Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Jan 2004, 13:10 (Ref:832614)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ITV get British WRC coverage from this year.

Was this expected? It came as a complete surprise to me.
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=25694&s=8

ITV could give the coverage a regular Sunday Afternoon slot, something Ch4 admit they couldn't in that article.

Let's hope we get quality as well as quantity. Personally I won't hold my breath, but I'm up for being wrong.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 13:30 (Ref:832635)   #2
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but you know they wont, its bad enough with the Corrie getting i the way of the GPs!

Having read it on crash.net, i cant believe that Channel 4 have just dropped it as theres no British interest. Is that all they think we're interested in? And the hour long programme reminds me of the bbc days! I wonder who will present it????..
Old 9 Jan 2004, 13:44 (Ref:832648)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When the beeb did it we got an hours coverage of the rally. I fear for 15 minutes adverts, 15 minutes coverage and 30 minutes lifestyle. As for who presents it, well I already have to put up with the same bloke on F1 and Rugby, surely they won't...

Anyway, it will probably be alright. Come on ITV prove my natural cynisism wrong!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 13:53 (Ref:832656)   #4
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Bob Irvine.. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please dont let Mark James take the mike!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:06 (Ref:832666)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
A regular slot is definitely needed, channel 4 just threw it around the schedules and that was hopeless.

I just hope that the coverage stays focused on the action and doesn't wander off onto various 'lifestyle' features - there are too many of these on the F1 coverage. Please, please no Jim Rosenthal on the presentation team.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:40 (Ref:832700)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bet they got it for a bargain price aswell.
May be 2 reasons. Perhaps DR was none too happy with the rubbish midnight slots they kept giving it and demanded proper slots or he would go elsewhere.
Or C4 wanted to get shot coz the viewing figures were down, no surprise when you put it on at ten to midnight!
Either way the fact that it is still televised is a bonus, but I have to say losing C4 is no great loss as it was so, so biased towards Burns and McRae the coverage got boring coz taht is ALL they EVER talked about.
And the loss of Jeremy Hart is no great loss either, total arse if you ask me. His over drametisation of everything was surely making DR squeam every time he heard it!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:44 (Ref:832701)   #7
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bet that Jim Rosenthal knows absolutely nothing about Rallying let alone the driver, co-drivers, teams etc, he's already proven he knows very little about F1 and just waffles on about (his love affair with) TGF al the time.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:45 (Ref:832704)   #8
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ITV football team have to find new jobs to do come this summer...

Ben Edwards would be a good choice...
Old 9 Jan 2004, 15:25 (Ref:832738)   #9
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So do you think they will give us decent coverage of the PWRC. I see Neil McShea has got a Subaru now so that makes 4 Brits up for that.

2 x IOM (English)
1 x Scot
1 x Ulsterman
Old 9 Jan 2004, 15:49 (Ref:832756)   #10
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Whos yor hard earned on then Alpina?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 18:46 (Ref:832911)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just seen this, I am not suprised really. I belive that the prestation team will be same guys that Channel 4 used last year.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 23:10 (Ref:833114)   #12
Alpina
Veteran

For the PWRC I predict ...... it won't be McShea.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 08:15 (Ref:833392)   #13
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Jim Rosenthal used to cover BRC rallys in the early 80s and was ok.Get of the fence Alpina,sgotta be Ali!
Old 10 Jan 2004, 09:27 (Ref:833402)   #14
Alpina
Veteran

The reigning champ is Rowe and I think he must be favourite but Higgins and A.McRae could easily do it. Just like the BRC from the mid 90's except they are all in Scoobs.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 13:19 (Ref:833509)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin hasn't got a drive sorted yet I don't think so he might not be out there at all.
Also Jani Paasonen has signed up for the Gp N series aswell and he is rather good.
But I reckon it is great to see so many Brits out there having a go, let's hope ITV realise this and at elast mention them, aswell as Wilks and Meeke in the Junior series.
It must be remembered that these guys got bugger all out of C4 during their coverage, C4 were so utterly obssesed with Burns and McRae, they forgot about the Brits actually doing well elsewhere in WRC
Old 11 Jan 2004, 16:46 (Ref:834430)   #16
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So will there be no coverage on Fridays and Saturdays then?

Are Eurosport still going to show any of it?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 18:52 (Ref:834523)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Think there is gonna just be a show on prime time on Sundays, not too sure.
Think Eurosport will still show the footage as their coverage was not affected at all by C4.
Desborough I think is still gonna be the anchor for the programs
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:14 (Ref:834544)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh god.....
Old 18 Jan 2004, 19:43 (Ref:842596)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just been digging about and I found that the ITV coverage will be fronted by Angus Scott, Jon Desborough and Robbie Head.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 08:45 (Ref:843052)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I have just been digging about and I found that the ITV coverage will be fronted by Angus Scott, Jon Desborough and Robbie Head.
Jon Desborough was appallingly bad last year, Robbie Head is a noce enough bloke and knows his stuff but just isn't cut out for TV presenting. At least it's not Jim Rosenthal.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 17:26 (Ref:847151)   #21
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV in their infinite wisdom are to prview Monte Carlo tonite at the ever poular time of 12.35am. I fear this is a foretaste of things to come with motorsport being marginalised as per usual. While Im at it wots the point of an hour long show on Sunday afternoon when the events of Friday will be a distant memory. Ch 4 were by no means perfect but it was better than this load of old guff.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 09:11 (Ref:847930)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
12:35am? At least I'll have got back from the pub by then

Of course seeing the TV may be a problem but I'll deal with that later.

Last edited by BertMk2; 23 Jan 2004 at 09:12.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 14:40 (Ref:848286)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The preview is repeated on a Saturday lunchtime, I believe as well.

At least the program has 100% action rather than studio discussions.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 15:57 (Ref:848356)   #24
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Home by 12.35 Bert?LIGHTWEIGHT!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 16:04 (Ref:848372)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Irvine..
Home by 12.35 Bert?LIGHTWEIGHT!
Sad but true! By then I'll have had enough to seriously impact my vision. Lightweight I may be but it's a cheap night out!