Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Apr 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3233122)   #1
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The WETTEST sportscar race you've attended

Hello chaps.

I will be going to the Silverstone WEC race this Sunday and the weather forecast is a bit dubious to say the least. Now I've been to a few wet sportcar races in my time; the 1982 Brands Hatch finale in October and the 2005 LMS race at Silverstone in mid August 2005 spring to mind. Both actually had very close finishes!

So what was your wettest sportscar race experience?
Old 12 Apr 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3233127)   #2
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wettest sportscar race was at Brands in 1970 something?

Im sure it rained for 6 hours

I was a flag marshal, and every time Jochan Mass lapped a car,it was me who blue flagged him.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3233164)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The wettest RACE was Petit Le Mans in 2009, where it was stopped and called hours early, due to there being inches of standing water on much of the track.

The wettest RACE weekend would have been Mosport 2006 ALMS, with the remnants of Hurricane Ernst. Everything was soaked pretty much the whole weekend, up until race time. Qualifying was called off, had to sleep in the van.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3233194)   #4
Ron S
Rookie

United States
Atlanta Georgia
Ron S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PLM 2009 for a race. Sebring in the late 90's it rained so hard on the Friday before the race I thought I would end up in OZ. The wind was blowing like so very hard! I remember it was sending nitrogen bottles through the air that were being used to hold race car tents down.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3233195)   #5
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Petit 2009 for sportscars. It was crazy, feel bad for anyone who was camping. We drove back to the hotel after a couple of hours of red. It was a great week at the track though up to that point so I wasn't too upset.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3233197)   #6
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
WOW, you think that's a dubious weather forecast? This weekend looks positively tropical by comparison to Oulton a couple of weeks ago or the Blancpain round last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The wettest RACE was Petit Le Mans in 2009, where it was stopped and called hours early, due to there being inches of standing water on much of the track.
Me too, the slope down before the start/finish looked like a water slide in a theme park when they red flagged it. I'd spent over 40 hours travelling to get there for that race too! Ended up going to Athens for the college gridiron game instead.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3233199)   #7
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans 2001 was pretty spectacular, as well as parts of LM '07. In both races, the cars were struggling to keep up with the safety car!

Both were occasions when powerboats could have been classified at the finish.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 00:41 (Ref:3233218)   #8
Slipknot
Rookie

United States
Texas
Slipknot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely Petite 09
Old 13 Apr 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3233225)   #9
PatrickB
Rookie

Canada
Nanaimo BC
PatrickB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daytona 24 2004. When i woke up in the middle of the night in my rental car the parking lot had turned into a lake... wasn't suprised when i came home and found out they red flagged the race for like 6 hours!
Old 13 Apr 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3233226)   #10
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca FIA GT/ PSCR 1998 Saturday. It was ankle deep in most of the paddock. Jan Lammers was absolutely sensational in a GT2 Porsche.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 03:10 (Ref:3233245)   #11
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The wettest RACE weekend would have been Mosport 2006 ALMS, with the remnants of Hurricane Ernst. Everything was soaked pretty much the whole weekend, up until race time. Qualifying was called off, had to sleep in the van.
Mosport throws up some wet weekends, but that was a doozy. I think 2007 had a particularly violent torrent where a large lake formed at the entrance to 5 one afternoon, but sun and adequate drainage prevailed. Of the 8 years I went the ALMS race itself did a remarkable job avoiding the weather. I think I only remember it being wet for the start in 01 or 02, when the polesitting Audi lost it in 5 on lap 1.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 04:37 (Ref:3233260)   #12
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get a bit moist everytime I attend a race.

Old 13 Apr 2013, 05:22 (Ref:3233279)   #13
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
oh yes, Spa 24 last year was ridiculously torrential at times last year, cars just sliding everywhere. But that's Spa, so it doesn't really count I guess.........
Old 13 Apr 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3233305)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
FIA GT at Silverstone in 1997- wasn't the race stopped early because of the rain- I seem to remember the track was flooding at Woodcote....?

I seem to have led a pretty charmed life with the weather as the only other time I can ever really remember getting rained on much at a sportscar race was the BPR Global GT round at Silverstone in 95
Old 13 Apr 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3233310)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oulton Park 2006 (?), when Nickerbrook became an expensive car park.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3233312)   #16
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans 2012 (the only sportscar race i've attended - yet)
Old 13 Apr 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3233319)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Over the years I have been going to Le mans there have been many wet ones some before the race started with major flooding and some were the race itself was held mostly in the wet, the mclaren year 1995 was probably the worst actual race, tried to watch some racing but it was horrid, spray from the first car ment that you could see nothing for 30 seconds and even wet weather gear and brollies still could not keep the water out. Obviously the weather caused a few upsets in the race.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3233323)   #18
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 24h of 2003 were pretty wet.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3233367)   #19
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm wondering if Aysedasi will post anything here . Well, this said, I remember Spa 1000 km in 1990 and Le Mans 1992 and 1995 which were horrible.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3233384)   #20
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone LMS 2005, I remember people were even spinning off at 40mph in safety car conditions. If I remember rightly a team manager's meeting was called and it was decided that if the rain didn't let up by the half way mark then they'd call it a day. Just before half distance the rain stopped and we had a lovely clear sunset.

I also remember BGT at Oulton Park last year being particularly wet, mainly drizzle in race one but for race two you'd have been better off racing a boat.

I was also present for Boss GP at Donington a couple of years ago - it was supporting Britcar so it was essentially a sportscar race meeting, and half the grid had Judd GV4s installed! But the Saturday practice session was called off with ridiculously heavy rain, which would have matched the '05 LMS race mentioned above for a flooded track.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3233415)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbob is correct. LMS 2005 was very wet, but the Friday practice for LMS in 2008 was pretty erm, moist as well. I remember Oulton for the British GT with the whole Knickerbrook incidents and the luckiest marshall in history. I think it was 2001 or 2002 as the Saleen's were still racing along with the GT1 Vipers.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3233425)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
Newbob is correct. LMS 2005 was very wet, but the Friday practice for LMS in 2008 was pretty erm, moist as well. I remember Oulton for the British GT with the whole Knickerbrook incidents and the luckiest marshall in history. I think it was 2001 or 2002 as the Saleen's were still racing along with the GT1 Vipers.
I do remember that race, the rain was coming down so hard it had no where to go and the cars were sliding off the track, we had to find shelter but in doing that we could not see what was happening, so huddled under the umbella's and watch what we could.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3233464)   #23
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet marshal View Post
My wettest sportscar race was at Brands in 1970 something?
1970 BOAC 1000km at Brands. Easily the wettest I've ever been to. And who could ever forget...

'Rodriguez in the rain' ?
Old 13 Apr 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3233470)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The one I am watching on my PC looks very wet, feel sorry for those at silverstone, hopefully it will be dry tomorrow when I get there
Old 13 Apr 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3233507)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone LMS in 2005 for me too. I took both my boys for the first time. We ended up sitting in the car in the car park for an hour it was so cold and wet.