Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 May 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3067937)   #1
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 Trans-Am Series

Um, does anyone have information on the current season of the SCCA Trans-Am Series?

Will they have any coverage, will this year make the series more exciting as the organization tries to bring back to its glory days? Please let me know...
Old 1 May 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3068077)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh there was a thread after all, and a very very recent one... strange, didn't show up on search. Anyways...

You may read about the so-called TV deal here:
http://www.gotransam.com/latest-news...nce-reach.html
Old 2 May 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3068302)   #3
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thing someone is interested on Trans-Am... Anyway, I hope this year will have live-coverage online too!
Old 2 May 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3068337)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Anyway, I hope this year will have live-coverage online too!
Not gonna happen I'm afraid...

Only Road America is a joined event with ALMS this year. I still find it funny how the works GT2 Corvettes are slower than those on the support category...

Last edited by Deleted; 2 May 2012 at 15:11.
Old 2 May 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3068403)   #5
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I definitely have some deep longing for the mid-90's to early oughts era of Trans-Am.

The cars are still impressive but here's something about the old 310 motors that I miss. And the big sponsors. And the handful of factory drivers. And the (small amounts of) factory money.

Unfortunately Trans-Am fits in the "too hard to follow for no payoff" category.

Chris
Old 2 May 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3068457)   #6
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Not gonna happen I'm afraid...

Only Road America is a joined event with ALMS this year. I still find it funny how the works GT2 Corvettes are slower than those on the support category...
Really, didn't know that! But I heard that those Trans-Am cars can have up to 700+ horsepower.

Still, if Trans-Am was well managed, it would bring this series back to the spotlight, and eventually joined Super GT and DTM on the rule unification. (which is currently in doubt, ATM) Of course, it's gonna be a hassle on whether those Trans-Am car can make it lighter and stronger while losing some HP to 500.
Old 2 May 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3068473)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

I think the problem is that you can hardly put the present-day Trans-Am in the top10 US sportscar series, let alone top5...
Old 2 May 2012, 20:30 (Ref:3068475)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
If there were to be a DTM-offshot under the Trans-Am name, it would only be because the manufacturers in DTM bought the naming rights from SCCA.

The current bunch of T/A-owners has no reason and interest whatsoever to switch to more complicated, more expensive and less powerful machinery (and face the oppossition of multi-million factory squads, one might supposse).
Old 3 May 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3068581)   #9
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
If there were to be a DTM-offshot under the Trans-Am name, it would only be because the manufacturers in DTM bought the naming rights from SCCA.

The current bunch of T/A-owners has no reason and interest whatsoever to switch to more complicated, more expensive and less powerful machinery (and face the oppossition of multi-million factory squads, one might supposse).
Yes, you're right... Right now, the current owners of Trans-Am are helping this series to survive and strive to gain more following.
Old 3 May 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3068852)   #10
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the silhouette nature, but Trans-Am should be about muscle cars, not sportscars. Corvette and Jaguar need to make way for the Challenger and Camaro. This series should mirror V8 Supercars or V8 Superstars with gobs more power.
Old 3 May 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3068912)   #11
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I like the silhouette nature, but Trans-Am should be about muscle cars, not sportscars. Corvette and Jaguar need to make way for the Challenger and Camaro. This series should mirror V8 Supercars or V8 Superstars with gobs more power.
Unless someone like Chevrolet or Dodge convince Rocketsports Racing to switch their Jaguar XKR to either a Camaro or a Challenger, that is.

And you're right, I agree that having silhouette cars in Trans-Am sets them apart from either from SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge or Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. Still, I hope next year would survive and grow into one of the big racing leagues in North America.

And maybe, Trans-Am can expand to South America while either Super GT or DTM would take notice. Of course, The Big 3 from Detroit should give them factory support from local teams there in Trans-Am.
Old 3 May 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3068918)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Still, I hope next year would survive and grow into one of the big racing leagues in North America.

And maybe, Trans-Am can expand to South America while either Super GT or DTM would take notice. Of course, The Big 3 from Detroit should give them factory support from local teams there in Trans-Am.
Trans Am is pretty much dead, in terms of becoming a big league again. What it is now, is likely as much as it will ever be. A home to some tube frame privateers/amateurs, who enjoy the machinery. Enjoyable cars to watch, but it's day in the sun has passed.
Old 3 May 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3068946)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
You're right the big 3 us automakers have cars that would be perfect for the series, but there just isnt the manufacturer interest.
Old 3 May 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3068969)   #14
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love Trans-AM! The cars are so cool to look at. I know that this series is pretty much done for in terms of getting international attention, but I would love to see it in the spotlight just one more time. (UK coverage please!)

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 3 May 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3068978)   #15
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I think they missed their golden opportunity for manufacturer involvement half a decade ago when all the retro-muscle cars flourished. I know there are exciting version still coming out, but many expect this niche decaying soon.
Old 3 May 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3069024)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Come on, folks! The home for current-gen Camaros and Mustangs are the Conti Challenge and the SCCA World Challenge. Trans-Am is history.
Old 4 May 2012, 04:29 (Ref:3069081)   #17
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Come on, folks! The home for current-gen Camaros and Mustangs are the Conti Challenge and the SCCA World Challenge. Trans-Am is history.
Well, if only SCCA recovered Trans-Am earlier before the brink of collapse.
Old 4 May 2012, 04:42 (Ref:3069085)   #18
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going with the NASCAR motors was probably the best idea, but it isn't unreasonable (cost-wise) to wish they insisted on hotted up versions of the road car motors and allow only the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger bodies in the series. Keep the current tube frames, but only the "pony car" bodies with flat bottoms, no wings.

Someone is also going to have to put up some money to buy an attractive TV package, pray for a sponsor to become interested in the series to put up a couple million for the series title (I know I'm dreaming).

Considering Gregg Pickett gave up on it, I don't expect the series to be revived beyond where it is now.

Chris
Old 4 May 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3069089)   #19
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
You know what? SCCA World Challenge kind of is the modern day version of what Trans-Am used to be all about during its muscle car era. I wonder if they thought about giving it a suitable name.
Old 4 May 2012, 06:53 (Ref:3069116)   #20
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Going with the NASCAR motors was probably the best idea, but it isn't unreasonable (cost-wise) to wish they insisted on hotted up versions of the road car motors and allow only the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger bodies in the series. Keep the current tube frames, but only the "pony car" bodies with flat bottoms, no wings.
Um, I don't think the cars won't stick to the course for too long without having wings... With so much Horsepower and lightweight construction on the tube-frame, it's gonna be a disaster without having downforce.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3107775)   #21
Deleted
Veteran

So I finally watched the Mosport highlights package, dunno if I can be bothered with the rest... the quality of the show itself is pretty much what you would expect from Go Racing TV production, you know something I could probably come up with my gear and editing software. B-class camera shots from start/finish straight, random shaky onboard cams, plenty of ads and interviews after interviews after interviews, but what kills the show is the god damn announcer.

Alfredo Nin... oh my god, who hired that dude? Why? Did he sleep with the producer's daughter or something? Is he the producer? Why is the series calling him "veteran"? What's going on? You might be expecting to hear some American commentary from a series that strogly markets itself as American road racing series, but no, we have this tidious little Dominican with presenting skills of a high school student, as well as extremely thick accent.

OK so I'm not blaming him for his english, let's face it I probably wouldn't have any more credibility with my accent either, but why is he there? You could have anyone doing those interviews or voiceovers, they even had Greg Creamer and his buddy standing there for a few seconds (looking bored)

The worst part was when this hilarious Dominican does voiceover for the race itself and screams like a retarded horse when someone makes a pass (dunno who because it's not explained) and then imitates some funny noises that are about as funny as filling tax forms for your swedish grandmother who despises you

"And we take a look again, at what was the start of the race, onboard car number 23, driven by the lady, the WOMAN, Amy Ruman, CHIP CHIP CHIP CHIP CHIP"

What the **** am I watching? The Room?

Last edited by Deleted; 17 Jul 2012 at 23:32. Reason: Dominican, not jamaican
Old 17 Jul 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3107779)   #22
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So I finally watched the Mosport highlights package, dunno if I can be bothered with the rest... the quality of the show itself is pretty much what you would expect from Go Racing TV production, you know something I could probably come up with my gear and editing software. B-class camera shots from start/finish straight, random shaky onboard cams, plenty of ads and interviews after interviews after interviews, but what kills the show is the god damn announcer.

Alfredo Nin... oh my god, who hired that dude? Why? Did he sleep with the producer's daughter or something? Is he the producer? Why is the series calling him "veteran"? What's going on? You might be expecting to hear some American commentary from a series that strogly markets itself as American road racing series, but no, we have this tidious little Dominican with presenting skills of a high school student, as well as extremely thick accent.

OK so I'm not blaming him for his english, let's face it I probably wouldn't have any more credibility with my accent either, but why is he there? You could have anyone doing those interviews or voiceovers, they even had Greg Creamer and his buddy standing there for a few seconds (looking bored)

The worst part was when this hilarious Dominican does voiceover for the race itself and screams like a retarded horse when someone makes a pass (dunno who because it's not explained) and then imitates some funny noises that are about as funny as filling tax forms for your swedish grandmother who despises you

"And we take a look again, at what was the start of the race, onboard car number 23, driven by the lady, the WOMAN, Amy Ruman, CHIP CHIP CHIP CHIP CHIP"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSJ3...layer_embedded

Why does he keep repeating incoherent words like CHYP CHYP CHYP CHYP CHYP? Talks like he is on an acid trip, although fitting commentary for the current state of the series.

Good god Trans Am is a joke these days, how the mighty have fallen.

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 17 Jul 2012 at 23:54.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 23:59 (Ref:3107781)   #23
Deleted
Veteran

Maybe he should join the Eurosport family, imagine him and Carlton Kirby doing live commentary for WEC... epic times. And while you are at it, hire Robbie Nock as your pit lane reporter
Old 18 Jul 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3108121)   #24
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I might have to watch it now just for kicks and grins.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3108190)   #25
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I like racing, that is just unwatchable; on any level. Just found myself fast forwarding though the entire video to find the racing bits, got to the end and didn’t see any…so did I miss anything? Never mind, I know the answer.