Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jun 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2488312)   #51
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D.R.T really is a fan, he's just yet to admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The support categories have been the saving grace of the 7 telecasts this year, perfectly demonstrated by the Biante series in Darwin.

Theres enough v8 Fords & Holdens on screen without putting the public through a tier 2 v8 series.

D.R.T, for you to judge the Biante Series "the saving grace of the 7 telecasts" would suggest that you do in fact watch the V8 Supercar action on 7. I know this as you benchmark the quality of coverage against another class of racing.

I can also surmise that you have watched the V8SC telecast on 7 more than once by you saying "telecasts this year"

Finally, to add to the confusion, your avatar shows not only V8SC's lining up for a start, but clearly in view is WPS signwriting on the wall. And we all know your thoughts on Gore and WPS!

edit, I was wrong, it's Dodge Viper on pole isn't it? Oops, my bad, although still amused at you openly displaying WPS

So with that, my question to is, why? Why do bother with all the negativity in most of your 5400+ posts when you clearly are a fan?

Don't deny your love of the game D.R.T. Give us something positive.....please?

Last edited by GtiMagic; 22 Jun 2009 at 13:38. Reason: Mistook a Viper for a V8SC!!!!!!!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2488835)   #52
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes my wonder what has happened to the AVESCO board. Larry Perkins has at various times been so vehemently opposed to the changes listed particularly the shock absorber ones but now we don't seem to hear a peep out of him. WHY?
Old 24 Jun 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2489792)   #53
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by profi View Post
Id rather watch a fast car over something i could go down to the dealership buy, strip it out, set of ohlins, some brakes and a cage and go racing. That stuff is for privateers not multi million dollar race teams.
And yet the boss of Holden calls for exactly that
http://inpitlane.com/archives/11161

Quote:
Reuss said the the sport needed modern cars that people could actually “buy, work on, modify and race”
Old 24 Jun 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2490111)   #54
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Reuss said the the sport needed modern cars that people could actually “buy, work on, modify and race”
Isn't that called production cars? Plenty of opportunity for people to get involved or view the class, but it just doesn't seem to speak to the masses like V8 Supercars... hrmmmm...
Old 24 Jun 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2490134)   #55
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its about where the money is. Ford & Holden have poured $millions into V8SC over the last 10 or so years because they saw some percieved commercial return for their headline brands (i.e. Falcon & Commodore). This has allowed V8SC to gain a dominant position in its market - it has become the gorilla of Australian motor racing. However you can liken what's happening now with speculation about the category's future to speculation about the real gorillas future. Its habitat is rapidly changing which puts under threat. Unlike the unlucky gorilla, V8SC has the chance to re-invent itself at the point when it becomes completely obvious that it cannot carry on in its current format. Only question is, will TC and the boys recognise that defining moment??
Old 25 Jun 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2490169)   #56
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WTCC's Answer

A spec powerplant....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Jun 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2490274)   #57
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
can't see that being the answer
Old 26 Jun 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2491387)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i would think there is feedback and research.

i would think the fans vote by going to races and watching it on tv also.

i would also think they need to cut costs and the more competive cars we have the better

But to be honest based on what i see on here, the fans have no idea what the want. the say one thing and sook and complain about when it happens
So what kind of feedback loops are there? There was that survey on V8Superstore a long time ago now.. for the purported purpose of research.. but other than a series of press releases and magazine articles, what changed?

We need to face the very real prospect that the V8Supercar as we know it may not be here in 2011. There may not be a Commodore and Falcon as we know it. There is a school of thought to suggest that the first of these 2 to get a decent diesel engine in their big cars, that petrol will become a thing of the past.

Should the series be heading down the WTCC path, take a mid size car like a Cruze, like a Sonata, like a Mondeo, like a Camry, like a Maxima, like a 6, like a C5, like a Megane, like a 159, like an A4, like a 320i, like an Avenger, like a Jetta, like an Accord...

It is technically possible to shoehorn a V8 engine, bespoke or otherwise, into most of these body shapes. Given that the main IP of V8Supercars is its name, and promise and imagery around V8's... is this the new way of the world?

Or indeed should it be?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2491390)   #59
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
... is this the new way of the world?
Hopefully NOT!

Quote:
Or indeed should it be?
Definitely NOT!
Old 27 Jun 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2491407)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So what cars will be raced if Commodore and Falcon are consigned to automotive history? Does each maker a load of race kits to someone to warehouse and dole out when they are required?

This needs a lot more thought... because in order to evolve... change needs to happen!
Old 27 Jun 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2491569)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon McNamara in the article
"But if it gets to the point where the cars are tubular space frame chassis with fibreglass bodies and stick-on headlights, Holden won’t be racing that. Simple!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon McNamara in the article
“A significant percentage of the fan base still think of them as SS and XR8 done up which is great, plus with E85 and some other stuff we are getting significant learnings out of it.”
Old 27 Jun 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2491758)   #62
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure most can spot that the AMG C-Class and the DTM C-Class don't have much in common, but both are muscle/sporty cars so does it matter?

Anyone who notes the 5 L motor and the live rear axle will be able to notice that a VE Supercar is not based on an SS. But at least they are along the same lines, and the SS is certainly fast enough for the unwary to integrate with a tree even in standard tune.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2491796)   #63
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
"I told you so" - Peter McKay

Old 28 Jun 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2491822)   #64
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Guicci for CEO
Old 28 Jun 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2492679)   #65
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just watching the 1996 season review, why cant the cars be like they were then??? more exiting watching them pick the inside front wheels up in the corners, alot more movement from the cars etc.... why cant they be as simple as they were then? they were certainly more action packed, not to mention probaby had more in comman with their road going counterparts wouldnt mind seeing that again. at the same time u also dont want a production based series either
Old 2 Jul 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2494803)   #66
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Have we just seen a dumbing down of the category?
Perhaps, but I really don't think it matters - V8Supercars have never been a technological marvel.

Compare them to virtually any other major category in the world (except for maybe NASCAR), and they have far less techno-wizardry than virtually any of them.

To be honest, introducing a host of control components should make things more inexpensive, which is a hugely beneficial initiative - as long as it does not detract from the show. I guarantee that less than 1% of the audience actually cares about the specifications of the airbox.

This 14-point plan goes to making the category more affordable to its participants - which will help to address the its future security.

However, there still needs to be a lot of work done on the show - in terms of what the punters see on and at the track, and also what the punters at home on their couches see on the TV. Compare it to the professionalism and the theatre of a NASCAR race and broadcast, and the V8s are really quite poor in comparison.