Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1922769)   #76
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well if this truly warrants investigation, a lot of race results will need to be reviewed retrospectively.

Quite how they will prove this I am unsure. Quite what would be punishable I am at a loss.

6 laps lighter in Monaco probably sounds a lot, but don't forget the fuel consumption there is probably a fair bit less than other tracks.

Would we be having this debate if the shoe was on the other foot? I'm as eager as anyone for Lewis to get a win, but he wasn't good enough this weekend. Simple facts sort this out. His time is very close however.
Alonso would never have accepted Lewis 's strategy for himself.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1922770)   #77
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It seems that the race was already won before the end of qualifying.What next I wonder? Before the end of Saturday practice? Before the end of Thurs/Fri practise? Or maybe the one who arrives at the Mclaren motorhome first!
Old 28 May 2007, 12:18 (Ref:1922772)   #78
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White
Lewis stated he was fuel to run up to 6 laps longer than Fernando in the first stint.
Link??
Old 28 May 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1922777)   #79
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Link??
Read the FIA after race press conference.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1922780)   #80
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If McLaren are investigated for this then I am ashamed of this sport.

If anything further happens, this is not a sport.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:26 (Ref:1922782)   #81
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc
He He nuff said .
The same FIA that has ruined F1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
It seems that the race was already won before the end of qualifying.What next I wonder? Before the end of Saturday practice? Before the end of Thurs/Fri practise? Or maybe the one who arrives at the Mclaren motorhome first!
Fortunately McLaren can do what they want. Or though that doesn't seem acceptable nowadays; we need an enquiry into how someone decides to run their team.

The papers should organise a demonstration outside McLarens factory, just as they did when Williams didn't re-sign Mansell.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:27 (Ref:1922785)   #82
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
And the gutter press, sorry, the British media wouldn't have muttered a word had the drivers been told to "hold station" with Lewis leading.

Can anyone tell me, when, fighting for the lead, one driver overtook his team-mate during a race at Monaco? Had McLaren been suicidal enough to let their drivers beat each other up on the track, i'd bet Lewis wouldn't have managed to get past anyway, not without damaging his own and/or Fernando's race.
Yes but we would have had a race!!!!! is that not what we want?
Old 28 May 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1922789)   #83
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He also said

Quote:

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (2nd):
“To finish second and running similar lap times to Fernando (Alonso) at the prestigious Monaco Grand Prix makes me very happy. The team has done a fantastic job, and Fernando and I were able to give them the result they deserved. My start was quite good, and I could run close to Fernando but obviously it didn’t make sense to try anything crazy as our job is to ensure the maximum amount of points for the team. It’s almost impossible to overtake in Monaco and as a result your only chance is for the guy in front of you to make a mistake. However, Fernando is a double world champion so I knew there would be none. I had good pace in the beginning, but then I had some graining on my front tyres which didn’t help. It was an exciting race which also saw me tapping the guardrails a couple of times, fortunately without influencing the handling of the car. All in all a great weekend for the team and me.”
Quote:
It wouldn't have lasted long once they'd stuffed it into one another.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1922790)   #84
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course we want a race, but McLaren had to safeguard 18 points, when Ferrari were having an off weekend.

If the FIA do penalise McLaren then there'll be plenty of accusations of a fix, in Ferrari's favour. Ron Dennis hasn't helped his case though.

It's a team sport, and McLaren played a team game. Hamilton never convinced me that he could beat Alonso. He was in another league.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1922791)   #85
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, Lewis said five or maybe six.
It has also been stated that Alonso was two laps later than was meant to be; he saved fuel in the early laps and the formation lap. (Same presss conference).

Further, do we actually know that more fuel was put in Hamiltons car at the first stop? If McLaren were trying to hinder Lewis why would they do this? Mark Hughes said that Hamilton's stop was 0.5s longer, that is all we have to go on. I presume he got this from the "total time in the pits" information http://www.formula1.com/race/result/pitstops/774/8.html (?).

However it now seems the public are getting what they want - an investiagation into the result. If it is changed then that is more like fixing it. The British media are suggesting that McLaren should have put both their cars at more risk; it may have lost Hamilton eight points, McLaren 18 and a British driver and British team the championship.
Quote:
I just want F1 to be like it has always been in this respect. Bring back the good old days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Adam43; 28 May 2007 at 12:36.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:36 (Ref:1922795)   #86
Paulc
Rookie

Quote:
The first one to get Ron a coffee in the morning before first free practise gets the race!
Old 28 May 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1922796)   #87
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Link.http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...280507-01.html
Old 28 May 2007, 12:41 (Ref:1922798)   #88
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In a way I hope McLaren are stripped of all their points for Monaco.

I would be very interested indeed to see the reaction here should the team lose by 17 points and Lewis/Fernando by 7/9 points...
Old 28 May 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1922799)   #89
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
In a way I hope McLaren are stripped of all their points for Monaco.
I'll be up for that too.

Give the pubic what they want. It is their sport they should be able to chose who it is run, how the teams are run and who wins. Why should The Ron have that privilege?
Old 28 May 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1922800)   #90
Paulc
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies
Of course we want a race, but McLaren had to safeguard 18 points, when Ferrari were having an off weekend.

If the FIA do penalise McLaren then there'll be plenty of accusations of a fix, in Ferrari's favour. Ron Dennis hasn't helped his case though.

It's a team sport, and McLaren played a team game. Hamilton never convinced me that he could beat Alonso. He was in another league.
Not looking to good this for Ron Dennis, Ferrari have a history with getting the weight with the FIA have to agree there Dennis doesent seem to help his cause though.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1922801)   #91
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If the FIA do anything due to British media getting the facts completely wrong and over-hyping the situation it will be far worse for the sport.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1922802)   #92
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
If the FIA do anything due to British media getting the facts completely wrong and over-hyping the situation it will be far worse for the sport.
You can count me out of bothering with F1 for a start, if anything is done.

We talk a lot about the gutter press, media, ITV etc... and how annoying they can be. But once it gets to the stage where they can, theoretically, interfere with the sport we love it's the day the sport becomes a major irrelevance.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:47 (Ref:1922803)   #93
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It is what people want though. If we are to get rid of these team orders that have tainted the sport for the last one hundred years we must take action.

The revolution is here my friend and The Ron is the first against the wall.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1922805)   #94
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
The first one to get Ron a coffee in the morning before first free practise gets the race!
If anything Hamilton had the better strategy ... he had the potential to switch to a one-stop race should there be a safety car, Alonso didn't.

4 out of 5 of the last races had a safety car!

Obviously teams are going to hedge their bets to ensure the best chance of maximum points ... if this means pitting Hamilton early 'cos the safety car went on standby, no one can object.

I think everyone incorrectly assumes Hamilton has the pace to out-race Alonso, which simply wasn't true at any point in Monaco except when Alonso slowed deliberately after his 2nd stop ... only to speed up again by nearly 2secs/lap.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1922808)   #95
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

It may have been a "race",but it failed to be a "sport".
Old 28 May 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1922812)   #96
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If McLaren are investigated for this then I am ashamed of this sport.

Investigation? I am with Knowles. An investigation into this hurts the sport more than any "team rules" nonsense that the media has stirred up.
Old 28 May 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1922818)   #97
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The media are just annoyed that Dennis has restricted their access to Hamilton and that they didn't get the fairytale story they'd spent two weeks predicting, so now they are looking for a scapegoat. Step forward Ron.

Dennis hasn't helped himself by being so candid though.

Alonso had the pace to control the race. I'm a Hamilton fan, but this wasn't going to be his race regardless of the strategy.
Old 28 May 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1922820)   #98
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
You can count me out of bothering with F1 for a start, if anything is done.

We talk a lot about the gutter press, media, ITV etc... and how annoying they can be. But once it gets to the stage where they can, theoretically, interfere with the sport we love it's the day the sport becomes a major irrelevance.
You mentioned that word again (sport).

To be honest,I think that the 'complainees' will be eating pasta around about now.
Old 28 May 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1922821)   #99
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My god. A thread, where two trolls are managing to stir up a massive crowd.

Look at the stats on "Driver of the Day" poll: frankly, I think that says volumes about what people think. I'd guess that probably >90% of people think Alonso deserved to win that race. Even Hamilton admitted that his strategy had largely hinged on the safety car.

As for the FIA investigation, I frankly think that's appalling. What McLaren did was entirely correct. They used a strategy which covered both bases, and Alonso had looked stronger through qualifying, so he deserved to be on the one which required pure pace rather than luck.

And as a final note to the trolls: If your *****ing so much about TC and strategies etc, well, the technology and strategy is what makes F1 unique. If everyone had to pit once, and all the cars were some low tech crap, I wouldn't watch it, and i'd bet a lot of others wouldn't either.

If you complain that Monaco wasn't racing, frankly, go and watch karting. You clearly aren't enjoying F1, so stop trying to annoy every one else while your at it.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 28 May 2007 at 13:06. Reason: Sort of agree, but let's keep our heads here.
Old 28 May 2007, 13:04 (Ref:1922825)   #100
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

To be honest,I think that the 'complainees' will be eating pasta around about now.

Wow, the English press eats together at the same hour, in an Italian restaurant, no less... Well, at least they have taste.