Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Was Matt Neal's move on O`neil out of order?
Yes. He should try keeping all fours on the gray stuff 20 71.43%
No. There was a gap and he took the chance. 6 21.43%
Who cares is was a racing incident. 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 May 2003, 22:44 (Ref:590434)   #1
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rat up a drain pipe move ( Neal )

Was it just me or did anyone else think Neals move was jst not on..

Last edited by Tim.Lad; 5 May 2003 at 22:50.
Old 7 May 2003, 10:55 (Ref:592198)   #2
Sherman
Racer

Sherman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh I say.....It's just not cricket!!!

There were two incidents at Brands which I thought were a tad unfair, to put it lightly. I know its supposed to be a contact sport, but some of the 'accidents' were just plain rude.

1) Neal smashing into O'Neill on the last corner of the last lap of the first race. Granted he has to go for the win, but simply driving into him is not motor racing. That is just ungentlemanly driving.

2) Thompson violating Turkington near the end of the second race. Again, Thompson couldnt get past him so he just drove into him and forced him out of a well earned 2nd.

Both these incidents could have been avoided. I just feel that theres no point to being a good driver if the easiet way to overtake is simply to smash into the guy in front. Grrrrr

Oh well, rant over, what did everyone else think? I must point out that I was at Paddock Hill, so my view of these accidents was not the best.

Last edited by Sherman; 7 May 2003 at 10:56.
Old 7 May 2003, 11:14 (Ref:592231)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think you mean it's supposed to be a NON contact sport?
Old 7 May 2003, 13:09 (Ref:592347)   #4
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I replied to this topic in another thread so will keep it brief here. I was mere feet away from the incident and while Matt Neal was the fastest car on track and may well have got past O Neill given another few laps, he just harpooned the Vauxhall, no questions asked. How he can be happy with his trophy I do not know?

Well done Paul.... two great races and had fair and square driving and no team orders been in play he would have had a 1..2... the lad's coming up through the ranks very well.
Old 7 May 2003, 13:16 (Ref:592358)   #5
Sherman
Racer

Sherman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, i thought contact was welcome, but the blatantness of those two incidents was a little too much for my liking.
Old 7 May 2003, 13:39 (Ref:592380)   #6
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you not think that Turkington smashing into the back of Chris Ryan and throwing him into the wall was unfair too?
Old 7 May 2003, 15:09 (Ref:592469)   #7
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to me they are ALL capable of this sort of activity and I think we will see even more of it this year than previous. i get the feeling this is a gloves off season.
Old 7 May 2003, 15:19 (Ref:592474)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by manicmarshal
Seems to me they are ALL capable of this sort of activity and I think we will see even more of it this year than previous. i get the feeling this is a gloves off season.
Oh gawd. We know what that means for the 750MC stock and Hot Harch championships then.
Old 7 May 2003, 15:37 (Ref:592489)   #9
KPC
Racer

England
Apart from my front row seat of the Neal Oneill incident, I was standing in Hailwood looking right up the Cooper straight and saw Thommo's move on Turkington. I'd have to have a proper look on the telly, but do think at the moment it was a bit out of order. It can safely be said that once past O Neill Thommo was on Turkington at Druids and just kept pressing home... but as with Neal, desperation took hold... the thought of Muller gaining those points was clearly too much. Much to my Brother's annoyance I have always been a Thommo defender, but I did feel for poor old Turkington... like O Neill, a result, and a good one, was snatched from his grasp by the old school bullies.
Old 7 May 2003, 18:16 (Ref:592658)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was an RTA not a passing move......
Old 7 May 2003, 21:23 (Ref:592895)   #11
Madd_Dogg88
Racer

Madd_Dogg88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Neal's move was completely unfair. Hoe Harvey could say that he was far enough up O'Neill's car is beyond me, his nose was behind the rear wheel! I'm a great supporter and defender of Thoom, but I was a bit dissapointed about his move on Turkington. He was pushing hard, with a few laps left, so probably could have waited. However, he was further up Turkington's car than Neal/O'Neill and if Turkington hadn't over corrected back into James he wouldn't have gone off, just lost 2 places. Still, I'm all for contact in BTCC, but only when it's fair.
Old 7 May 2003, 21:25 (Ref:592897)   #12
Madd_Dogg88
Racer

Madd_Dogg88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry, can't type! I meant How, not Hoe and Thommo not Thoom. lol
Old 8 May 2003, 09:25 (Ref:593241)   #13
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal is choosing not to comment himself at the moment!

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 8 May 2003, 19:06 (Ref:593875)   #14
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me some of the driving on Monday really did justify David Coulthards touring car sentiments that there is little skill or excellence.

Matt was driving like a 'plonker' and in accordance with all pictures, evidence and witness's, there was far from enough space to fit a whole Honda Civic in the gap. My belief is that it was a deliberate tap. Thompson on Turkington was a bit more tit for tat. Neal on Turkington, just damn right sucked!
Old 8 May 2003, 20:31 (Ref:593953)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crickey, it's a shame that Touring Car was reduced to that. Totally out of order IMHO. This year is shaping up nicely, more competitive manufacturers (hopefully), live TV of the whole meeting. Let's hope the driving standards can keep up with it. I don't like watching a good race for it to be reduced to that amateurish unsportsman-like behaviour at the end.

Reido Rules - "plonker" that's not what I thought when I first saw it on Motors the other night!
Old 8 May 2003, 21:09 (Ref:593993)   #16
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't they relax the penalties about contact at one point? If the last two race meetings are anything to go by they might be reviewing it!
Old 11 May 2003, 20:30 (Ref:596282)   #17
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neal move on or not!!!

The question i was left with from brands, and since watching the tv coverage - was matt neal's move on or not!!

I like paul a lot and have to confess in 2000 cheering matt neal for punting off kristensen i think at the same spot

but was it legal and should he have been given a penalty or was it just a brave move

i always say if a car has its nose alongside the front doors a move is on regardless of contact in tourers but neal was more to the rear wheel arch!!

discuss!!?
Old 12 May 2003, 02:29 (Ref:596522)   #18
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trading a little paint is one thing, and is part of the game. Punting cars off belongs in the bangers.
Old 12 May 2003, 12:04 (Ref:596810)   #19
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From watching the TV coverage I saw many things which I didn't trackside. The contact appears to be increasing both in frequency and severity. I hope it doesn't get out of hand!
Old 12 May 2003, 12:11 (Ref:596820)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, although it does seem to attract the audiences when that happens. Unfortunately people seem to want to see paint being traded, door mirrors being knocked off and the occasional (or mnore frequent) nudge or two. I suppose the resulting spins make for good viewing in some peoples eyes. It wasn't that long ago we marshals were being asked to report even the slightest of contact between cars. Does this mean the current organisers are happy or willing to put up with more 'argy bargy' than we are used to seeing?
Old 12 May 2003, 12:34 (Ref:596845)   #21
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They mentioned that Matt Neal was fined for his move, but only £500. Not sure about the other one with Thompson/Turkington.
Old 12 May 2003, 14:30 (Ref:596968)   #22
KPC
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Reido Rules
For me some of the driving on Monday really did justify David Coulthards touring car sentiments that there is little skill or excellence.

Matt was driving like a 'plonker' and in accordance with all pictures, evidence and witness's, there was far from enough space to fit a whole Honda Civic in the gap. My belief is that it was a deliberate tap. Thompson on Turkington was a bit more tit for tat. Neal on Turkington, just damn right sucked!
David Coulthard did drive in the BTCC in a different era and his experience of it accounted for diddly really. He was racing the likes of Mike Smith and my all time baddy Frank Sytner... wouldn't put him in charge of a bicycle myself. Furthermore, DC can't really say much on skill and excellence can he now.... glass houses and all that.....
Old 12 May 2003, 14:35 (Ref:596971)   #23
KPC
Racer

England
Having seen the Thommo Turkington incident on TV I changed my opinion.... as much as a shame as it was I think CT did leave a door open at GHB and try to close it too late.... the result we all saw.