Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Oct 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3315309)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New Career?

Bill is considering hanging up his overalls and taking up a new role as a Steward. I'm thinking of joining him in this new line of business.

We are currently trying to contact folk to get an "inside line". Otherwise, we'll ask at the HotPot supper or the next training day.

Or George Copeland will respond because he is the man who knows all there is to know about officialdom.

Knowing that we are a bit limited these days then still "working" is a plus for us. And Shelagh is still willing to do Donington Pit Hooter - it is in the warm and dry and sitting down after all!

Any advice gratefully received.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3315364)   #2
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, having now been designated on the side bar as "Pit Lane Hooter", I think my future career is done and dusted. Thank You, whichever Mod it was. I love it.

Bill did reckon that "PieLady" was now out of date - or would have caused tummy problems at the least!
Old 11 Oct 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3316186)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been wanting a "Change" for a few years now, but it's a pretty closed shop I feel.
Being an Examining Observer, it's often quite hard to do anything else as we're usually in short supply!
Good luck with your hooters :-)
Old 11 Oct 2013, 10:01 (Ref:3316205)   #4
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Shelagh. I think it's a splendid idea. I've found it quite a 'challenge' not to interfere(!) but both you and Bill have so much experience (and common sense!) and it should be put to good use.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3317485)   #5
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Bill is considering hanging up his overalls and taking up a new role as a Steward. I'm thinking of joining him in this new line of business.

We are currently trying to contact folk to get an "inside line". Otherwise, we'll ask at the HotPot supper or the next training day.

Or George Copeland will respond because he is the man who knows all there is to know about officialdom.

Knowing that we are a bit limited these days then still "working" is a plus for us. And Shelagh is still willing to do Donington Pit Hooter - it is in the warm and dry and sitting down after all!

Any advice gratefully received.
The person to speak to is Chris Hobson. Chris is a very experienced and able Steward (depite what I say!!) who will, I am sure, put you on the right track to becoming a Steward.

I elected not to become a Steward because I did not feel I wanted to become involved in all sorts of other disciplines (karting, drag racing, etc) to qualify. I felt that was a bit like National Service - where carpenters became cooks and cooks became mechanics, etc. I could not see the point of my becoming involved in all these other disciplines where I had no experience or, indeed, interest - at my time of life.

I much prefer Clerking, where you are kept busy most of the day. As a Steward, the whole weekend can go by with little or nothing to do, unless there is an appeal.

The "shadowing" process, where you follow a Steward around during training, gives a good insight into what is involved and is very informative. Well worth a try to see what might interest you.