Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Jun 2019, 16:46 (Ref:3914159)   #226
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I do not include of acknowledge the ugliest cars mankind has ever made in the Bentley and Rolls Royce SUVs, I almost ran off the road trying to avert my eyes at the Rolls last month.
That would look good on your insurance claim- “I left the road after catching a glimpse of a RR Cullinan”....... Have to agree, though, IMO hideous!
Old 25 Jun 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3914171)   #227
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That would look good on your insurance claim- “I left the road after catching a glimpse of a RR Cullinan”....... Have to agree, though, IMO hideous!
Thankfully I could refer to the dash cam video and have first hand evidence. Thanfully I haven't seen one fully chromed yet but I know I will. Gold chrome is GOD AWFUL ugly and I've seen 2 Fiskers, Bentley Continental and a Rolls Royce I couldn't ID this year and almost cried at the vehicle abuse.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3914175)   #228
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
In my book, an ‘SUV’ should be circa 5m long, approaching 2m tall, have a square back end, 4WD, good approach and departure angles, plus high ground clearance. And be able to tow 3.5 tonnes.
No love for the Suzuki Vitara and Lada Niva?
Old 25 Jun 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3914178)   #229
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
No love for the Suzuki Vitara and Lada Niva?
Actually, the Lada Niva seems to be becoming a bit of a modern classic, mostly as there so few left in the UK.... But they won’t tow 3.5 tonnes, so don’t meet my criteria!
Old 25 Jun 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3914181)   #230
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Lada Niva is getting the same status as the Citroën 2CV. A car many are fondle of, but everyone who had one hated it.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3914187)   #231
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In my book, an ‘SUV’ should be circa 5m long, approaching 2m tall, have a square back end, 4WD, good approach and departure angles, plus high ground clearance. And be able to tow 3.5 tonnes.

Anything else is a Chelsea tractor.......
You've hurt the feelings of my Panda 4x4 Mike!
Old 26 Jun 2019, 04:36 (Ref:3914226)   #232
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
You've hurt the feelings of my Panda 4x4 Mike!
But it will be perfect when it grows up!

I have this vision of a Rolls with PandyCross slung on davits across it's back / stern...…
Old 26 Jun 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3914286)   #233
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
.... What most of us – especially those with kids and grand kids – want is something practical. Something safe. Something economical and credit crunchingly reasonable to buy. Four-by-fours it seems are the new family car. They are the 21st Century’s answer to the Ford Sierra.'
'SUVs scream rugged durability and dependability in the face of [...]leaves on the driveway.'
So taking each of the arguments for the rise of SUV's in turn:

*"Something practical" - no more practical than the equivalent hatchback (arguably less so due to the increased external size).
*"Something safe" - no safer than any other class with an equivalent EuroNCAP score.
*"Something economical" - less economical than the equivalent hatchback due to increased weight.
*"credit crunchingly reasonable to buy" - more expensive then the equivalent hatchback.

The only logical conclusion therefore is that the average car customer is a ****ing idiot.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3914297)   #234
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
So taking each of the arguments for the rise of SUV's in turn:

*"Something practical" - no more practical than the equivalent hatchback (arguably less so due to the increased external size).
*"Something safe" - no safer than any other class with an equivalent EuroNCAP score.
*"Something economical" - less economical than the equivalent hatchback due to increased weight.
*"credit crunchingly reasonable to buy" - more expensive then the equivalent hatchback.

The only logical conclusion therefore is that the average car customer is a ****ing idiot.
True - and that is what the article is getting at.

The current crop of Crossover and light-duty SUVs actually tick none of the boxes that a car buyer is looking for, but they have the perception of ticking all of them.

Taking a look at one of the most common in the UK, and comparing it to another car from the same manufacturer - the Vauxhall Mokka vs Astra Tourer.

CriteriaMokkaAstra
Price(min)£23,875£20,355
mpg36.747.9
Boot size(l)360/1372540/1630
Towing capacity(kg)12001150
NCAP5*5*
Old 27 Jun 2019, 11:27 (Ref:3914414)   #235
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More details of the Kia XCeed have been published
'The Xceed is 85mm longer than the Ceed hatchback, with a 42mm increase in ride height and a 43mm taller roofline - making it more spacious inside. '
'Boot space stands at 426 litres, a 31-litre increase over the standard Ceed hatchback. Folding the rear seats, which can be split 40:20:40, increases the available load space to 1,378 litres. Further practical features include a split-level boot floor and an automatic tailgate as standard on all trim levels.'

Old 27 Jun 2019, 11:30 (Ref:3914415)   #236
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Ford Puma SUV
'the new Puma getting an all-new five-door coupe-like SUV design that is 46mm longer, 54mm higher and 71mm wider compared with the Fiesta. The Puma’s wheelbase (the distance between the front and rear wheels) is 95mm longer too.'
'Both the front and rear seats feature removable covers, allowing owners to mix-and-match their interior colours but to also remove them for cleaning when needed.
The new Puma is practical too, with a 456-litre boot, a hands-free tailgate and a rear parcel shelf that is made from a flexible material that makes it adaptable to the shape of items in the boot. The boot floor can be raised or lowered, or folded against the rear seats. According to Ford, this gives enough space for a couple of small suitcases or a golf bag stored upright. The lower boot also has a drain plug in the floor allowing you to clean the entire boot if required.'

Old 27 Jun 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3914417)   #237
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say I do like the new Puma it good looking car. I will be in the market for a new family car in the next 12 to 18 months. I might have to have a look at one when they hit the streets.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 15:51 (Ref:3914450)   #238
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just a shame they named it Puma, a car which many have fond memories of in its previous form.....

Going back to the Lotus ‘SUV’, while driving on the B1135 past the Hethel factory this afternoon I spotted another disguised test vehicle, this one #24. Not huge and not tall, so obviously they’re going for the ‘sporty’ SUV market! Proportions look OK....

Old 27 Jun 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3914478)   #239
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Ick. The Ford Cockewomble. Sacrilege to stick a fondly remembered name on a poor mans melted a bit in the oven Audi Q2 copy. Can we stick a Capri badge on the Kuga replacement?

Ford really have lost the plot. The Focus looks errgh, the Mondeo sucks, the Ecosport... let's not get me started.

The Fiesta looks ok, feels well screwed together and goes well. It's the only Ford that passes muster for me.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3914482)   #240
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I look at that Ford Puma and see Nissan Joke... Oops Juke
Old 27 Jun 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3914484)   #241
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It's not quite as ugly as the Juke.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3914490)   #242
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I guess I might be in the minority here, but I was never a fan of the old Puma. Too small to sit in comfortably, too slow and underpowered for serious driving and just looked wrong proportion wise when compared to the Cougar.

The new Puma looks a much better proposition, and adds a bit of style into the CUV market that does have some ugly siblings.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 05:43 (Ref:3914546)   #243
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
No, you were right the first time! There is a mum who drives a Nismo Joke around these parts, usually way in excess of the speed limit. Looks even worse. Not quite as good as another school run mum that delivers and collects at least a mile either way in her new Cherokee SRT8, complete with ‘FA57 ...’ registration number....

Anyway, I digress.

Oh, and Racing Puma proportions looked better!
Old 28 Jun 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3914584)   #244
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
and the Super 1600 Puma looked really good.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3914612)   #245
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Anyway, I digress.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
To my eyes the front end looks like a distressed Pikachu, and the back looks like it reversed into a wall.

Old 28 Jun 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3914673)   #246
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
and the Super 1600 Puma looked really good.
All the S1600 rally cars were cool, very cool......

Happy not to agree, crmalcolm! Would be a very boring world if we all liked the same....
Old 28 Jun 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3914678)   #247
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I wonder if Ford will sell the Puma in North America to replace the Fiesta.
Old 28 Jun 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3914680)   #248
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I wonder if Ford will sell the Puma in North America to replace the Fiesta.
It’s replacing the unpopular eco’sport’ thing here.....
Old 28 Jun 2019, 19:57 (Ref:3914682)   #249
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It’s replacing the unpopular eco’sport’ thing here.....
It's not replacing, it's being sold alongside.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/puma/suv-2020/

'Ford has unveiled a new compact SUV crossover positioned between its Ecosport and Kuga models.'
Old 28 Jun 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3914683)   #250
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Ford EcoSport 2020