Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Oct 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3311885)   #26
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
When Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground first opened many years ago they suffered terribly from NIMBY's complaining about noise. (More seasoned locals took the view that "They should have been here when it was an operational Air Base, they'd have known about noise then!"). Once the engines had been silenced these poor people had their perfect Sunday afternoons ruined by (and I quote) the screaching of tyres from cars skidding around the bends!"
Engine noise isn't the only noise, and once the engine noise is removed, all of the other noises (PA is another) will stand out even more.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3311887)   #27
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
You will never, ever please a NIMBY.

I saw a campaign started locally to get farmers to 'apply' to all homes within X miles to use their own fields because of the smell/noise complaints.

These people are growing their food for god's sake!
Old 2 Oct 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3311982)   #28
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

I saw a campaign started locally to get farmers to 'apply' to all homes within X miles to use their own fields because of the smell/noise complaints.

These people are growing their food for god's sake!
I'll have you know they arent growing my food - my food comes from Tescos!

How dare you...suggesting I would eat anything that is pulled from the ground, how unhygienic. Plastic Wrapped to keep the germs out is the only way to go...

note: poor attempt at sarcasm....please ignore and move on if you didnt get that
Old 2 Oct 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3312028)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
(And I agree with him about F3 - but wait, are they not silenced? )
Somewhat, but they've always sounded horrible. They're just quieter horrible now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Meanwhile, they probably mow their lawns at 9am on a Sunday and then spend the afternoon in the garden listening to Radio 2 turned up just high enough to entertain the neighbours. If I had a neighbour who did that I'd waste no time in inviting someone to come and tune their TVR on my driveway.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3313599)   #30
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of nimby's there is a company trying to set up a new industry locally. There are complaining about the noise levels, which have to be less than .................43DB and thats too much for the nimbys
Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3314224)   #31
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
Perhaps we should make Mallory a giant Scalectrix track especially for the Fat Clerk. He can play to his hearts content with his plastic marshals and little plastic CoC and not annoy the neighbours.
This has formed a picture in my head which I can't get rid of. A nice one, though.

And I've got the Jeff Bloxham figure to add to it!