Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 26 Mar 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3811077)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
TimD (Tim Dudley) former moderator at 10 Tenths

It is with great personal sadness that I learned yesterday of the recent sudden death of former 10 Tenths moderator, TimD. He sadly passed away around a month ago due to complications with his Diabetes.

I first met Tim many years ago - I think at a snowy early season Silverstone event... the exact location does not matter - and it was immediately apparent that he was one of life's good ones. A quiet, humble character, he came alive when the subject got round to pre-war Bentleys and the history of the sport in general. Eventually, after some coaxing, he was persuaded that he was indeed 'up to the job' of moderating the Historic Racing section here on 10 Tenths. That he was doubtful that he should be 'trusted with the keys' (his words) says everything you need to know about Tim. He was the perfect candidate and did the site proud for many years.

Tim was responsible for my own interest in Le Mans and even volunteered to take me down a couple of times when I had no other way to get there. Okay, I confess that the character of the trip was somewhat different from my other (rather more beer and bbq based) visits, but it was probably better for it. I learned more about the history and the character of the race those weekends than I have done before or since. Really enjoyable.

I am sad to say that I lost touch with Tim a few years ago as both of our respective paths diverged and latterly Tim was found behind the counter of his own bookstore that he had established in the Peak District. For someone who filled his home full of books and magazines relating to all aspects of the sport that he loved, this was fitting and I am pleased that he found happiness in what happened to be the latter years of his life.

I am saddened because he was an all-round good man, a decent man and a friend to me. I am saddened because we lost touch and I somehow always presumed that our paths would one-day cross once more. I am, however, delighted to have know him and spent time with him. One of life's characters, as I say, but no-one I ever met had anything but good words to say about him. He will be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Le Mans 2005 167.jpg  

Last edited by Craig; 26 Mar 2018 at 20:17.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3812321)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sorry to hear this. Did he have a profile picture? I seem to remember he did, but not entirely sure if he did
Old 1 Apr 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3812368)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
If I remember right it was, fittingly, a picture of a vintage Bentley
Old 1 Apr 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3812370)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
http://tentenths.com/forum/member.php?u=734

Yup...
Old 6 Apr 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3813191)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was also an expert on the history of Brooklands if memory serves.

Best wishes to Tim's family.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3814920)   #6
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Gosh, not been on the forum for months and then see this.

Really sad to hear the news, as Craig says, Tim was one of the nice guys in this world. I met him a few times at Le Mans, always in a white shirt and hat as in the photo. I also remember the front window of his old Rover which was virtually obscured by Le Mans camping and parking 'billets' - how he ever got it through the MOT was something of a mystery! A genuinely good person and even though like Craig I lost touch with him, I will remember him fondly as I am sure will many others. I'll certainly raise a glass of wine (more in keeping with him than beer!) to him at Le Mans this June.