Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 20 Jan 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1205584)   #1
Chrome Orange
Rookie

United Kingdom
Essex
Chrome Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Singleseater as trackday car?

I trackday my Elise but looking for the next step up. Have been considering a Radical but...
A) Very expensive to buy
B) Very expensive to run it seems with rebuilds every 40 hours being quoted.

I see single seaters at £3000 upwards with roadcar based engines and assume this could be a way of having Radical fun at lower costs.

That's the idea, anyone have any experience or advice. All would be appreciated.

thanks,

Chrome Orange.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1205748)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't quote me, but I don't think theres many (if any) companies that let people use a Single Seater as a trackday car, somehting to do with it being an open-wheeler. The only option for them are test days, costing ££££.

I'm sure someone will know the answer.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1205864)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's certainly the policy of most.

Very much on safety grounds.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1205931)   #4
tubthumped
Rookie

US Virgin Islands
On the edge......
tubthumped should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington allow single seaters on their track days.
MK2 Golf GTI | 2.0 16v | Lightened flywheel | Dave Crisell flowed head | SEAT ABF cams | Flowed throttle body | 183bhp | Helix 4 padel clutch | Helix motorsport Group N pressure plate | Quaife ATB | VW Motorsport 3.94 Final Drive | Hotgolf built gearbox | Spax coilovers | Eibach ARB's | Poly Bushed | Compomotive MO's | Michelin Slicks | 280 brakes | Ferrodo DS3000 pads | Safety Devices roll-cage | OMP Bucket seats
Old 21 Jan 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1206162)   #5
Chrome Orange
Rookie

United Kingdom
Essex
Test days are expensive? More expensive than track days? I had heard the opposite. This doesn't sound good so far.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1206356)   #6
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Aintree Track days

Liverpool Motor Club run two track days at Aintree and single seaters are always welcome. The club find a lot of racers and sprint drivers use these days as test sessions. Useful for running in engines etc.

Most track day businesses will not touch single seaters with a barge pole due to the insurance implications.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1208710)   #7
Chrome Orange
Rookie

United Kingdom
Essex
So it's sounding like some track days at some tracks, but test sessions too? Is there any forum/web site established for this kind of driving with this kind of car?
Old 24 Jan 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1208721)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's always the Sheane produced "Formula 5" which is a single seater based on standard off the shelf car components (VW I think) but has an optional clip on "sports car" body kit.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1208729)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am reasonably confident that the track days run at Donington by Donington Park's own team allow in Single Seaters - I've been there myself, although not for a while. I think that Bruntingthorpe will also allow single seaters to run. However, I think that most external operators prevent it now for safety/ insurance reasons.

Nevertheless, you are right that some single seaters can be bought very cheaply. I have a Formula Vauxhall Junior 16 Valve which cost me £5000 inc a scruffy but useable trailer, wets, slicks, petrol can, spare battery, quick lift jack etc. I get second hand tyres from the F Ford teams at £10 each (usually just 40 laps old). The engine in my car is a standard Corsa unit with dry sump and throttle bodies and kicks out about 140 bhp in a car that weighs just 530 Kilos, with me in it. Performance is excellent and a decent driver (not me) will lap Silverstone National at 94 mph and Mallorty at 98 mph.

What I am getting round to is that you could buy a similar car (I know where there are 2 or 3 cars available and there must be loads of F Ford Zetecs around), run a few track days at Donington/ Bruntingthorpe and then do your ARDS licence and go racing! Mallory Park test sessions cost £85 for a morning, every wednesday and you can race with the BARC-SEC on the Silverstone Stowe circuit for £110 (practice and 2 races). Also check out www.monoposto.co.uk - the Monoposto club is the one I race with and is excellent, or PM me and I'll happily give you more info.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1208982)   #10
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its certainly true that testing can be costly - but so can track days at the best circuits. On average testing costs about £200 per day and there is non of that "nanny state" don't overtake unless the driver in front has slowed to 10mph and indicated.

With Radical clubsports being advertised for about £8k with rebuilt engines and spares that sounds pretty good value to me. 40 hours for a rebuild will give you at least a season of racing and testing. You can run them in the Semsec series based at Lydden Hill or things like the www.750mc.co.uk bikesports series where they should ge very well.

Personally if I was going to buy a car to use for messing around/trackdays/testing and maybe some racing then I would not get a single seater as there are less places to use them and you cannot take your friends out in one to scare them.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1209006)   #11
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
On average testing costs about £200 per day
Last time I tested at Mallory it was about 70 quid, a few years ago I admit.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1209009)   #12
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest if you have the sort of cash lying around that you could consider a Radical, why not buy a race car and go and do a few rounds of a race series? Buy a hot hatch series car or something or other and try some real racing.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1209047)   #13
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chrome Orange,
If you are thinking about racing perhaps the best thing would be to come down and have a look/speak to people actually racing a variety of cars. The 750MC has its annual pre season test day at Goodwood on the 26th Feb - There would be all sorts of cars there from Formula Vees to Radicals to Stock and Hot Hatches, caterhams and slicks and wings single seaters. Most racers manage to go racing on a fairly modest budget.
If you fancy coming down just come over and say hello I will be in the Black Formula Renault no 45
Old 27 Jan 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1211154)   #14
Chrome Orange
Rookie

United Kingdom
Essex
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunatly I don't have Radical money lying around - would be a squeeze for sure.

The idea of racing sounds like touble. I've loved outdoors karting but open car circuits and the time and repairs involved would be a put off. Let's face it, I'm afraid I'd love it too much.

Andy97's take on these things seems closest to my idea and looks really interesting. So much to think about! I like the idea of the 750MC day at Goodwood, but any simerlar but closer to Essex?
Old 28 Jan 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1212058)   #15
gadgit
Racer

gadgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory was £80 last year for a half day in the morning. and to be fair, that enough for a day when you are starting out as we did last year.

We went the route of finding a single seater for track days, only to find that a year ago 99% of all track days would not have them any more!

You need to know that getting your race licence, Cat B will cost you, £43 for the info pack from the MSA, £120 for you medical exam (first year) then £200 for the ARDS test and then another £43 to send it all off to get the licence. its not cheap !

Oh and if you are over 45 years, a medical every year £120 and of course £43 each year to renew it, and it only runs to 31 dec.

The current crop of test days, Brands, Stett, for a half day is £135 so not that bad.

The great thing about testing, over track days, is seeing all the other great cars that
turn up. Last year at Mallory, just before Goodwood there was £££££££££££££££££ worth of cars turned up for testing, what a great day.

Testing can sometimes be more fun than racing (sometimes) its a great way to get into motorsport, and a nice relaxed day out. Oh and you can time your runs so you know how you are doing. Do that at track day, and it will be goodbye !!!!

Gadgit.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1212074)   #16
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
There's always the Sheane produced "Formula 5" which is a single seater based on standard off the shelf car components (VW I think) but has an optional clip on "sports car" body kit.
Sheane make vee's and formula sheane rover. Leastone make Vees and the bike engined "formula 5" that as you say have a can-am body available for it, http://www.leastoneracing.com.