Old 20 Jul 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1359285)   #1
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic 29-31st July

I would just like to advise all marshals at this event of the following:-

I am afraid that for sign-on you will have to park in the old kart track by the pedestrian bridge on the outside of the circuit and walk to the pit bar to sign-on.

The marshals' campsite will be located where the Copse Corner Village Area is for the GP.

Please accept our apologies for these arrangements, but due to the number of entries and other events, the car parks in the centre of the circuit are all being used.

I hope everyone enjoys the meeting as we have 17 very good races with plenty of entrants.

If anyone has not volunteered and finds that they are free to do Friday, please PM me.

Fay Crook
Chief Marshal
Old 20 Jul 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1359324)   #2
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone interested in the entry lists they can be found here www.silverstoneclassic.com

the most upto date program can be found here http://www.tgpf1.com/silverstone05_ptt.doc

Both are provisional but give a good idea of whats happening.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1359412)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blimey thats a bit of a pain, but with the numbers involved it is easy to understand why its being done!

Thanks for the info!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1359498)   #4
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad I'm @ Lydden, this sounds worse than the G.P.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1359549)   #5
red5pete
Rookie

England
Devon
red5pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Is this new campsite on the outside of the circuit opposite the start and finish straight.

When I went to the WTCC we camped on the inside of copse corner, which was a nice site.

Come on we give our services for free for the three days and they've put our campsite on the outside.

It would have been nice to camp on the inside and feel part of the whole event.

This is one of the reasons why the older generation marshal is leaving the sport!!!!!!!!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1359580)   #6
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame that Silverstone,a multi-million pound facility,are unable or unwilling to provide permanent and exclusive,sign-on,parking and even camping facilities for us Marshals A place, portacabins for instance, with information, diagrams on the walls,showing the different circuit configurations and Flag posts/Observers boxes,etc;all very useful for the 'newbie' or occasional visitor especially Dare I say a changing room for those "wet days".Ah,well...I can dream can't I !! In the end it's usually the Marshals that have to capitulate. P.S. sorry if I'm going over old ground again.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1359615)   #7
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one am happy that we have been moved to the outside of the circuit.
If the plan is to get back to the old days of coys historic festival then the center will be packed with cars and the public so im happy to be out of the way a bit.
I am always nervious about leaving stuff on the usual campsite where anybody can get at it.

If you remember we were never allowed to take cars into the circuit for the coys historic festival, becasue the center was packed and we had to be bussed to post.

Oh and by the way, the sign on is permanant (the paddock bar), it is exclusive cause they no longer use it as a bar, there is a dirty great carpark right behind the sign on, and there is a campsite (copse runway). just becasue for 2 meetings a year we have to vacate our usual places becasue there are 1000's of people, cars, teams, attactions, displays, bars, and im sure some people trying to sell you something it doesn't mean that we are being treated as second class.

Maybe you should try some of the smaller meetings, before you cherry pick the best meetings and then slag off the circuit
Old 20 Jul 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1359645)   #8
red5pete
Rookie

England
Devon
red5pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Silverstone having so many full race weekend meetings, it would be handy for the marshals to have a perminant secure campsite like many other circuits in the uk.

I just see so many threads about the reduction in marshal numbers and then circuits pushing marshals around like a spare part.

Circuits of Silverstones size need to be more proactive towards marshals before its to late.

Other than that the meeting looks like it will be a cracker,
Old 20 Jul 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1359721)   #9
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I for one am happy that we have been moved to the outside of the circuit.
If the plan is to get back to the old days of coys historic festival then the center will be packed with cars and the public so im happy to be out of the way a bit.
I am always nervious about leaving stuff on the usual campsite where anybody can get at it.

If you remember we were never allowed to take cars into the circuit for the coys historic festival, becasue the center was packed and we had to be bussed to post.

Oh and by the way, the sign on is permanant (the paddock bar), it is exclusive cause they no longer use it as a bar, there is a dirty great carpark right behind the sign on, and there is a campsite (copse runway). just becasue for 2 meetings a year we have to vacate our usual places becasue there are 1000's of people, cars, teams, attactions, displays, bars, and im sure some people trying to sell you something it doesn't mean that we are being treated as second class.

Maybe you should try some of the smaller meetings, before you cherry pick the best meetings and then slag off the circuit
Thank you Scorch,for your friendly comments Thought the forum rules were to attack the post,not the poster!! For your information,I have marshalled at Silverstone,on a reular basis for the last 25 years .I've done all types of meetings,from the smallest clubbie,upto and including the GP."CHERRY PICKING" is something I have no need to do,nor have ever done!! I remember when the Historic Festival was sponsored by Christies and being "bussed" to post didn't last long.There also used to be a purpose built unit on the Copse runway,for the Marshals,next to a permanent campsite.Are you inferring that security is better,outside the circuit? One last thing...perhaps two...I don't remember mentioning that we were being teated 'second class',and as for "slagging off" the circuit....Silverstone happens to be one of my favourites
Old 21 Jul 2005, 06:02 (Ref:1359855)   #10
jcbsrule
Rookie

jcbsrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by red5pete
With Silverstone having so many full race weekend meetings, it would be handy for the marshals to have a perminant secure campsite like many other circuits in the uk.

I just see so many threads about the reduction in marshal numbers and then circuits pushing marshals around like a spare part.

Circuits of Silverstones size need to be more proactive towards marshals before its to late.

Other than that the meeting looks like it will be a cracker,
We did have a perminant campsite , but a few people didn't take there vans off the site during the winter months, thanks guys for that
So we now all have to suffer.
I agree circuits need to be more proactive, So if your at Silverstone this weekend or next have a word with Pete ,
Old 21 Jul 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1359953)   #11
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I said above, it is a bit annoying, we marshals seem to detest change in any form, but its being done for a good reason and I am thankful to Fay for letting us know in advance what the situation is going to be!

Grandslammer do you camp at all the meetings you attend at silverstone?

There are a few of us that camp at all the two day meetings and while we long for a permenant facility we make the best of what we have and usually have a great time. Ok so that weekend our site will be in a different place, inside or outside, wherever we camp we tend to have a great time. Being on the outside of the circuit, where it is likely to be quieter will not spoil it for us.

You have to rememeber, even a circuit the size of silverstone still had limited space on the inside and with about 600 competitors expected that is gonna run out pretty fast! I'm with Scorch on this one, its gonna be good to be out of the way!
Old 21 Jul 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1360044)   #12
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by red5pete
Is this new campsite on the outside of the circuit opposite the start and finish straight.

When I went to the WTCC we camped on the inside of copse corner, which was a nice site.

Come on we give our services for free for the three days and they've put our campsite on the outside.

It would have been nice to camp on the inside and feel part of the whole event.

This is one of the reasons why the older generation marshal is leaving the sport!!!!!!!!
Yes, the campsite for this event is behind the Copse grandstands. Looking at the map it is fairly close to toilets, so you get permanent amenities.

As for being a long way from the action, I think you will find that there are various car clubs between the marshals campsite and the main entrance. So you will not be far from the action. There will also be plenty to look at in the main paddocks and I am sure some of the drivers will still be around in the evening for chats.

Once again I apologize for the fact that you have to be out of the centre, but I hope that when you see the amount going on you will understand why it is necessary on this occasion.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1360211)   #13
jcbsrule
Rookie

jcbsrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Chezza WE do have some good times.
Will there be showers on the outside of the circuit for us??
Old 21 Jul 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1360364)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Ah yes showers is a good point...gonna be a bit of a trek otherwise!
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1360619)   #15
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be competing twice at this event (assuming car and driver last out) and so, amongst all the angst, it's appropriate to say that we really appreciate your freely-given efforts. I genuinely think that Brit flaggies are the best in Europe (maybe the world, but not done that). I think that, due to the size of the event, most people will be 'inconvenienced' in some way, but we all hope that it will be a tremendously successful and busy weekend. Well done HSCC/BRDC for organising it. They deserve our support.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1360624)   #16
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
I think that, due to the size of the event, most people will be 'inconvenienced' in some way, but we all hope that it will be a tremendously successful and busy weekend.
I think you are right that most people will be inconvenienced I understand that drivers are not allowed private vehicles in the paddock areas and there is a shuttle from there car park.

Drivers have also been asked to have there race cars on display when not racing.

I believe the reason the marshals camp site has been moved from Copse runway is due to this area being used for a display of Vintage Aircraft. (If only there were trains as well Bob Sketchley would have no reason to complain).

I just hope the meeting lives upto the build up it has been given.

See you all there next weekend or even this weekend for MGCC.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1362948)   #17
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbsrule
I agree with Chezza WE do have some good times.
Will there be showers on the outside of the circuit for us??
Yes, there will be showers provided.