uncomfortable.

Has anyone in Britain seen this guy race? I'd be interested to hear about it.

best,
Bibendum (and sorry for the lousy intermediates!)

Last edited by Bibendum; 7 Jul 2002 at 22:20.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 23:17 (Ref:329058)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In fact it was I who posted the thread in question, its something of a pet issue of mine, as it seems ridiculous, but as everyone has said, we don't want a token black driver, we want ideally the world's 22 best drivers, of whom you would expect more than 1 to not be white or Oriental.

I have seen Lewis race and he looks extremely impressive, I've certainly seen nothing to suggest that he isn't giood enough for F1, but showing that you are good enough is a lot harder in such beginner-level championships. It may well be that because of the Mercedes backing he's had, his development has occurred earlier than most, and perhaps he will reach the limit of his abilities earlier than others. Undoubtedly getting him into F1 would be great marketing kudos for Mercedes.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 05:09 (Ref:329113)   #3
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he hadn't been involved in a serious accident, Jason Watt woould probably have been in F1 by now. Jason was testing for Benetton and a top F3000 driver when he was involved in a motorbike accident leaving him confined to a wheelchair, but still capable of driving, with hand controls, in the Danish touring car championship and fia sportscar series. Still Fast too.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 05:22 (Ref:329117)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Surely you are not suggesting that JPM is pure white? He has a lovely olive complexion.
And if I remember correctly, so did Fangio, and he won quite a few races too.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 8 Jul 2002 at 05:25.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 10:39 (Ref:329244)   #5
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato is technically yellow .
Old 8 Jul 2002, 10:44 (Ref:329249)   #6
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna? Tan?
Old 8 Jul 2002, 10:58 (Ref:329258)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't really get this thread about the colour of skin. Is it that important?

I don't care if the driver was green with pink polka dots and is a Buddhist homosexual, as long as he/she was skillful and deserved to be there....
Old 8 Jul 2002, 11:50 (Ref:329318)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The point behind it is that in most other sports there seems to be a disproportionately high black prescence, yet F1 has not had any, ever. I wonder if there is an element of (perhaps unconscious) discrimination involved. Manoz's view may be a unique one among team bosses.

US NBA basketball is the extreme case, but for example only around maybe 10% of males of soccer playing age in the UK are black, yet look at England's recent world cup squad- James, Sinclair, Heskey, Vassell, Campbell, Ashley Cole and Ferdinand all black or mixed. Countries like Ireland, Germany and Poland all have very small nonwhite populations, yet included black players in their squads. (On the other hand, most nations, including the African ones, have white coaches, but that's another story, and not really F1-relevant)

Tennis and golf were white-dominated, but as soon as Woods and the Williams sisters came along, top titles are being won by them with almost monotonous regularity, could the same thing happen in F1? Is a driver out there lost to F1 despite having comparable talent to Senna or Schumacher, jsut through being black (or Muslim / gay / woman)? Certainly many top female athletes past and present are known lesbians, yet virtually none are known gay (I can only think of 1 openly gay soccer player ever)
Old 8 Jul 2002, 19:01 (Ref:329632)   #9
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
I don't really get this thread about the colour of skin. Is it that important?

I don't care if the driver was green with pink polka dots and is a Buddhist homosexual, as long as he/she was skillful and deserved to be there....
Agree 100%.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 19:11 (Ref:329635)   #10
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i've seen lewis race. hes good and has a great racing future ahead of him.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 20:14 (Ref:329710)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lewis has got the mentality of michael schumacher. he's a friend of mine, and i can talk to him about totally random stuff, he'll be concentrated on that conversation, then the next thing you know he's got in the car and set a fastest lap of anyone. he's a fantastic lad too.

he's a smart kid, and he's going to do very well.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 03:18 (Ref:329893)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bella,(or whoever) the last time I saw something about him on the tube over here, he looked about 12, how old is he now, 16 or 17?
Old 9 Jul 2002, 03:35 (Ref:329898)   #13
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Lewis Hamilton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bibendum
A short while back, someone posted a question about when F1 would have a black/openly gay/female/Muslim driver,
Interesting.....Yoong's dad is a muslim (Hanafiah Yoong), not sure about Alex though.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 08:13 (Ref:329982)   #14
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis is now 17, and competing in his first season in the Formula Renault UK Championship. He's currently fourth in the standings, having had three podium places from the six rounds so far (one in each place), as well as making up 18 places in 18 laps at one race, in a slicks and wings formula.

The guy is certainly impressive, and I see no reason why he shouldn't get to F1. He's definitely talented, and he's one talented British driver who won't have to worry about budget, thanks to the McLaren backing.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 08:43 (Ref:329997)   #15
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His team in Formula Renault, Manor, also ran Kimi in 2000. Lewis, according to the replies I'm getting, could well be in the same league ...

The boy's racing at Croft this weekend (14th July) if anyone fanices taking a look at him. There are some pretty good other drivers in that field too.