Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Mar 2004, 12:22 (Ref:913891)   #26
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew, the pic of Sheene & Sytner on the grid fits for 1985 according to my programme and grid notes.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:57 (Ref:916430)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes Sheene raced the ex Percy Supra in '85.

Dougal, no worries mate. I used to love Group A and this is why i got so into motor racing to begin with.

The TT shunted car of '84 was most probably rebuilt and judging by Andrew's picture at Silverstone, could well be it, as it just has the look of some tampering about it?! However i don't have the facts, sorry. If this is the case then it won't be the one you've got!

Out of interest, what's the colour scheme on yours at the mo?
Old 23 Mar 2004, 13:01 (Ref:916436)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I suppose there is also an outside chance that Fearless Frank himself may know what happened to the 635's?
Old 23 Mar 2004, 14:59 (Ref:916571)   #29
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Newman still owns his ex BMW GB car
Old 24 Mar 2004, 09:47 (Ref:917631)   #30
Dougal M
Rookie

Dougal M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chunterer,
Below is the cars current appearance...
Old 24 Mar 2004, 10:02 (Ref:917641)   #31
Dougal M
Rookie

Dougal M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, having large amounts of operator problems (beginners incompetence) attaching an image..will try more!!!
Old 26 Mar 2004, 21:22 (Ref:920549)   #32
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here is a shot of Frank at the August Bank holiday round of 1984 at Brands Hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
84-08-brands-frank sytner.jpg  
Old 26 Mar 2004, 21:33 (Ref:920558)   #33
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry about the quality of the photo, still a bit to learn about posting these on the forum.
BTW, many thanks to Snapper Baz and falcemob for resurrecting a thread in Motorsoprt Art & Photography which has allowed me to post this.
Glyn

Last edited by glyn parham; 26 Mar 2004 at 21:37.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 22:42 (Ref:920625)   #34
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That looks like identical livery to the Donington one I have, although the amount of car in my picture makes it hard to tell. I'm failry sure the ETCC round I was at was '84, but not positive - it was the first 'proper' race I ever went to following the rallysprint the previous Autumn.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 02:47 (Ref:922469)   #35
Milan Fistonic
Racer

Milan Fistonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sytner first drove a 635 at Silverstone on 12 June 1983. This is what Autosport had to say about the car.

Frank Sytner pronounced himself well pleased with the way his BMW 635CSi ran at Silverstone in last Sunday's Group A race, and is looking forward to the rest of the season.
The race was not without its problems, though, as the car was a real handful to drive. "It was understeering through every corner," he said.
The car has been built with full ETC rounds in mind and has on-board jacks and a full quick refuelling system. Sytner plans to take in most of the remaining rounds of the British championship as well as the TT, where he will share the driving with Brian Muir. Muir, who was on hand with advice at Silverstone, has done most of the testing of the car.
But no amount of testing can throw up problems like a race can. The car is left-hand-drive, and Sytner could not read his pit board properly! "All I could see was the car's A-pillar and part of the board. On more than one occasion I thought I was on my last lap. We shall just have to get a bloody great board for next time..."

In the Autosport season review there is this about the car.

Sytner's car was prepared and run by Ted Grace Racing who, united with Malcolm Gartlan, made a welcome return to the series. Until Sytner's backing arrived - and effectively saved the car from being a permanent non-runner - it had been hoped to run the car for Brian Muir. Muir did get to drive the car - in the TT - but tragically died on his way home from that meeting after a heart attack.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 10:44 (Ref:922666)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Malcolm Gartlan that was involved with Galaxies and ex Alan Mann Mustangs and Falcons in the sixties?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 10:47 (Ref:922670)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Oh and Dougal, sorry you're having probs posting images, i'm not an expert unfortunately!

Hope you can get a couple on soon?

Glyn's post above may be helpful?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:57 (Ref:925176)   #38
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Couple of photos of Sytner, the first from the 1983 TT, the second from the BTCC race at Donington in May 1985 during the ETCC meeting. Hope they are of use.
Attached Thumbnails
#29_silvtt83.jpg  
Old 31 Mar 2004, 13:00 (Ref:925185)   #39
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Donington 85...
Attached Thumbnails
sytner_donington_may85.jpg  
Old 26 Aug 2004, 00:40 (Ref:1077558)   #40
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I saw the 635 at Puke in 1990 in a club race -the owner had visions of granduer on its value when i spoke with him
ie wanted the $$$ A FULLY RESTORED CAR WOULD MAKE FOR WHAT LOOKED LIKE A VERY TIRED CAR !!
NOT SURE IF KENNY SMITH STILL HAS 1 635 TO SELL OR IF ITS THE CAR YOU NOW HAVE
Old 26 Aug 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1078509)   #41
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dougal M, I have a really good pic of your car at the 85 Welly street race, coming out of the hairpin, if you're interested in seeing it. Was this car later painted yellow?

You should speak to David Towe. You'll find his details here. He owns an ex JPS M3 and has a very good knowledge of the 635s and the M3s, and their woven histories.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...79#post1078079

Check out the 'Historics Awesome Stuff' thread under Australasian Touring Car area on this site.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1078669)   #42
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My dad has been helping Mike Newman with his 635CSi this year. Its going to be out at Donington later this year. My dad used to mechanic for Mike back when he was racing in BTCC untill he set up a Formula Ford team with Jonathan Lewis.

I'll try to get some information about it. Has anyone got any pictures?