Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jan 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4028792)   #126
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Eugene O'Brien at Thruxton and also late season at Silverstone. The Thruxton crash is way more brutal that it looks, car comes to a complete stop very quickly and O'Brien was manhandled out of the car clearly in distress. Didn't make the next meeting. He also missed the Donnington finale after his crash on the hanger straight at Silverstone.
I have a vague recollection of Pat Blakeley saying during a briefing/introduction session at my ARDS test up at Thruxton that Eugene actually broke his nose in that crash as the impact was enough for him to hit his head on the steering wheel. Or rather, it was enough for the peak on his open face helmet to hit the steering wheel, fold down and break his nose.

But yeah, it's always the ones where the car comes to a sudden stop that are the worst as you get the full brunt of the impact in that one moment.
Old 13 Jan 2021, 19:37 (Ref:4028793)   #127
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
True. They always say it’s not the fall that kills you, it’s the sudden stop. Similarly it’s not the speed that kills you, it’s the sudden impact. Look at say Kubica’s crash in Canada. It was a big one, but because his car bounced off the barrier and rolled over, his car was able to come to a gentle halt eventually and that is why he survived with minor injuries
Old 14 Jan 2021, 19:58 (Ref:4029107)   #128
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah forgot O'Brien used to wear an open face helmet.

Those things always make me shudder when I imagine what poor Ken Schrader must have seen went he pulled Dale Sr's window net down
Old 14 Jan 2021, 21:02 (Ref:4029115)   #129
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
Yeah forgot O'Brien used to wear an open face helmet.

Those things always make me shudder when I imagine what poor Ken Schrader must have seen went he pulled Dale Sr's window net down
Gotta remember back in the day they didn't have Hans devices. Thats why the likes of Mansell got knocked out a couple of times.

I've had an off where my Hans device save me from major whiplash and possibly the need for a new helmet.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 22:54 (Ref:4029125)   #130
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember hearing that Dale Sr ironically was against the HANS device, which no doubt would have saved him and made everyone realise that if it could happen to him, it could happen to anyone
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4029610)   #131
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Gotta remember back in the day they didn't have Hans devices. Thats why the likes of Mansell got knocked out a couple of times.

I've had an off where my Hans device save me from major whiplash and possibly the need for a new helmet.
Yeah that's what I meant in a round about way. The HANS device would have stopped him having the BSF injury that killed him but without the HANS and with an open face helmet it must have been a grim scene that met poor Schrader
Old 17 Jan 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4029611)   #132
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I seem to remember hearing that Dale Sr ironically was against the HANS device, which no doubt would have saved him and made everyone realise that if it could happen to him, it could happen to anyone

I'm sure I recall him calling it a noose or something, he thought it would cause more problems than it solved. There was a couple more NASCAR drivers who died from the injury as Dale Sr but obviously when it happened to Sr everyone took notice.

I'm sure in IndyCar HANS was embraced quite early but in NASCAR it was the opposite, it was met with suspicion.

It really must be one the greatest safety improvements in the last 30 or so years.
Old 18 Jan 2021, 11:10 (Ref:4029826)   #133
S griffin
Veteran

Oh yes the HANS device has been a great safety innovation this century. Some F1 drivers were against it at first, now I’m sure all of them can’t imagine life without it
Old 19 Jan 2021, 17:33 (Ref:4030069)   #134
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, a BTCC crash thread..... How about this one from BTCC's predecessor, the British Saloon Car Championship. I was standing at the Esses at Mallory Park only to see Richard Lloyd's Audi summersaulting into the entry to Gerrards Bend. No idea what caused it, assume a collision with another competitor. He was quite lucky to get away with it. Most recent BTCC crash I've seen live was Rob Austin at Brands Hatch a good couple of years ago now. He hit the barrier where it comes back in towards the track between Paddock and Druids - I swear I felt the thump through the ground as well as hearing it. Again, lucky not to be hurt.

I suppose we all marvel at an accident where the driver simply steps out and walks away but anyone who goes motor racing just to see that sort of thing must surely end up disappointed and it's really not what it's all about.

Scott
Old 19 Jan 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4030071)   #135
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailpace85 View Post
Oh dear, a BTCC crash thread..... How about this one from BTCC's predecessor, the British Saloon Car Championship. I was standing at the Esses at Mallory Park only to see Richard Lloyd's Audi summersaulting into the entry to Gerrards Bend. No idea what caused it, assume a collision with another competitor. He was quite lucky to get away with it. Most recent BTCC crash I've seen live was Rob Austin at Brands Hatch a good couple of years ago now. He hit the barrier where it comes back in towards the track between Paddock and Druids - I swear I felt the thump through the ground as well as hearing it. Again, lucky not to be hurt.

I suppose we all marvel at an accident where the driver simply steps out and walks away but anyone who goes motor racing just to see that sort of thing must surely end up disappointed and it's really not what it's all about.

Scott
Totally agree on your last point but I don't think we should be fearful or ashamed to discuss crashes. It's part of motorsport.

I'm sure there are very very few people that actually actively pay money and turn up to events just to see crashes, especially at Professional level. Might be few who watch on TV but can't see the point of paying a decent amount of money to get a good seat on the off chance there might a huge incident.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 18:10 (Ref:4030078)   #136
S griffin
Veteran

Exactly. I remember at Donington seeing three Ginettas come together coming out of Redgate right in front of us. We all agreed it was a spectacular moment and at the same agreed it wasn’t what we had come to see
Old 19 Jan 2021, 18:25 (Ref:4030083)   #137
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I suppose it's part of what we used to refer to 'the thrills & spills of motor-racing' but it's always a great feeling when you see the driver get out and walk (or often run!) away from the car.
Old 19 Jan 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4030111)   #138
S griffin
Veteran

Yes I still hold my breath when I’m watching a race live on the telly and see a big one. I know, despite what people say, motorsport is still dangerous and always will be