Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Dec 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3344927)   #2676
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I might have suggested the Nissan bods too perhaps...
I was guessing they were in the same boat so might be sympathetic, however its just as likely that look down on the non manufacturer funded attempt.

Ive never felt Rick or Todd have the arrogance of the other two though
Old 17 Dec 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3345220)   #2677
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never met Betty but I'd like to, she seems like a great person.

And yes, If there is a list, Dane would have to be somewhere up top (or "there or thereabouts" )
Old 18 Dec 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3345232)   #2678
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon McNamara sprung to mind for me. It seems a year in V8s breeds a healthy dose of paranoia, and there's nothing wrong with that...
Old 18 Dec 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3345242)   #2679
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Simon McNamara sprung to mind for me. It seems a year in V8s breeds a healthy dose of paranoia, and there's nothing wrong with that...
I dont think anyone understands his role exactly. Mr McNamara fights for the Holden brand, not the individual teams themselves... and is good at politicking his way into wherever he needs to go... from experience and previous success.

Holden put their brand new, never seen before VF Commodore at the test day earlier this year... and the punters didnt seem to go near it... even though it was a huge world scoop...

The question of engagement with fans is a huge one... some do well at parts of it (the Red Bull fan experience as a continuation of the similar Vodafone one is awesome... but limited as to the number of guests for example...)

Lets see whether Volvo kicks this up a lot next season...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Dec 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3345262)   #2680
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B & K Jones.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3347151)   #2681
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Woohoo... we have found a replacement for the acid of Mr McKay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
New V8s not so Super

After 20-odd years of exclusively Ford-versus-Holden rivalry the administrators of Australia’s most popular racing category announced they were keen to attract new manufacturers to the sport. The only problem was no-one else produced Falcons or Commodores.
Enter the new “car of the future” formula, which used a common chassis, mounted with different shaped bodies and V8 engines peculiar to the specific breed. Nissan jumped at the chance, Mercedes-Benz tried to stop Erebus Motorsport parade its hard-won prestige image through the heartland of bogan-ville and the outcome has so far been less than scintillating. Holden Commodores and Ford Falcons kept on winning the races, with the exception of a sole controversial race at Winton by Nissan, which was allowed to run a slightly different brew of ethanol-infused unleaded. That’s despite V8Supercars’ benevolent dictatorship changing the rules at Bathurst to accommodate the kind of Mercedes-Benz-looking car’s high tech V8 that was thirstier than an ancient pushrod design. Confused? Wait until Volvo arrives in 2014…
Mr Hawley's Smash & Bash Here

Old 23 Dec 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3347158)   #2682
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Just because its not positive about V8s doesn't make it wrong

Just balances out the "all hail" drivel written by the likes of Mr Phelps or Mr Lomas
Old 23 Dec 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3347171)   #2683
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Just because its not positive about V8s doesn't make it wrong

Just balances out the "all hail" drivel written by the likes of Mr Phelps or Mr Lomas
My question might be whether the author actually watched the races or just saw the reports on Speedcafe?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3347371)   #2684
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

He is correct; the season was mostly a Holdenfest. If it wasn't for so many different Holden drivers (particularly the beginning of the year) winning even the rest of the Holden friendly media would have to agree.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3347418)   #2685
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason the season was a Holden fest, is due to the grid being a .... Holdenfest.

Is anyone surprised Holden won the teams c'ship?

Its not really difficult to understand why the results are what they are.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3347428)   #2686
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... did anyone miss that there were more winners, and first time winners, this season than in any other in recent memory. More cars & drivers from different teams won races... the fields were all mixed up...

The outcome is the same as the previous year, with 888 & FPR at the top of the pops, but to just look at that stat and say the year was craap misses the whole point of the exercise.

How cool was it to see the BJR pair win races this year, the Jason Richards Trophy in NZ, or Mr McLaughlin winning races for the unfancied GRM squad... or Mr Mostert defying all the odds to win for DJR.. which was within a hairsbreath of not even taking part only a few months earlier...

Or knowing that every single one of the 28 pilots finished in the top 10 in one race or another across the whole 36 race championship. Where else in the world does that happen in motorsport????

Or how about Bathurst... Ford finally wins one with the works team...

Watching the end result, that Holden and 888 were dominant ignores all this good stuff thru the season...
Old 24 Dec 2013, 00:15 (Ref:3347433)   #2687
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the winners that everyone remembers.
Everything else is just unimportant.

Most people look at the stat's to help make their minds up. Stat's don't lie.

Just like Jamie Whincup will go down in history as THE BEST driver Australia has ever produced.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3347435)   #2688
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

Just like Jamie Whincup will go down in history as THE BEST driver Australia has ever produced.

In whose lunch time, just like the media, never let the facts get in the way of a story
Old 24 Dec 2013, 01:32 (Ref:3347452)   #2689
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news fomoco-stay healthy and get back trackside asap.
Hospitals and medical experts can do a lot however it is the input and love of family and friends that makes the difference.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 01:37 (Ref:3347454)   #2690
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Great news fomoco-stay healthy and get back trackside asap.
Hospitals and medical experts can do a lot however it is the input and love of family and friends that makes the difference.
I agree...
Old 24 Dec 2013, 04:35 (Ref:3347482)   #2691
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I think you may have forgotten a certain Sir Jack Brabham !!!!

And Alan Jones
And Vern Schuppan
And David & Geoff Brabham
And Mark Webber
And another 10 or more you could probably name who have achieved internationally
Old 24 Dec 2013, 05:53 (Ref:3347496)   #2692
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
I think you may have forgotten a certain Sir Jack Brabham !!!!

And Alan Jones
And Vern Schuppan
And David & Geoff Brabham
And Mark Webber
And another 10 or more you could probably name who have achieved internationally
Sorry, for those that couldn't tell, I forgot to include in my last post.

Old 24 Dec 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3347546)   #2693
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
The reason the season was a Holden fest, is due to the grid being a .... Holdenfest.

Is anyone surprised Holden won the teams c'ship?

Its not really difficult to understand why the results are what they are.
Holden only makes up about half the grid yet won the lion's share of the races, despite a fair number of those Holdens coming from the most poorly funded teams on the grid with no chance of a win and the HRT based cars were a shambles for the most part.

But then, some of those Holden teams that did win races would never have if T8 had not had such a relatively poor start to the season. Non-T8 Holden wins were thin on the ground towards the end and I wouldn't expect too many next year; it will be a T8 fest instead.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3348222)   #2694
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
2013 in Review
Old 28 Dec 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3348224)   #2695
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 V8 Supercars season review
Old 14 Jan 2014, 04:37 (Ref:3353706)   #2696
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Has the love between LDM & 888 run its course?

Story Here
Quote:
No. Maybe T8 are just getting things in place for an announcement re 2014>.
Andt HERE is that announcement.