Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 7 Jun 2019, 21:06 (Ref:3908542)   #201
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Surely the ultimate SUV?
No it would have to be TB2, as that was the one with the "mid mounted" Utility space for all sorts of things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tb2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	53244

It even had a high driving position and a rear spoiler to make it look sporty.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 7 Jun 2019 at 21:16.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3909401)   #202
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Supposedly the actual production version of that was the Aztek. Sounds like a LOT of committee bs went in to that change to become one of the vehicles often recognized as one of the 10 worst ever.
now that you say this you can almost see a linage between the Stinger and Aztec in shape/lines.

certainly its fun to make fun of the Aztec but if it came out today would it be considered as bad?

was in a Range Rover Sport the other day and it had a drinks cooler built into the center console. it was a hot day so thought it was a great feature.

next car has to have a cooler!
Old 11 Jun 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3909414)   #203
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
was in a Range Rover Sport the other day and it had a drinks cooler built into the center console. it was a hot day so thought it was a great feature.

next car has to have a cooler!

It's taken a long time for the car industry to catch up with some of the standard items that Toyota included in their Crown range back in the late 70s and 80s.

The Crown had a drinks chiller built into the rear parcel shelf.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3909423)   #204
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That wasn't a standard item. Toyota stopped offering it too.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3909427)   #205
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Chrysler used to offer it in the Dart/200/Caliber thing as well. But think the AC had to be on and it poached some of that cool air, which makes sense since the airbox is right there.

Fun fact: also under that glove box is the HOT air and heater core. Went to more than a few car fires as a junior firefighter that was napkins crammed in the glove box falling over the inner wall. Mostly older, American cars that apparently have space and overstuffed glove boxes with takeout napkins
Old 12 Jun 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3909496)   #206
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That wasn't a standard item. Toyota stopped offering it too.

As an past owner of three Toyota Crowns, I can assure you that the drinks cooler was a part of the standard equipment on European and other export models. It, in fact, was an integral piece of the rear passenger area air conditioning unit which was situated behind the back panel in the boot.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3912868)   #207
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Skoda Kodiaq - with obvious testing to appeal to the Caravan owner market.

Old 19 Jun 2019, 13:32 (Ref:3912880)   #208
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Peugeot 2008

4.30 m long (just 15 cm shorter than the 3008)
100-155 hp gasoline and Diesel engines
100 kW electric engine, 50 kWh battery

Old 19 Jun 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3912894)   #209
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Peugeot 2008
This car really highlights the issue that seems to be held here about what is / is not an SUV?

The Kia XCeed gets an entry in the 'small and family cars' thread, yet is described as 'Kia promises a sporty driving experience and says that the XCeed will also be as practical as its rivals, which will include the Peugeot 3008, SEAT Ateca and Volkswagen T-Roc.'

Yet the smaller than a 3008 SUV gets and entry in the SUV thread and is described as 'It has many excellent rivals, of course, including the Vauxhall Mokka X, Renault Captur, Nissan Juke, Mazda CX-3, Citroen C4 Cactus and Ford EcoSport.'

Which leads to confusion:
3008 rival - small car
2008 - SUV
Old 19 Jun 2019, 15:00 (Ref:3912898)   #210
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
BMW iNEXT

Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3912944)   #211
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Is that a new Kodiaq? Didn’t thing the current model had been on the market very long.

Hope the iNext comes with a normal paint finish as an alternative.....
Old 19 Jun 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3912952)   #212
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Is that a new Kodiaq? Didn’t thing the current model had been on the market very long.
It's expected to be unveiled at Geneva in March 2020.
Full facelift, along with the introduction of a PHEV model alongside all-new drivetrains.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3913052)   #213
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Borgward BX7 coming in RHD

Old 21 Jun 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3913312)   #214
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This car really highlights the issue that seems to be held here about what is / is not an SUV?

The Kia XCeed gets an entry in the 'small and family cars' thread, yet is described as 'Kia promises a sporty driving experience and says that the XCeed will also be as practical as its rivals, which will include the Peugeot 3008, SEAT Ateca and Volkswagen T-Roc.'

Yet the smaller than a 3008 SUV gets and entry in the SUV thread and is described as 'It has many excellent rivals, of course, including the Vauxhall Mokka X, Renault Captur, Nissan Juke, Mazda CX-3, Citroen C4 Cactus and Ford EcoSport.'

Which leads to confusion:
3008 rival - small car
2008 - SUV

In my opinion the XCeed isn't a rival to the 3008 or Ateca.It's a Golf rival but with black bumpers.
Old 22 Jun 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3913468)   #215
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
In my opinion the XCeed isn't a rival to the 3008 or Ateca.It's a Golf rival but with black bumpers.
Isn't the Ceed the rival to the Golf?

An alternative angle puts the Xceed more in the crossover SUV category.

Old 24 Jun 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3913988)   #216
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
It's much lower than a Rav4 or Kuga.
Old 24 Jun 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3913996)   #217
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It’s all becoming a blurrrrrrr........
Old 24 Jun 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3914029)   #218
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's much lower than a Rav4 or Kuga.
It's taller than a T-Roc or a 3008.

What is the minimum height of a SUV?
Old 25 Jun 2019, 05:20 (Ref:3914052)   #219
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
In my book, an ‘SUV’ should be circa 5m long, approaching 2m tall, have a square back end, 4WD, good approach and departure angles, plus high ground clearance. And be able to tow 3.5 tonnes.

Anything else is a Chelsea tractor.......
Old 25 Jun 2019, 06:02 (Ref:3914056)   #220
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
In my book, an ‘SUV’ should be circa 5m long, approaching 2m tall, have a square back end, 4WD, good approach and departure angles, plus high ground clearance. And be able to tow 3.5 tonnes.

Anything else is a Chelsea tractor.......
I get you - and broadly am in agreement with the definition of SUV that you give. I fear though, that we are both thinking that an SUV is an off-road vehicle primarily that can also be driven on road.

As an absolute minimum though, I think that to qualify as an SUV then a 4WD option must be available in the line up.

IMO, overall height has no relevance to qualifying as an SUV, but it is also worth noting that Kia do not refer to the XCeed as an SUV, but call it a CUV.

I don't think we need a CUV thread - but maybe we have to accept Crossovers in the same thread as SUVs, and take the manufacturers model range as our guide?

Ceed - Hatchback
XCeed - CUV

2008 - SUV
208 - Hatchback

Golf - Hatchback
T-Roc -SUV
Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3914077)   #221
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I get you - and broadly am in agreement with the definition of SUV that you give. I fear though, that we are both thinking that an SUV is an off-road vehicle primarily that can also be driven on road.

As an absolute minimum though, I think that to qualify as an SUV then a 4WD option must be available in the line up.

Assuming the word Sport in SUV still refers to the vehicle being suitable to deliver you and equipment to destinations for activity sports like mountain biking, kayaking, mountaineering etc, then some off road ability a must, IMO!

My max height suggestion was so that it will still fit in UK 2 metre clearance car parks, or go through the fast lane at French peages!

Anyway, it’s all getting a bit complicated for me......
Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3914088)   #222
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Assuming the word Sport in SUV still refers to the vehicle being suitable to deliver you and equipment to destinations for activity sports like mountain biking, kayaking, mountaineering etc, then some off road ability a must, IMO!

My max height suggestion was so that it will still fit in UK 2 metre clearance car parks, or go through the fast lane at French peages!

Anyway, it’s all getting a bit complicated for me......
I have just read a couple of articles about SUVs, and there are some good points made regarding why some (here) seem to be undesirable of the current SUVs, and also why a lot of SUVs should actually be referred to as CUVs.

What is an SUV?

'You could sling your surfboard in the back and reach deserted beaches; take your skis to isolated slopes; or transport your sheepdog across steep fields to recover a lost herd.'

'the term SUV can still be applied to big and rugged cars capable of scaling different terrains, [...] But the name can also apply to smaller and far less capable vehicles [...] However, these are really crossovers. Think of them as more like a tall hatchback than a capable SUV.'

'[CUVs] use the mechanical parts from family cars, which are designed mainly for tarmac roads.'

THE RISE OF THE SPORTS UTILITY VEHICLE

'why do [modern SUV] detractors dislike them so much?'
'these cars end up being a Jack of all trades and a master of none'
'It boils down to this: they’re not brilliant cars because they’re not designed for long distance like an Audi A4. They’re not brilliant off-roaders because they lack the robustness of design, the technology or the power of a Range Rover. And they’re too big, bulky and awkward for town driving. So what exactly is the point?'
'Car enthusiasts buy cars not just for the looks but how they feel when taken to the ragged edge of the car’s limitations. But we’re not all car enthusiasts. What most of us – especially those with kids and grand kids – want is something practical. Something safe. Something economical and credit crunchingly reasonable to buy. Four-by-fours it seems are the new family car. They are the 21st Century’s answer to the Ford Sierra.'
'SUVs scream rugged durability and dependability in the face of [...]leaves on the driveway.'
Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3914090)   #223
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
And for those who want the 'sport' in SUV (at least in name), rumours are that this is the upcoming Lotus SUV:

Old 25 Jun 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3914101)   #224
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Looking good, although I appreciate that for some the words ‘Lotus’ and ‘SUV’ don’t fit!

The upcoming Aston also looks pretty good in the disguise shots...
Old 25 Jun 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3914120)   #225
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And for those who want the 'sport' in SUV (at least in name), rumours are that this is the upcoming Lotus SUV:

Oh dear God the world really is ending, it was bad enough with front wheel drive BMWs and diesel Porsches (well both of their SUVs in general) but now a Lotus SUV? I do not include of acknowledge the ugliest cars mankind has ever made in the Bentley and Rolls Royce SUVs, I almost ran off the road trying to avert my eyes at the Rolls last month.