Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Feb 2021, 16:09 (Ref:4036196)   #7876
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
VW-group did the same thing in TCR: the Audi, VW and Seat were all developed and built by Seat Sport on essentially the same platform.

And in GT3, the Lambo is pretty much a re-skinned Audi as well.
True but the VW, SEAT and Audi are based on the same platform and engines.
For me Porsche is still a brand outside the traditional VAG brands, although that border is dissolving, see Porsche Taycan - Audi e-tron GT.

Same engine is unfortunate but understandable. I hope the body will be very different.
Old 21 Feb 2021, 23:29 (Ref:4036248)   #7877
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
So it will be basically a kit car.... same lmdh, different bodywork.
How much different bodywork remains to be seen. Maybe just badges.
Old 22 Feb 2021, 11:42 (Ref:4036287)   #7878
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
Well, we know there will be plenty of red, white and black....... sadly.
Old 22 Feb 2021, 13:09 (Ref:4036299)   #7879
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, we know there will be plenty of red, white and black....... sadly.
^ true
Old 22 Feb 2021, 16:08 (Ref:4036320)   #7880
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s always good to have cars of different colours, but as long as we have plenty of cars, with many different makes competing, anything else is a bonus
Old 22 Feb 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4036328)   #7881
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
huracan and R8 have different wheelbase and R8 is a bit taller than huracan, so they are not made by the basic platform... they have a lot of common parts like engine and general drivetrain but space frame chassis of two cars is different.

I think you are wrong, however I won't continue to debate so as to not derail the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
Old 22 Feb 2021, 19:04 (Ref:4036333)   #7882
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
I think you are wrong

to close this offtopic, you may think I'm wrong but reality disagrees with you
huracan wheelbase 2620mm - height 1165
R8 wheelbase 2650mm - height 1230

how can 2 cars have the same chassis/base if wheelbase and height is different?
we could say that R8 and huracan have similiar aluminium frame space chassis, but then we should include also tons of other cars like 488 etc...

btw, if will be just a badge/minor bodywork details why don't call the car VW lmdh + porsche/audi package?...
Old 22 Feb 2021, 22:33 (Ref:4036355)   #7883
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

btw, if will be just a badge/minor bodywork details why don't call the car VW lmdh + porsche/audi package?...
Just call it a Beetle and be done with it......
Old 22 Feb 2021, 23:03 (Ref:4036356)   #7884
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Just call it a Beetle and be done with it......
I can easily predict a 2023 meme

kid pointing a 2017 919 hybrid: mom, will you buy me that car?
mom: we have already one at home
porsche at home: 2023 audi/porsche lmdh
Old 23 Feb 2021, 12:18 (Ref:4036418)   #7885
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now we are really getting ahead of ourselves. But yeah I think some will quickly get nostalgic for previous LMP cars and we'll see people continue to race them. I'm sure we will get a historic series for them in good time. Hopefully though we can have a good variety of cars at Le Mans from lots of different makes and different sizes too.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4036488)   #7886
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
how can 2 cars have the same chassis/base if wheelbase and height is different?
Because many cars are built on modular platforms nowadays.

In this case, the platform is the Modular Sports System:
'The Type 4S is based on the Modular Sports System platform shared with the Lamborghini Huracan.'

'The new R8 stands on the thoroughly updated platform of the predecessor, now called MSS, or Modular Sports System. It is shared with the Lamborghini Huracán, but it doesn't bear any similarity to the Porsche 911.'

'Down the years a lot of comparisons have been drawn between Audi’s R8 and Lamborghini’s junior supercars; first the Gallardo and now the Huracan. They are about the same size, built on a shared platform and use the same 5.2-litre V10 mounted behind a pair of seats.'
Old 23 Feb 2021, 19:40 (Ref:4036496)   #7887
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Now we are really getting ahead of ourselves. But yeah I think some will quickly get nostalgic for previous LMP cars and we'll see people continue to race them. I'm sure we will get a historic series for them in good time. Hopefully though we can have a good variety of cars at Le Mans from lots of different makes and different sizes too.
This case is different, because is a really cheap way to promote 2 brands with minimal effort. Imagine to come back in 2007-2008 with audi and porsche using the same car in ALMS instead of R10 and rs spyder.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 19:55 (Ref:4036498)   #7888
canaglia
Veteran

I never denied huracan and R8 have similiar chassis, the two cars just can't have the same chassis for the given reasons, it's not an opinion, it's a fact.
Being made by the same modular platform isn't a big new actually...
almost all manufacturers have some kind of shared (modular or not) platform for the production of their cars of the same segment.
Excluding laferrari that was made on a carbon tub, also ferrari street cars are made from a designed shared platform of aluminium spaceframes...
Platform of aluminium spaceframes is shared, different chassis in size and proportions are made from that.
For mclaren super/hypercars is the same, difference they use a shared carbon tub platform.
Aside that, it's not the case of audi/porsche lmdh since according to these rumors it will be the same cars with some different bodywork parts (at best).
At the end it won't even be about choosing between audi lmdh or porsche lmdh, but which brand can support better the team.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 02:59 (Ref:4036541)   #7889
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
They have different roofs but it's the same floorpan and subframes.

The second generation R8 and Huracan have the same wheelbase, it's the old R8 that was 30mm longer.

Because the aero is different the BoP is different but the race cars are very similar otherwise, to the point the steering wheels are the same.

Old 24 Feb 2021, 09:02 (Ref:4036568)   #7890
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post

The second generation R8 and Huracan have the same wheelbase, it's the old R8 that was 30mm longer.

to the point the steering wheels are the same.

wrong again,
https://assets.motorwebs.com/audi/brochure/R8.pdf
2017 R8 V10 and V10plus (basically second gen R8) wheelabse 104.3in

https://zeperfs.com/en/fiche5170-lam...n-lp-610-4.htm
https://www.lamborghini.com/it-en/mo...an/huracan-evo
huracan 610-4 and hurcan evo wheelbase 103.1in

it's not if you keep on writing they have the same wheelbase 100 times, then they will get the same wheelbase for magic...

since you're still focusing on wheelbase, I think you didn't read a word of my previous post about how manufacturers design and use shared platform for the lineup chassis production, so I have nothing else to say about this since the discussion seems to have fallen to the point: "this is true, because I say it's true"
Despite official data, you still think the two cars have same wheelbase and so the exact same chassis? ok... it's fine to me.

PS. I'll drop you another plot twist... racing cars steering wheels are usually designed by hired third parties (the m4 gt3 sw is designed by fanatec, who made also mclaren 720s gt3 sw at example). Huracan gt3 and R8 gt3 having same sw basically means nothing but both cars using bosch ECU and related hardware like sw controls.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 11:39 (Ref:4036605)   #7891
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
wrong again,
https://assets.motorwebs.com/audi/brochure/R8.pdf
2017 R8 V10 and V10plus (basically second gen R8) wheelabse 104.3in

https://zeperfs.com/en/fiche5170-lam...n-lp-610-4.htm
https://www.lamborghini.com/it-en/mo...an/huracan-evo
huracan 610-4 and hurcan evo wheelbase 103.1in

it's not if you keep on writing they have the same wheelbase 100 times, then they will get the same wheelbase for magic...
it's not if you keep on writing they have a different wheelbase 100 times then the chassis' must be different, then they will get a different chassis for magic...

A plot twist for you - having a different wheelbase does not mean you have a different chassis.

You are focusing on the difference in wheelbase as being proof that the cars do not share a chassis. In that case - can you explain the following statement:
'A new aluminium and carbon-fibre chassis shared with the Lamborghini Huracan means it weighs 50kg less than its predecessor, but is 40 per cent stiffer. [...] The chassis is shared with the Lamborghini Huracan (although the wheelbase is stretched by 3cm), and uses the same combination of aluminium and carbon-fibre.'

Or maybe more pertinent, comments from Dr Ulrich Hackenberg:

'the new Huracan chassis is adaptable and will underpin a series of models. In the Huracan's case it amounts to a 50 per cent increase in stiffness compared with the Gallardo's all-aluminium design with a simultaneous 10 per cent reduction in weight. Like the Gallardo and current R8, the engineering expertise that's gone into it comes out of Audi's Neckarsulm plant and combines Audi Space Frame aluminium production techniques with new productionised carbon fibre. In the Huracan's case - and the next R8's - it'll be a chassis for mid-engined cars with longitudinal engines and four-wheel drive. The initial plan is four models across two brands using this chassis.'

So why do I assert that the Huracan and R8 use the same chassis, because the former Board Member for Technical Development at Audi says that is the case.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 11:57 (Ref:4036614)   #7892
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is drifting away from the threads subject
Old 24 Feb 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4036618)   #7893
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
This is drifting away from the threads subject
Drifting - we've drifted and we're beached on a tropical island.

(Apologies for derailing the thread - I'll post no more on the topic of two cars with the same chassis).
Old 24 Feb 2021, 12:11 (Ref:4036620)   #7894
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep. Time to move on folks.....
Old 24 Feb 2021, 12:44 (Ref:4036632)   #7895
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
it's not if you keep on writing they have a different wheelbase 100 times then the chassis' must be different, then they will get a different chassis for magic...

A plot twist for you - having a different wheelbase does not mean you have a different chassis.

You are focusing on the difference in wheelbase as being proof that the cars do not share a chassis. In that case - can you explain the following statement:
'A new aluminium and carbon-fibre chassis shared with the Lamborghini Huracan means it weighs 50kg less than its predecessor, but is 40 per cent stiffer. [...] The chassis is shared with the Lamborghini Huracan (although the wheelbase is stretched by 3cm), and uses the same combination of aluminium and carbon-fibre.'

Or maybe more pertinent, comments from Dr Ulrich Hackenberg:

'the new Huracan chassis is adaptable and will underpin a series of models. In the Huracan's case it amounts to a 50 per cent increase in stiffness compared with the Gallardo's all-aluminium design with a simultaneous 10 per cent reduction in weight. Like the Gallardo and current R8, the engineering expertise that's gone into it comes out of Audi's Neckarsulm plant and combines Audi Space Frame aluminium production techniques with new productionised carbon fibre. In the Huracan's case - and the next R8's - it'll be a chassis for mid-engined cars with longitudinal engines and four-wheel drive. The initial plan is four models across two brands using this chassis.'

So why do I assert that the Huracan and R8 use the same chassis, because the former Board Member for Technical Development at Audi says that is the case.

Buddy wasn't trying to listen, and I knew we'd drift off topic which is why I let this go. Thanks for this though.

Anyway, I'll leave it at the Huracan GT3 and R8 GT3 will probably be far more dissimilar than the Audi/Porche LMdh cars, which imo is a downright tragedy. Might as well be LMP2h+ or - really.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4036679)   #7896
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodbye favourable BOP to LMDH...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...from-2023.html
Old 24 Feb 2021, 15:30 (Ref:4036683)   #7897
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
Didn't that go out the window when French manufacturer was confirmed in LMH?
Old 24 Feb 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4036685)   #7898
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Didn't that go out the window when French manufacturer was confirmed in LMH?
Possibly, but this will be a whole New Level. Ferrari will want the Centenary Trophy, and won't want to be beaten by a cut-price-cheapo competitor. Not sure Pug would have the same influence. But we'll see...
Old 24 Feb 2021, 15:38 (Ref:4036691)   #7899
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Wow! Finally! Ferrari returns!

Please call it the 333SPH
Old 24 Feb 2021, 15:42 (Ref:4036703)   #7900
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep.