Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Oct 2007, 09:25 (Ref:2041453)   #1
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Servia in for 'Go-Go' Gommendy

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/cham...or_servia.html

due to an 'unresolved business situation'-code for not paying the bills.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:54 (Ref:2041620)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Intruiging as the article still mentions Servia driving the #22 Pay by Touch car.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 14:51 (Ref:2041811)   #3
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh the humanity!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 17:26 (Ref:2041996)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Servia is more than deserving of a ride...
Old 16 Oct 2007, 18:26 (Ref:2042054)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So who'll be moving/swapping/leaving next?
Old 16 Oct 2007, 20:25 (Ref:2042158)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never happy.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 20:38 (Ref:2042170)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm happy Servia is back, never said I wasn't. Delighted in fact.

I just find this impromptu game of musical chairs somewhat amusing! They should be saving this for the off-season party!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2042240)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Excellent News! Servia is much more gracious than I would have been about accepting the "opportunity." His chain has been jerked more than a pit bull's leash.

So, we have had the Canada Cup and the Euro Cup. How about we have the "Business Model Cup!" The driver to drive for the most teams in one season wins!

Dominguez might be ahead here (gracious me, but there are so many changes it just makes my head spin!), but with two races to go, who knows?

I do hope Gommendy's checks clear in the near future so someone else can be pushed out of a ride...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 16 Oct 2007 at 21:44.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 01:57 (Ref:2042327)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You would imagine John, that he would take over the #22 car again and not 'push' someone out of a ride.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 09:47 (Ref:2042484)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The "complaint" about Servia is and has been that he does not want to pay for a ride. Just as he could not get a ride at the beginning of the season, so shall he not keep one when someone with $$ comes along, amen.

When Gommendy's check clears, then his "qualifications" will be in order and Servia will be left holding his helmet bag yet again.

However you attempt to spin this what is going on here is not indicative of a "healthy" series.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:50 (Ref:2042534)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This particular swap is fine, a very talented driver gets to finish the season in place of a comparative nobody. However, that can't detract from the frustrating and embarassing overall picture, where teams are so underfunded that they have to grab a quick buck from rent-a-drives. With the series itself seemingly dictating driver swaps to ensure it has enough local drivers to fill its contracts, and the grid only around 3/4 of what we were promised, the whole thing is a far cry from the glory days. Overall driver talent is fine, but nothing else about the series is strong right now.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2042539)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
However you attempt to spin this what is going on here is not indicative of a "healthy" series.
Whose spinning anything.

It is good there isnt a full time opportunity for Servia - No. But its the reality of the situation, one that faces a huge number of drivers around the world. You pick up the opportunities that arise, as Servia has done in 2007.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 21:38 (Ref:2043127)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
The "Premier Open Wheel Series" in North America should not resemble some sort of "Paychecks" kiosk with a drop box to deposit the check and a revolving door at each team.

Servia is not some kid scrambling to get out of Star Mazda or Atlantics. The fact that pay drives are the norm and that driver funding rather than driver skill is paramount says loads about how far this series has regressed.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:03 (Ref:2043239)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

No one is arguing against what your saying there. In a perfect world we want the best racing in the best teams, 2007 isnt a perfect world. We hope for a better future.

I'd rather watch ChampCar as it is now rather than watch no ChampCar.

On a side note, Tristian Gomeddy after coming in for some criticism has turned out to be solid and competitive steerer for 2007. So he is a driver with sponsorship, but he is a good driver with sponsorship.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:58 (Ref:2043251)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The "Premier Open Wheel Series" in North America should not resemble some sort of "Paychecks" kiosk with a drop box to deposit the check and a revolving door at each team.

Servia is not some kid scrambling to get out of Star Mazda or Atlantics. The fact that pay drives are the norm and that driver funding rather than driver skill is paramount says loads about how far this series has regressed.
Even in Nascar, almost all drivers are pay drivers, in that sponsors play a big role in determining a driver, so much so that a drivers performance isn't as important as what sponsors want and push for. It's just that nascar is flush with money that the difference is apparent.

Same in F1 almost every driver is a pay driver. They either brought a manufacturer or sponsor to the table to make their seat a reality.

If you recall, Servia was a "pay driver" in the gommendy vein. He has gained enough experience that he now wants to turn up helmet in hand and drive. Unfortunately, those type of deals are few and far between in any series.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 04:14 (Ref:2043283)   #16
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This one was so last minute...the pit garage was changed sometime yesterday/last night from Gommendy to Seriva and the newspaper still proclaims Gommendy as being in the car...

Seems like about half the field has been changed since last race...
Old 18 Oct 2007, 10:04 (Ref:2043399)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
The drivers in NASCAR are pay drivers??? Oh, mountainstar! You should be doing stand-up somewhere! If I am ever at the Brock's Skyline Comedy Club on open mic night, I will drop in!

You got that one waaaaay wrong! Yes, the sponsors are key in picking up drivers but the sponsors/teams ID the talent and sign them to drive for them. Not "Will you hire me I have a sponsor!"

Perhaps for the 2nd half of the grid (of 42 cars plus those that don't make the grid, say about 48 cars in all) there are some drivers with a sponsor trying to crack the market but no way are drivers anywhere near the situation that the average CC driver finds himself in.

You are confusing long time associations that often developed after Drvier X went with Team B with Driver X having brought the sponsor to Team B himself.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 15:26 (Ref:2043701)   #18
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Servia should follow the example of JW and try to get a team of investors
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:33 (Ref:2044106)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The drivers in NASCAR are pay drivers??? Oh, mountainstar! You should be doing stand-up somewhere! If I am ever at the Brock's Skyline Comedy Club on open mic night, I will drop in!

You got that one waaaaay wrong! Yes, the sponsors are key in picking up drivers but the sponsors/teams ID the talent and sign them to drive for them. Not "Will you hire me I have a sponsor!"

Perhaps for the 2nd half of the grid (of 42 cars plus those that don't make the grid, say about 48 cars in all) there are some drivers with a sponsor trying to crack the market but no way are drivers anywhere near the situation that the average CC driver finds himself in.

You are confusing long time associations that often developed after Drvier X went with Team B with Driver X having brought the sponsor to Team B himself.
I have some friends in nascar and they have friends as well. I hear the stories first hand everyday. That's just how it works. Commercial considerations are huge in Nascar regarding who drives for who.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:08 (Ref:2044387)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Nor am I bereft of contacts. Of course commercial considerations are huge, as is the amount of sponsorship dollars, but this is more a case where drivers are matched up with sponsors than a driver having to secure a sponsor first and then go looking for a drive.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 09:32 (Ref:2045233)   #21
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From horse's mouth:
Quote:
Robby Gordon Motorsports is prepared to add a second Nextel Cup team in 2008, and team owner Robby Gordon said Friday that Johnny Sauter is a candidate, provided he can bring sponsorship. "We're speaking with Johnny Sauter, who could potentially be available," Gordon said Friday at Martinsville Speedway. "It depends on sponsorship -- either sponsorship he brings or helps me find. It's hard to find [sponsorship] unless the sponsor says, 'That's my guy.' " Gordon said his shop is ready to integrate a second team, and that RGM has nine Cars of Tomorrow completed
Old 20 Oct 2007, 11:19 (Ref:2045296)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
No offense, but Robby Gordon is not exactly a top-tier team owner. The top 8 teams in NASCAR field 27 cars. That leaves 15 spots to be filled plus some of the hanger-on teams.

Naturally $$ flow to the more successful teams without the need for it to be brought by a driver. I would also posit that sponsors seek out skilled drivers to associate themselves with in order to get into the Show.