Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 May 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3823553)   #51
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Irreparable mechanical issue? Why is it always so vague when it comes to BMR?
Old 20 May 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3823555)   #52
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oof. Nasty crash in Clios.
Old 20 May 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3823562)   #53
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Irreparable mechanical issue? Why is it always so vague when it comes to BMR?
It's an engine failure.
Old 20 May 2018, 15:22 (Ref:3823563)   #54
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
It's an engine failure.
Which was a replacement engine yesterday if I remember correctly? Disastrous season so far for them as a whole.
Old 20 May 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3823564)   #55
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which will probably mean penalties as he's already on his second engine.
Old 20 May 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3823567)   #56
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Looks like just a verbal warning for Cook -

https://twitter.com/dunlopbtcc/statu...662669312?s=21
Old 20 May 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3823568)   #57
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan and Plato are not taking part in Race 3. Jordan's looked like death warmed up all day, I'm surprised he's done so well despite the industrial strength manflu.
Old 20 May 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3823569)   #58
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A throw away comment from Steve Rider about Plato not taking part in the third race at Thruxton might be taken to be a not too subtle message that he may also not be completing the season either.
Old 20 May 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3823571)   #59
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A throw away comment from Steve Rider about Plato not taking part in the third race at Thruxton might be taken to be a not too subtle message that he may also not be completing the season either.
I can't believe that any touring car driver, not least someone like Jason, would be content with driving around near enough last place for almost a season and a half. Too early to start the rumours of a replacement?

Sutton starting from pits too... not going well for BMR.
Old 20 May 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3823574)   #60
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Another great day of btcc action, watch on tv this time but great action in last race and no safety cars.
Old 20 May 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3823576)   #61
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I wonder if he will be back this year and will not be surprised if he isn't.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3823579)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Another great day of racing. Glad all the tyres kept together

Good to see the new Hondas up there, Neal proving he’s still got it and a good podium for Cammish too. Shame Brett Smith didn’t really build on his 3rd place on the grid

Glad that the luck was finally on Turkington and Tordoff’s side, they needed it. AJ finishing in the top ten in both races deserves some award

Tingram did well to salvage something after a tough start. But Cook looked inspired in the second race, they’ve really got those Astras working in it’s second season. And Morgan, I hope he has better luck than in his previous Oulton visits. Goff as well in still in it after a good race 3

Scoobys looked nowhere. Why did they gamble on a cheaper engine. Sutton is certainly getting the maximum out of it, but Plato, is the R3 pullout the beginning of the end? Wouldn’t be surprised. They better hope the do well at Oulton and Croft, two tracks that suit RWD

Finally it was good to hear Billy Monger commentating on the F4, he did well
Old 20 May 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3823581)   #63
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
A pretty uneventful weekend by BTCC standards but great racing nonetheless. 1 safety car from 9 races too - thankfully we're no longer in the Alex Martin and Mark Howard days! Wish Thruxton would get a redesign to sort out the last chicane and maybe increase the pit lane length but sadly I think that's outside the track's reach!

The Astra looks the car to beat this season - don't think anyone would've bet that Cook would be fighting for the championship after last year!

Good peformance from Motorbase too, with 3x 4th places for Tordoff, and the permanent Moffat VS Austin battle continues on! Impressive recovery from champion-in-the-making Ingram too.

BMR are in all kinds of trouble. Think it'll be over sooner rather than later, unfortunately. Plato looks to have just given up.

Another disappointing weekend for HARD around a circuit suited to the VWs. Honeslty, I think they'll end up trading one of two TBLs for a new build over the winter, likewise AmD with the MGs looking the stronger pairing!
Old 20 May 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3823583)   #64
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
were could JP possibly go if he leaves BMR ? Dynamics when hell freezes over , WSR I somewhat doubt it , Motorbase don't think either, Eurotech can't see him there

maybe if he pays for a 2nd Speedwoorks car ?

Last edited by porsche962fan; 20 May 2018 at 17:47.
Old 20 May 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3823585)   #65
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best way to go for Plato is retirement. And I'm not saying it with sarcassm or dislike. Like him or not, JP's done a heck of the job not only for his own name but for BTCC in general and he's a legend. But everything ends somewhere and I believe it's high time he left. He's a shadow of his former self and really doubt he could achieve much more in a different car.
Old 20 May 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3823586)   #66
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
were could JP possibly go if he leaves BMR ? Dynamics when hell freezes over , WSR I somewhat doubt it , Motorbase don't think either, Eurotech can't see him there

maybe if he pays for a 2nd Speedwoorks car ?
GT racing as the Pro driver coaching the Am. A lot of drivers do that in Pro-Am GT class racing.
Old 20 May 2018, 19:02 (Ref:3823596)   #67
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I think the best way to go for Plato is retirement. And I'm not saying it with sarcassm or dislike. Like him or not, JP's done a heck of the job not only for his own name but for BTCC in general and he's a legend. But everything ends somewhere and I believe it's high time he left. He's a shadow of his former self and really doubt he could achieve much more in a different car.
Neal won today and I doubt he and Plato have drifted that far apart in ability. Put Plato in a decent FWD car and he'll be in the mix. Can't see him giving up while he's so close to the 100 wins.

Think people are reading too much into the car not being be able to do the 3rd rave.
Old 20 May 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3823599)   #68
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
GT racing as the Pro driver coaching the Am. A lot of drivers do that in Pro-Am GT class racing.
Classic racing.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3823601)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Neal won today and I doubt he and Plato have drifted that far apart in ability. Put Plato in a decent FWD car and he'll be in the mix. Can't see him giving up while he's so close to the 100 wins.

Think people are reading too much into the car not being be able to do the 3rd rave.
Yeah but how far do we go with this? First, it was because the chassis was bent, then it was the engine, now he just needs a good FWD car. Whilst I'm sure he's not that bad, it does seem like we'll just keep trotting out excuses for him.

The car isn't that bad given Sutton won a title with it and still sits top 10 this year after a horrific weekend. If it was all the car then surely somebody would put him in a FWD car and we'd find out?
Old 20 May 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3823605)   #70
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes, might not be back. Angry, frustrated, disappointed and sad would all describe JP today. Possibly today was his last outing in a BMR car.

There's always room on the TCR UK grid. Possibly a good deal to be had on an ex Moffat Alfa! 😁
Old 20 May 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3823614)   #71
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
N.B. I honestly do believe Plato would be in the mix if he'd sorted himself a ride elsewhere for this year... maybe he was too close to the situation last year that he couldn't see how bad things were at BMR. Or maybe he's contractually or financially stuck?

Still, even with one oldie struggling it was good to see Matt Neale back at his brilliant best. Dynamics have done very well getting the new motor up to speed so soon.

Thought the racing was good and clean and the ballast did enough to mix things up. We don't need mandatory non-optimal tyres in BTCC to ensure there's some entertainment.

Title looks more open than for a long time: I think Tingram, Morgan, Goff, both Dynamics and both PMR are in with a shout. Never discount Turks either, I'm sure he'll make the most of Oulton and Croft...
Old 20 May 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3823619)   #72
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turks is just 18 points behind the leader

with Oulton and Croft coming you would have hard pressed betting against him leading into the summer
Old 20 May 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3823622)   #73
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
Yeah but how far do we go with this? First, it was because the chassis was bent, then it was the engine, now he just needs a good FWD car. Whilst I'm sure he's not that bad, it does seem like we'll just keep trotting out excuses for him.

The car isn't that bad given Sutton won a title with it and still sits top 10 this year after a horrific weekend. If it was all the car then surely somebody would put him in a FWD car and we'd find out?
Why would someone put him in an FWD car? Would you expect Mercedes to put other F1 drivers in their car to show that they could win as well as Hamilton?
Old 20 May 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3823665)   #74
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He’s staying in RWD. As for Mercedes drivers in F1, well I guess we could find out next year if Bottas is moved on. But anyway....
Old 21 May 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3823710)   #75
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post

Scoobys looked nowhere. Why did they gamble on a cheaper engine. Sutton is certainly getting the maximum out of it, but Plato, is the R3 pullout the beginning of the end? Wouldn’t be surprised. They better hope the do well at Oulton and Croft, two tracks that suit RWD
This comment interests me - what leads you to say that the engine is cheaper? Cheaper than what?

I understood that they are running engines from Swindon this year, due to a contractual issue with Mountune? If they are also cheaper, perhaps that is all they can afford?

The first half of R3 was the real telling point in my eyes - all weekend Sutton was further up the field than either JP, and this could be attributed to Qualifying. However, when Sutton had to start from the back in R3, he was still able to make significant places through the field, something not really seen from the other cars.

The Subaru is capable of getting good results still, but seemingly not in the hands of a JP?