Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 May 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4052425)   #276
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Well at least the bikes are the right way up.....
Watta moving sight!
Old 20 May 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4052440)   #277
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't ride my road bike these days because it gives me postural problems, but I'm delighted I've re-started studio cycling this week. Haven't been for five months, so I broke myself in gently with the bearable Monday night class but Mad Mike's session today was a killer! Awesome fun.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 22 May 2021, 08:20 (Ref:4052666)   #278
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I can't ride my road bike these days because it gives me postural problems
Story of my life, really! Did you try with a saddle and handlebars, it helps sometimes I've been told… OK, I'm far away!
Old 23 May 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4052814)   #279
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan, I have just checked, and of the 14 stages of the Giro run so far, seven have been won from a break, five from bunch sprints, one from the Time Trial, and only one by a overall contender.

Stage
1 Ganna TT
2 Merlier sprint
3 Van der Hoorn break
4 Dombrowski "
5 Ewan sprint
6 Mader break
7 Ewan print
8 Lafay break
9 Bernal contender
10 Sagan sprint
11 Scmid break
12 Vendrame "
13 Nizzolo sprint
14 Fortunato break

I am sure that like me you were willing the winners to hold on. There have been some outstanding rides from domestics, also rans, unknowns, one of he best stage races for a long time. Yesterday's Fortunato, never having won a race before, takes victory on the toughest climb in Professional cycling!!
I can imagine him telling people;

"Si I win on the Zoncolan, Bernal was only fourth".

One thing about being long retired I can watch the whole stage without guilt.

Yates up to second, Carthy hanging on in there,I am also impressed with Daniel Martinez in 9th. and top support rider, not bad for someone there to work for Bernal.

Cheers,

Bob

[
Attached Thumbnails
265-_FF60524-1.jpg   277-220521 POOL 3242Cyclin.jpg   280-220521 POOL 3327Cyclin.jpg  

320-5.jpg  
Old 23 May 2021, 16:30 (Ref:4052921)   #280
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Make that eight!
Old 24 May 2021, 07:01 (Ref:4053040)   #281
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes - very unusual to see breakaways hang on so many times. Another big stage today...
Old 24 May 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4053066)   #282
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Looks like today's stage has been shortened due to the continuing bad weather.
Old 24 May 2021, 09:51 (Ref:4053080)   #283
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Looks like today's stage has been shortened due to the continuing bad weather.
Bad weather?

A bit of an understatement methinks!
Old 26 May 2021, 07:16 (Ref:4053399)   #284
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finished the build and restoration of this one, all the way to the crap paintjob. Interesting is the damping element in the beam which works with preload, quite a comfy ride.

1996 Zipp 3001.

Old 26 May 2021, 08:47 (Ref:4053411)   #285
bauble
Veteran

England
What on earth is that thing D? It does not resemble any bike I rode/raced in my youth. *

* In any remarks about Penny Farthings will be ignored
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg  
Old 26 May 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4053413)   #286
bauble
Veteran

England
Pics from the Queen Stage, hard men or what?
Attached Thumbnails
180-_FF61860.jpg   240-_FF62483.jpg   293-_FF62833.jpg  

260-_FF62661.jpg   286-CORVOS_00033164-035.jpg   295-_FF62823.jpg  

Old 26 May 2021, 09:24 (Ref:4053417)   #287
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
What on earth is that thing D? It does not resemble any bike I rode/raced in my youth. *

* In any remarks about Penny Farthings will be ignored
Bauble, in the late eighties and early nineties, the UCI relaxed its regulations on frame design and the likes of the Lotus 108 and later 110 were born as well as the Zipp 2001 or 3001 evolution but many more with Indurain and his Pinarello and so on.

It produced some of the fastest bikes and aerodynamic concepts seen in the sport but ultimately was banned by the UCI in the early 2000s as the design were getting a bit too crazy in both frames and position. With the example of the Lotus and Boardman "superman" position as an example.

This is the concept of the beam bike essentially. Main frame is the lower part and upper part is a beam supporting the rider with a damping element built-in the frame. 29mm of frontal area and one of the fastest bike one can ride.
Old 27 May 2021, 08:07 (Ref:4053525)   #288
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quite a stage yesterday in the Giro - eh Baub?

I guess Bernal will have a chance to recover on today's pretty flat parcours but things have certainly livened up.
Old 27 May 2021, 08:47 (Ref:4053530)   #289
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Quite a stage yesterday in the Giro - eh Baub?

I guess Bernal will have a chance to recover on today's pretty flat parcours but things have certainly livened up.
It certainly was another tough stage, but at least the weather was kinder, on analysis, Bernal's weakness does not appear to be vey significant overall.
His nearest rival, Caruso was unable to take any significant advantage merely a couple of seconds, while Yates faded towards the top of the last climb, being well dropped by Almieda and gained just 53 seconds on Bernal. As you know I have been impressed with Martinez, and I do wonder if he had not waited for Egan, whether he could have finished at least second on the day.. Today as you say should be an easy one for Bernal, and I doubt if many other teams have the ability to really challenge INEOS today. But you can never predict an 'easy stage' in a Grand Tour.

Dan Martin took a famous win and it was a shame that the Bernal matter somewhat overshadowed a magnificent performance. I have to say that Dan has the most ugly riding style, nothing graceful about him, all arms and knees, but no getting away from it - effective.
Attached Thumbnails
295-_FF63699.jpg   222-_FF57274.jpg   260-17a GIRO 2021 L-0722.jpg  

272-17a GIRO 2021 L-0784.jpg   280-220521 POOL 3327Cyclin.jpg   E2UtZYSXMAs-B4t.jpg  

Old 27 May 2021, 11:05 (Ref:4053540)   #290
bauble
Veteran

England
Alan, another thought. Yates is a far bigger challenge to Caruso's second place, so Baharain would probably assist INEOS if Bike Exchange force the pace.
Old 27 May 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4053541)   #291
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Alan, another thought. Yates is a far bigger challenge to Caruso's second place, so Baharain would probably assist INEOS if Bike Exchange force the pace.
That's a great shot of Martinez motivating Bernal.
Old 29 May 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4053765)   #292
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It certainly is

Been enjoying this year’s Giro. Been some remarkable performances. Bernal seems to have recovered from his little blip.
Old 29 May 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4053766)   #293
Alan Morgan
Veteran

As Baub said earlier, you have to admire Martinez. Domestiques do a fantastic job. Geraint Thomas probably wouldn't have won the TdF without Bernal's help, Ganna has also worked really hard for Bernal (but was probably saving himself for tomorrrow in today's stage) and I have huge admiration for Sepp Kuss who does great work for Primož Roglic.
Old 29 May 2021, 17:32 (Ref:4053768)   #294
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
As Baub said earlier, you have to admire Martinez. Domestiques do a fantastic job. Geraint Thomas probably wouldn't have won the TdF without Bernal's help, Ganna has also worked really hard for Bernal (but was probably saving himself for tomorrrow in today's stage) and I have huge admiration for Sepp Kuss who does great work for Primož Roglic.
To finish third after all his efforts on the climb is just reward, and now only 8 secs behind Bardet in fifth place, and les than a minute from Vlasov, he comfortably beat Bardet in the opening TT, so must have his eye on 5th. overall.
Very happy for Caruso, he deserved that win and his second on GC, not too sorry to see Yates fade at the end, I am not keen on his habit of hiding in the bunch all day and then sprinting off at the end. I like a rider who contributes something to the race, not to simply feed off other riders efforts.

I agree about Kuss, however, I have a strange antipathy for American riders, I hate to see them going well. I can't tell you why, I'm not anti US in any way, but it bugs me to see the Stars and Stripes on a rider looking like winning. Maybe a hangover from the Armstrong days, a man I never liked even before his disgrace.

Can INEOS take all three Grand Tours this year? I wonder.
Old 29 May 2021, 18:59 (Ref:4053772)   #295
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Can INEOS take all three Grand Tours this year? I wonder.
Thomas beating both Slovenians? Nah don't see that happen.
Old 29 May 2021, 20:00 (Ref:4053773)   #296
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Thomas beating both Slovenians? Nah don't see that happen.
Sure would be difficult, might depend what teams they all have, INEOS have a number of Tour winners in their ranks, should be a good race.
Old 30 May 2021, 08:48 (Ref:4053804)   #297
bauble
Veteran

England
For those who like pictures;
Attached Thumbnails
010-GMD_2713.jpg   180-_FF58238.jpg   185-_FF66172.jpg  

262-_FF66500.jpg   268-_FF66660.jpg   317-MP2_6893.jpg  

Old 30 May 2021, 08:56 (Ref:4053805)   #298
bauble
Veteran

England
I do;
Attached Thumbnails
200-_FF58507.jpg   205-_FF58578.jpg   255-_FF66622.jpg  

260-5C.jpg   270-_FF66795.jpg   305-_FF66853.jpg  

Old 30 May 2021, 09:23 (Ref:4053807)   #299
bauble
Veteran

England
And;
Attached Thumbnails
283-_FF66682 (1).jpg   283-_FF66682.jpg   284-_FF66694.jpg  

285-_FF66746.jpg   327-CORVOS_00033176-063.jpg   330-MP2_6890.jpg  

Old 30 May 2021, 09:26 (Ref:4053808)   #300
bauble
Veteran

England
Finally;
Attached Thumbnails
271-_FF66872.jpg   317-MP2_6893.jpg   350-ALP_6825.jpg  

390-ALP_7055.jpg   420-_FF58574.jpg