Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Oct 2007, 13:52 (Ref:2042700)   #26
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JW will be at either nhl or fcr next year.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 15:48 (Ref:2042774)   #27
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
JW will be at either nhl or fcr next year.

as DRT loves to say...............source?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 16:33 (Ref:2042813)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
as DRT loves to say...............source?

He has been linked with both for years now, for a top ride. as rusport has folded I'd say its highly likely he'll end up at either team. any link to him in the IRL? Not gonna happen.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 16:42 (Ref:2042822)   #29
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are rumors about Wilson and ALMS. There have also been rumors (denied AT THIS POINT) that N/H/L will go IRL. IMO, firm predictions don't have much basis yet. Given the history of other teams in CC, I would think N/H/L would be the only one he'd be looking at. Forsythe and PKV swapping out drivers for extraordinary issues (Forsythe to put a Mexican in a seat, PKV to can Gommendy when he ran out of money and shuffle Legge off to Coyne while under contract) would make ME uneasy.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2043153)   #30
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out AGR you know. I can imagine Justin might be interested and I can see the attraction for CDW, but on the flipside AGR doesn't need the sponsors so might not be that interested.

I'm just not sure what there is to gain by staying - yes JW might have his best shot at the championship, and at NHL would be clear favourite, but being the champion in the year after Bourdais leaves isn't exactly going to be a ringing endorsement. Making a splash in a new series might be. I'm sensing by JW's comments that he's isn't short of offers so might make a personal decision for personal reasons. That means essentially all predictions are worthless
Old 17 Oct 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2043180)   #31
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and doesn't JW still have shareholders to answer to?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 00:59 (Ref:2043237)   #32
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out AGR you know. I can imagine Justin might be interested and I can see the attraction for CDW, but on the flipside AGR doesn't need the sponsors so might not be that interested.
Has Canadian club not done a runner ?

Quote:
I'm just not sure what there is to gain by staying - yes JW might have his best shot at the championship, and at NHL would be clear favourite, but being the champion in the year after Bourdais leaves isn't exactly going to be a ringing endorsement.
I disagree. The championship obviously still has meaning and weight (though not as much as years gone by). Bourdias and Allemendinger have found rides in arguably the two biggest series in the world, so in that sense winning or being competitive in the ChampCar series is a benefit.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:49 (Ref:2043247)   #33
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was going to happen the minute russo sold the team all due to the team being based in denver, colorado rather than where the motorsport business is based in the USA(indy charlotte socal). It is hard to obtain parts, services and personnel. As I understand the terms under which rusport was sold that the team and staff would be protected for a period of time.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:13 (Ref:2043329)   #34
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Has Canadian club not done a runner ?
Hmmmm - not sure. I do seem to vaguely recall something about them going with Dario now you mention it.....

Quote:
I disagree. The championship obviously still has meaning and weight (though not as much as years gone by). Bourdias and Allemendinger have found rides in arguably the two biggest series in the world, so in that sense winning or being competitive in the ChampCar series is a benefit.
I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile championship in itself, but surely there would be some loss of value, even if only from a sense of personal achievement in being the best driver, out of those who haven't already left. Would have loved to have seen JW & Seabass in identical machinery though - suspect it would have been close.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2043390)   #35
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think the point Mystery is making is that the championship would mean more in a situation where Bourdais had stayed. In a series perceived to be weak talent-wise, Bourdais leaving makes it even weaker. Thus, should Justin stay and win, a valid question is: who did he beat? Especially in view of the revolving-door at most teams right now.

To mountainstar's point: so far as I know, FedEx goes to Denver, as does DHL, UPS, the USPS and lots of other folks. I mean, how hard can it be to get parts? I understand they also have banks there so that would not be a problem - if there is money, people could still be paid.

Methinks the problem is that being as there is no money, then there is no longer a team.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 11:00 (Ref:2043434)   #36
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It doesn’t matter what spin the champ car fans want to put on this

This is a major blow to the series, RuSport are one of the series strongest teams but have seen their operation shrink during the last year

Rocketsports aren’t committed to next season either yet so it’s a doubt we’ll see them and KK will have to dig deep in his pockets again to keep Conquest on the grid

On the AGR thing, AGR HAVE confirmed that they will remain as a four team next season, that was never ever an issue, that’s just Champ Car fans trying to get a dig in at the opposition

On the same day that Chip Ganassi announced the expansion of his IRL programme, RuSport announced the closure of their team. The tide is swinging in TG’s favour
Old 18 Oct 2007, 13:56 (Ref:2043605)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
KK will have to dig deep in his pockets again to keep Conquest on the grid
??

Quote:
On the AGR thing, AGR HAVE confirmed that they will remain as a four team next season, that was never ever an issue, that’s just Champ Car fans trying to get a dig in at the opposition
No one was suggesting AGR wouldnt be a four car team. The comment was regarding the potential loss of its backer of the #27 car.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:03 (Ref:2043607)   #38
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose there IS a potential loss, but we don't know the length of the contract or any of the other details. AGR announced recently it had 40-plus sponsors for the team, so don't reckon they're hurtin'.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:06 (Ref:2043609)   #39
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
I suppose there IS a potential loss, but we don't know the length of the contract or any of the other details. AGR announced recently it had 40-plus sponsors for the team, so don't reckon they're hurtin'.
There is a difference between Naming rights, presenting and associate sponsors though.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2043618)   #40
indycool
Veteran

Oh, certainly there is.......but that volume, added up, is probably a pretty impressive number.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:14 (Ref:2043621)   #41
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a question: why should AGR enter a car in CC (apart from making CCfans happy )?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:15 (Ref:2043622)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

Is there any other reason needed, Climb ?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2043632)   #43
indycool
Veteran

Yes, there is. Sponsor ROI, series payoff structure, what it can accomplish and what that accomplishment would be worth down the road.......making CC fans happy is not the mission of an IRL team, and vice versa.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:28 (Ref:2043635)   #44
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Just a question: why should AGR enter a car in CC (apart from making CCfans happy )?
Ehh? Has anyone suggested that? If this dates back to my NHL or AGR comment I was suggesting Justin might jump series if he or his sponsors don't fancy CC next year.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 15:02 (Ref:2043667)   #45
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Would have loved to have seen JW & Seabass in identical machinery though - suspect it would have been close.
Maybe you still will - at STR
Old 18 Oct 2007, 19:26 (Ref:2043904)   #46
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Confusion reigns!

When talking about CC and AGR, they mean Canadian Club - Dario's sponsor. It's been confirmed by Chip that CC is not following Dario, and asserted elsewhere that CC is not leaving AGR - but there's no confirmation one way or the other.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:29 (Ref:2044102)   #47
D.R.T.
Veteran

Robin Millers angle on the whole CDW future

Quote:
We told you several weeks ago that CDW was getting out of Champ Car and likely heading for ALMS, but staying with Wilson at Newman/Haas/Lanigan might still be an option.

CDW is in Chicago, like N/H/L, and it’s believed the software clearing house is interested in getting involved with Paul Newman’s Hole in the Wall Gang camps. And CDW would be treated with a lot more class than they have been the past several months.
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/41067/
Old 19 Oct 2007, 00:55 (Ref:2044118)   #48
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I think the point Mystery is making is that the championship would mean more in a situation where Bourdais had stayed. In a series perceived to be weak talent-wise, Bourdais leaving makes it even weaker. Thus, should Justin stay and win, a valid question is: who did he beat? Especially in view of the revolving-door at most teams right now.

To mountainstar's point: so far as I know, FedEx goes to Denver, as does DHL, UPS, the USPS and lots of other folks. I mean, how hard can it be to get parts? I understand they also have banks there so that would not be a problem - if there is money, people could still be paid.

Methinks the problem is that being as there is no money, then there is no longer a team.
John, your recent responses mark you as someone who is not in the business. As someone who is I can tell you yes, with modern tech and transport you could run a team from anywhere. However being based outside of those key areas makes it much more difficult to recruit staff and have ready access to the many subcontractors and suppliers that make the motorsport world turn.

Note Penskes complete merge of race operations and move to North Carolina to a former Panasonic factory. Just makes life and business easier.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2044385)   #49
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Why thank you mountainstar! That description likely fits just about everyone here, not excluding yourself (no offense) despite your protests to the contrary. Whether I am in the business or not makes my point (or yours) no less valid.

The point that was evidently missed is that a team can survive outside of the areas you designated. The implication that was made in your post earlier was that RuSport/RSport/WhateverSport was folding simply because it was based in Denver. The reason they are closing their doors is lack of $$ - not location.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2044601)   #50
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Why thank you mountainstar! That description likely fits just about everyone here, not excluding yourself (no offense) despite your protests to the contrary. Whether I am in the business or not makes my point (or yours) no less valid.

The point that was evidently missed is that a team can survive outside of the areas you designated. The implication that was made in your post earlier was that RuSport/RSport/WhateverSport was folding simply because it was based in Denver. The reason they are closing their doors is lack of $$ - not location.
It does make your point less valid if you have no clue what you are talking about.

Sure a team can survive anywhere with modern tech and transport. The point is that it is easier to do so in those key areas. Rusport always had a hard time from the beginning attracting personnel because of it's location.

As I understood it, Rusports days in Denver were limited once the team was sold. A 3rd car at PKV is more likely.