Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jan 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3605879)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old Timer GP

Germany's Classic Festival. Includes Masters grids, HGPCA and Jaguar Classic Challenge.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 15:25 (Ref:3625576)   #2
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oldtimer GP 12-14 Aug 2016

We will be taking part for the first time.
I see there is a test day on Thurs 11th August.
What are the usual paddock arrangements?
Will they let us in on the Wednesday?
What the paddock facilities Hook-ups etc?
Will they throw us out on the Sunday or let us stay until Monday?
All tips, help and advice appreciated
Old 21 Mar 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3625662)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
We will be taking part for the first time.
I see there is a test day on Thurs 11th August.
What are the usual paddock arrangements?
Will they let us in on the Wednesday?
What the paddock facilities Hook-ups etc?
Will they throw us out on the Sunday or let us stay until Monday?
All tips, help and advice appreciated
Robert, I've moved your post to the (already created) thread on the calendar, so we don't finish up with two for the meeting!

I can answer some of your questions from previous visits-

Paddock access previously has been no problem on Wednesday. In fact getting in early is sensible! You go to the 'Welcome centre' on the road leading to the circuit to get passes, then go to the entrance gate.

The main paddock is usually completely taken over by paying 'guests' such as manufacturers with their displays, and big marquees for the grids not in garages.

Service vehicles like trucks and vans are shoved in an area off the main paddock called 'the Helicopter park' or something like that... There is hook up and water round round the perimeter, but some doubling up with neighbours likely. Loos and showers are fairly close. Motor homes are supposed to be in another 'annex' to the main paddock, but some will finish up jammed in with the trucks! Again, believe there is hook up in the other parking area.

If you go into the 'Helicopter' park early, it means you will be late out, as it will finish up crammed. We've lived with it, but always left on the Sunday. No idea if you can stop over until Monday.

Hope that helps, but there are others on here that may be able to add.....
Old 22 Mar 2016, 07:25 (Ref:3625816)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Robert,just to add to Mikes post.Paddock is very well wired in so hooking up is no problem.
Be prepared for a very busy weekend though as it is one of the best weekends on the historic calender.
I assume you have driven here before?(IE,you know where not to brake)
Old 22 Mar 2016, 17:26 (Ref:3626014)   #5
Robert Farrell
Racer

Any thoughts on best route for trucks from Calais.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3626018)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
Any thoughts on best route for trucks from Calais.
For me it's Brussels, head to Aachen / Cologne, then before the latter turn south and approach Nurburgring from the North. I tried going via Liege / Spa and it was slow.

Having said that, Terence is the man with local knowledge, as long as he remembers you have a truck and not a GT3RS.....
Old 22 Mar 2016, 19:28 (Ref:3626053)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We always used to bring the truck of at Prum Mike.Gerostein Dockweiler Kelberg.The road is a lot better now than then.(Far better suited for the Porsche
Old 22 Mar 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3626067)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
We always used to bring the truck of at Prum Mike.Gerostein Dockweiler Kelberg.The road is a lot better now than then.(Far better suited for the Porsche
So what you're saying is E42 past Spa, which becomes the 60 after the border, then east via Gerolstein, Dockweiler and Kelberg.

As I've not used that route I'm not going to say if good for trucks or not! All I know is that the hills in Spa area are not HGV friendly.....

Old 23 Mar 2016, 19:32 (Ref:3626437)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
In comparison Mike its reasonably flat.Obviously there is still the long drag going up towards Spa (1st gear in a 7.5ton TK) but after that theres not much to talk about.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3626600)   #10
Robert Farrell
Racer

Should be no problem for our Albion Chieftain then!
Old 20 Apr 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3635246)   #11
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I being really dim or is there no Marathon race on the Nordschleife this year? It's normally held on the Friday, isn't it? I can't seem to find it on the Oldtimer website/timetable/entry form.

It'd be a shame if its not running as it was a race I was looking to do with the MGB when it's finally done this summer.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 06:15 (Ref:3635322)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
Am I being really dim or is there no Marathon race on the Nordschleife this year? It's normally held on the Friday, isn't it? I can't seem to find it on the Oldtimer website/timetable/entry form.

It'd be a shame if its not running as it was a race I was looking to do with the MGB when it's finally done this summer.
Mmm, not seen that. I'll do some searching later, and see if can find out. It was not well subscribed last year, so maybe.....
Old 22 Apr 2016, 00:54 (Ref:3635568)   #13
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Quite right I am afraid

They sent a letter out a couple of weeks ago saying it is cancelled due to poor entries for the last couple of years. A number of us emailed them in support in the hope it is not off for good
Old 22 Apr 2016, 07:34 (Ref:3635608)   #14
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
What a shame. Without wishing to hijack this thread, are there any other historic races on the Nordschleife? There's the Historic Trophy meeting in June, isn't there? The website is all in German (including all the forms) so its a bit difficult for me to make out.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3635655)   #15
Wriggley Monkey
Rookie

Wriggley Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look here at the Dunlop Langstreken cup http://hre-race.de/

I have raced with them in the past and they offer good racing.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3635755)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And you wont have a Marcos to contend with.
Old 27 Apr 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3636725)   #17
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wriggley Monkey View Post
Have a look here at the Dunlop Langstreken cup http://hre-race.de/

I have raced with them in the past and they offer good racing.
Thanks for that, Wriggley. Don't think the car will be ready in time for the Historic Trophy meeting, but it would definitely be possible for the Westfalen (if it's not snowing at the 'Ring by October!)

I agree that it would be a shame if the Marathon is cancelled for good, especially as it's the only race on the Nordschleife exclusively for pre-66, isn't it?

Do you have to have any specific licence to race on the North Loop (as you do for modern stuff like VLN) or is a Nat A/Int C okay for historics?
Old 28 Apr 2016, 06:50 (Ref:3636827)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not that's of any relevance now that the event isn't happening (this year), but previously there has been a sub-race within The Marathon for cars up to end of 1976. It used to be shorter time, but think last year was same 4hrs as the Pre 66 cars raced? I was hoping to attempt it at some point in my Gp1 RS2000, but obviously not this year, now......
Old 28 Apr 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3636944)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Thanks for that, Wriggley. Don't think the car will be ready in time for the Historic Trophy meeting, but it would definitely be possible for the Westfalen (if it's not snowing at the 'Ring by October!)

I agree that it would be a shame if the Marathon is cancelled for good, especially as it's the only race on the Nordschleife exclusively for pre-66, isn't it?

Do you have to have any specific licence to race on the North Loop (as you do for modern stuff like VLN) or is a Nat A/Int C okay for historics?

Internation C is perfect,nothing higher is required.There is an albeit slim chance we will see the 300k reinstated.Time enough to see if the Capri Ducktail is "worth ten bhp" down Dottingham Hohe.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 09:49 (Ref:3646521)   #20
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nordchleife Permit

Bit late on the uptake here, but I understand you now need a Permit B to race on the Nordschleife.

Need a declaration of three finishes in three years and Bob's your uncle.

http://fhr-race.de/files/r2/ERKL%C3%...0Stufe%20C.pdf
Old 10 Aug 2016, 18:20 (Ref:3664951)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Trucks are on the way, it appears. Apart from Delta I don't know of any tenthers going. Feel free to prove me wrong....
Old 15 Aug 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3665714)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just got back, Had a brilliant time myself as lots of cars to drive. Missed meeting up with our Terry as was just too busy running five cars.We lost the Britannia FJ as the engine was smoking too much and decided not to risk the second race.
The paddock was empty of racing cars but full now of hospitality and corporate tents. Have to say everyone was very nice this year. High light was watching Simon Hadfield sprinting across the track and screeching away in the Aston Martin. My co driver in Lola Mk 1 who must of been the biggest driver there got left at the start but did pass a couple of cars on the grass.
We had the usual Friday morning fog and racing was delayed but give the organizers credit they soon got back on track with time table.
Saturday and Sunday nice days and some good racing. I had always wanted to do the Saturday night race and was chuffed to get to drive the lovely MK1 Lola.
Spent an extra night in Folkstone last night as lost water hose on truck.Easy fix and now back at work.
Old 16 Aug 2016, 08:59 (Ref:3665908)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Glad all sorted Iain,was a pity our work loads crossed each other though,always next time though.Will soon have to get over to collect our remaing bits n pieces from the storage so looking for a medium sized truck to hire.