Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Nov 2002, 16:43 (Ref:431463)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PT gets his car

Quote:
Finally, Player's Forsythe Racing is set to confirm its 2003 lineup of Patrick Carpentier and Paul Tracy on Tuesday. The major surprise is expected to be the team's switch from Reynard to Lola chassis.

-autosport

Autosport says that Forsythe is going with Lolas?

How's Patrick with that?

And what about the Reynards - are Players selling them back to Walker (it was Walker, wasn't it?)?

Last edited by paul-collins; 18 Nov 2002 at 16:45.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Nov 2002, 17:31 (Ref:431502)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Gerry bought his Lolas from CART who bought them from Honda. So he probably got them cheap.

The question is: NOW what will PT use for an excuse if he doesn't win the championship?
Old 18 Nov 2002, 17:40 (Ref:431509)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Liz, I know you like PT (and based on sheer talent, I like him too) but you gotta wonder if he shouldn't have a Volvo truck chassis instead of a Lola or Reynard. He needs it if he is going to continue usuing the cars in front of him to slow down for corners rather than use up his brakes. Wonder what Vasser had to say about PT punting him 12 seconds into the race yesterday...

Didn't see much comment on the Forum on that little gem of a move - but geez, even Kendall was speechless during the commentary - I think he called it a "bad decision."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 18:02 (Ref:431532)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, PT made Bell look brilliant, didn't he?
It doesn't really surprise me that the team is switching to Lolas, apparently PT demanded it in his contract. But the whole idea behind next season is for Players to win a championship and go out with a bang. I would think that starting off from scratch with an entirely new car is not going to help that cause. It's going to prove especially difficult for the engineers, as well as for Carpentier.

...and I feel bad for Walker.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 18:12 (Ref:431545)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They had a championship challenger in the Reynard. They probably had the best Reynards, with their own improved bits... Dunno. Hopefully Patrick will hold on with them
Old 18 Nov 2002, 19:37 (Ref:431621)   #6
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping Walker can get some of the new teams using the Reynards, he has said he has had enquiries from current and new teams about them (although it was months ago when I read that) and the Reynards are cheaper, apparantly.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 18 Nov 2002, 19:49 (Ref:431631)   #7
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new rumor is that Forsythe may have a 2nd team (with a nigerian price/paul stoddard/yoong driving), perhaps they'll be using the Reynards. He has an entire shop built for modifying the reynards.

Patrick will have 2
Walker will run his 2
Gentilozzi?
Johanssen?
Old 18 Nov 2002, 20:39 (Ref:431676)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll have more team announcements before the season starts, and some of those are sure to use Reynards.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 20:46 (Ref:431685)   #9
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three entries expected from Forsythe

The Player´s Forsythe team are expected to announce tomorrow that they will run a three car team in the CART series next year, with two running in the traditional Player´s livery for Patrick Carpentier and Paul Tracy, while a third car is rumored to be earmarked for former Minardi driver Alex Yoong, who will bring Malaysian backing to the series.

The team have also put down a deposit to purchase six Lola chassis´ from Target Chip Ganassi Racing and will run back-to-back tests with their current Reynard chassis over the off-season. Paul Tracy in particular has been very clear that he wants to drive the Lola chassis and not the Reynard next season.

from www.cart-racing.com
Old 18 Nov 2002, 20:58 (Ref:431696)   #10
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get this at all- why all of a sudden does everyone want to go with the lola? When did it ever prove to be quicker? Yeah, reynard went banckrupt and a lot of teams switched, but now Walker owns everything and can produce and sell the chassis just like before! It's not like with the swift chassis were it really sucked and won nothing- the reynard is the clearly proven better chassis over the last 5 years. Maybe Forsythe will sell his reynards to some of the new teams. If not, i'd be interested in buyin a couple ...
Old 18 Nov 2002, 21:09 (Ref:431709)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What are the basic differences (better aero, better balance, more mech grip, etc.) between the two chassis? I know PT likes his Lola because it suits his deep-into-the-corner style more than the Reynard. How is it better (for him)?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Nov 2002, 21:50 (Ref:431742)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

More front downforce on the Lola, so it turns in more aggressively. I think the Reynard is better balanced overall, and has a slightly more slippery aero package.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 23:11 (Ref:431812)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, what PT really needs is a Rally Car. If anyone was ever born to be a rally driver, he is that man!

Yes, I like PT. I like men who ARE men and race drivers who ARE race drivers. No one will ever turn PT into a lean, bland PR machine!
Old 18 Nov 2002, 23:25 (Ref:431826)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would this be possible: PT will use the Lola, Patrick will use whatever he thinks is better and the third driver (and from all report it could be *gasp* Yoong!) will use a Reynard.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 00:20 (Ref:431856)   #15
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think so. The two main drivers (Paul and Pat) will most definitely use the same chassis, in order to use each others set up's and such.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 00:57 (Ref:431885)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

They'd need to haul around way too many spare parts!

I mean, just yesterday, PT had to use one of Dario's nosecones during the race.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 17:10 (Ref:432361)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Finally, the announcement has been made!
http://www.teamplayers.ca

Nothing that we didn't already know. And they have confirmed use of the Lola chassis for next season.

The gag order must be up! Can't wait to hear some PT quotes!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 06:00 (Ref:433725)   #18
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, he must have plenty to get off his chest.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 07:15 (Ref:433749)   #19
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where doe's that leave Tagliani?
Old 21 Nov 2002, 07:39 (Ref:433755)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Betcha a buck it's with N/Haas!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 08:12 (Ref:433773)   #21
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll hold on to my buck as you may be correct!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 08:16 (Ref:433775)   #22
Liz
Veteran

There's a good PT interview at the TSN website. Among other things he says he never wanted to go to Indy and he never wants to go back and neither does Forsythe -- and he thinks it is funny that being cheated out of the win there has made him so popular! He was also hurt that Barry Green didn't show up for the last race in Mexico -- personally I think he was ashamed to show up -- and PT says the Green crew was hurt that he didn't come to say good bye.

I bet they're going to be sorry about that gag order really soon.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 08:27 (Ref:433781)   #23
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be an interesting read no doubt. We can dine out on the truth being revealed for half the off season. On another note, Liz have you been following the All Blacks lately? Once again we are rebuilding!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 11:57 (Ref:433889)   #24
Liz
Veteran

double post

Last edited by Liz; 21 Nov 2002 at 12:07.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 12:00 (Ref:433892)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Sorry for the mistake, Paul Tells All on cart.com not TSN.

Here's a little excerpt:

[Quote] His move to Forsythe means Tracy won't race at Indianapolis next year.

"I didn't want to go to Indianapolis this year because I've been a diehard CART supporter," he said. "I argued with the team over going to Indianapolis because I felt it was going to compromise our CART program. Having gone there, in the end it turned out as a disappointment, but on the flip side of the coin I've won a lot of fans because of the controversy. A lot of people that weren't Paul Tracy supporters are in Paul Tracy's corner. So from that standpont, it's good. They're CART supporters, and I don't have any intentions of going back to Indianapolis and I know Gerry doesn't either, nor Player's." [/Quote}

Remember when I said that PT hated Indy?

Read the whole article though, it's very candid.

P.S. Do the All Blacks have a website? We get Rugby only on Saturdays here.