Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 May 2003, 17:53 (Ref:597172)   #1
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Close Racing?

Is it my imagination or is the production class a bit dull this year? It's good stuff that we have a good grid of tourers, especially after some of the doom and gloom mongering I and some others indulged in, in these threads in the nothing-much-to talk-about days before the season kicked off.

Having been to both the meeting thus far this year I am of the opinion that the proddy class was a bit strung out. But it can seem like that trackside as we all know. Bit dull on the day but the wonders of TV shed a completely different light on dealings. However, the TV has failed to even make the proddy competion look close, unlike last year. Are there too few cars now in the class.

So the old arguement rears it's head: should the production class have it's own race? Bolster the field. Out-qualifying will (hopefully) become an issue and so the arguement is strengthened. And after the Turkington/Ryan incident the cause must surely have gone forward....
Old 12 May 2003, 18:45 (Ref:597234)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
There are definately too few competitors this year - and it's something that all of the production teams will agree with. Another 3-5 cars are needed to make it a little more entertaining. I know that another 3 cars *should* be out at Silverstone but I cannot guarantee if they'll actually show. Let's hope they do and they're joined by at least another couple in addition!
Old 12 May 2003, 18:54 (Ref:597249)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentwood and Hines seem to drive away from the race, the Varta cars fail to start, and the Alfas ponder around the midfield not doing much (although the Totalamber liveried car looks fantastic)... that's the production class this year pretty much. I do hope it gets better, last year they had some great racing.

Craig - which cars are expected at Silverstone? Presumably the CMS Focus, maybe a 2nd BMW for Ferrier? I noticed Bentwood's car had a couple more sponsors on it at Brands.
Old 12 May 2003, 18:58 (Ref:597260)   #4
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the proddy's very much an afterthought at MP and BH. The tourers would go battling past and then a bit later the odd car would come chugging past. It's not so much the numbers (although more would be better obviously)but the actual racing was as close and interesting as the champ cars. There's a thought. I'm going for a hat trick on the thread front.....
Old 12 May 2003, 19:10 (Ref:597278)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It would be nice to see a second Bimmer but, at the price Edenbridge are asking, I'd doubt you'd see one at this stage of the season - it would only be a viable option if you were to get a full crack at the title and with four rounds down already...

The CMS car is one of those which is expected to be out. But, as far as I am aware, they are still not registered for the championship.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:42 (Ref:597305)   #6
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that with so few cars, it's never going to be edge of your seat stuff.
It is a shame if you compare it tho prodtcion class 2001 and 2002, when it really was super to watch. I think that the fact that so many teams in 2001 and 2002 were paying out so much more money than they expected certainly did'nt help matters.