Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 9 Jun 2016, 12:53 (Ref:3648457)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Round 9: Firestone 600, Texas Motor Speedway, 10th-11th June, 2016.

Round 9: Firestone 600, Texas Motor Speedway, 10th-11th June, 2016.

This Saturday's race at Texas Motor Speedway, will mark the second half of the 2016 season.

On June 7th 1997, the Indy Racing League held the "1997 True Value 500", the 6th round of the fledgling series at the Texas Motor Speedway, or TMS. It was the first night race in the history of AOWR and was won by Arie Luyendyk, driving a Panoz G-Force-Oldsmobile for Treadway Racing. Since then it has been a perennial event on the IndyCar series calendar.

From 1998-2004, the track hosted a second race in October and in 2007, the race distance was increased from 500 to 550 km. In 2011, the 'Firestone Twin 275s' were held, made up of two 275km races, separated by a "halftime", with half points awarded for each race. The grid for the second race was decided by a random draw, which proved so unpopular the twin race format was scrapped the following year. In 2014, the race was further extended to 600 kilometers.

In 2001, CART scheduled the "Firestone Firehawk 600" at TMS for April 29th. However, after practice and qualifying, the race was cancelled as most drivers reported vertigo like symptoms and vision problems, after sustaining high lateral forces of 5.5G, due to driving in excess of 230 mph or 370 km/h on the 24 degree banking. TMS sued CART, after it emerged CART officials had ignored repeated requests to test their cars before the race. This resulted in a settlement estimated to have been around $5–7 million, which CART paid to TMS. Many pundits have cited the law suit and subsequent settlement as a key reason for CART's eventual demise.

Some Trivia:
Driver with the most wins, 4.
Hélio Castroneves: 2004, 2006, 2009, 2013.
Team with the most wins, 8.
Team Penske: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013.

Track Layout:

Length: 1.5 Miles (2.4 km)
Turns: 4
Lap record:
Paul Tracy, April 28 2001. 0:22.542, 239.552 mph (385.521 kmh) Team Green, Reynard 01i-Honda HR-1 V8t, CART FedEx Championship Series.

Last year's winner:
Scott Dixon,
Chip Ganassi Racing,
Dallara DW12-Chevrolet.

Laps: 248
Distance: 372 Mi (598.676 Km)
Time: 1:52:48.
Average speed: 191.94 Mph (308.89 km/h)

TV Coverage:
NBCSN, 8:00pm ET.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3648507)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe the CART deal is why I have such hatred for this race and track. Plenty of fault on CART's side, but still feel like these cars aren't meant for these tracks and vice versa.

Come 8 pm Saturday, if nothing else is happening, I'll sit and cringe at the TV for a bit. If this is your thing, hope you enjoy.

Good post #1 as always, BJS.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3648511)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Maybe the CART deal is why I have such hatred for this race and track. Plenty of fault on CART's side, but still feel like these cars aren't meant for these tracks and vice versa.

Come 8 pm Saturday, if nothing else is happening, I'll sit and cringe at the TV for a bit. If this is your thing, hope you enjoy.

Cheers,

I don't think we'll see the current incarnation of the DW12 match the speed of Paul Tracy's Reynard-Honda. However, this season, we have seen track records being broken because of the increased downforce the aero-kits provide. Hopefully, they won't produce the high lateral Gs that caused the cancellation of the CART event.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3648743)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Practice 1 is running.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3648790)   #5
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Qualifying is underway. I have the video stream going.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3648797)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Qualifying results:

1. Carlos Muñoz, 217.1
2. Scott Dixon, 216.9
3. Helio Castroneves, 216.7
4. Takuma Sato, 216.7
5. Josef Newgarden, 216.6
6. Simon Pagenaud, 216.6
7. Will Power, 216.6
8. Tony Kanaan, 216.3
9. Alexander Rossi, 216.2
10. James Hinchcliffe, 216.2
11. Ryan Hunter-Reay
12. Marco Andretti
13. Graham Rahal
14. Ed Carpenter
15. Charlie Kimball
16. Mikhail Aleshin
17. Juan Pablo Montoya
18. Sebastien Bourdais
19. Max Chilton
20. Jack Hawksworth
21. Conor Daly
Old 11 Jun 2016, 00:52 (Ref:3648823)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Qualifying result:

Congrats to Munoz on his first Pole. An excellent result for Honda and for Andretti Autosport.

1 Carlos Munoz, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 217.137
2 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 216.901
3 Helio Castroneves, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 216.740
4 Takuma Sato, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 216.740
5 Josef Newgarden, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 216.684
6 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 216.663
7 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 216.647
8 Tony Kanaan, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 216.295
9 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Herta. Dallara/Honda. 216.262
10 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 216.262
11 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 216.260
12 Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 216.162
13 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 215.927
14 Ed Carpenter, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 215.751
15 Charlie Kimball, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 215.533
16 Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 215.299
17 Juan Pablo Montoya, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 215.279
18 Sebastien Bourdais, KVSH Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet 215.030
19 Max Chilton, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 214.864
20 Jack Hawksworth, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Honda. 214.568
21 Conor Daly, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 213.826

Completely missed qualifying.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 10:21 (Ref:3648882)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I always admire someone who continuously finds the time to follow and post on the Indycar forum - telling people how they can't or won't find the time to watch the racing on television

Oh the irony.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 11:02 (Ref:3648888)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
My word for the next day in Texas in America is not what it is wow
Old 11 Jun 2016, 13:18 (Ref:3648911)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I always admire someone who continuously finds the time to follow and post on the Indycar forum - telling people how they can't or won't find the time to watch the racing on television

Oh the irony.
Ironically, I continuously watched the other races this year, posting about enjoying them and have several others about why I have a hard time watching this race, but you choose to single out this one. Bravo.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 20:35 (Ref:3649003)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Oh the irony.
Try again, That's mountainstar. fieldofdreams is generally sympathetic towards Indycar iirc.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned haterz can post here too. I like being challenged and enjoy different perspectives.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3649005)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

Oh the irony.
I don't think we really need any of this thanks.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3649006)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Munoz is really on form. Dunno if Texas and Takuma Sato mix exactly.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 00:42 (Ref:3649029)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The race has been delayed because of rain and the projected Green Flag is at 9:45pm ET.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 02:32 (Ref:3649034)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I think it's safe to say they won't be running tonight. The track just isn't drying worth, well, pick your choice word. (No sun, no wind, and high humidity is a BAD combination.)
Old 12 Jun 2016, 02:45 (Ref:3649036)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
They just showed the back stretch and there are damp patches.

If they don't race and it looks unlikely that they will, that 's going to affect Bourdais and Dixon, particularly Dixon because he's second in the championship, as they both have to be at Le Mans tomorrow.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 03:42 (Ref:3649041)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The race has now been postponed until tomorrow, 2:00pm but I didn't hear whether that was ET or local time.

Edit:
2:15pm ET.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3649042)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
https://youtu.be/sWjlUfLqKcc

Tomorrow at 2 pm est. Better under the lights but is what it is.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3649043)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
https://youtu.be/sWjlUfLqKcc

Tomorrow at 2 pm est. Better under the lights but is what it is.
The Canadian GP is being broadcast from 2:00pm ET, with the race starting at 3:00pm ET.

That will make for some interesting viewing.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 03:55 (Ref:3649044)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Canadian GP is being broadcast from 2:00pm ET, with the race starting at 3:00pm ET.

That will make for some interesting viewing.
Oh man. Hadn't thought about that! The clicker and / or dvr will be busy.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 07:13 (Ref:3649053)   #21
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If they don't race and it looks unlikely that they will, that 's going to affect Bourdais and Dixon, particularly Dixon because he's second in the championship, as they both have to be at Le Mans tomorrow.
I don't believe the teams would like to call in their reserve drivers because their regular drivers would need to go elsewhere to drive because of the postponement.
Probably, the regular drivers' individual contracts spell out how exactly this situation is to be handled.
However, I guess it would be kind of interesting to see a few reserve drivers in that Texas race, even if they would have to start from the back. They would need an additional practice session before that, though, and it's hard to imagine they would get one.

On another message board, somebody mentioned the drivers which need to arrive at Le Mans soon are not just Dixon and Bourdais, but Aleshin and Townsend Bell as well. Since Bell is not racing at Texas but merely commenting, finding a capable pundit to substitute for him in the booth should be a lot easier than the actual racing drivers, if need be.

All of the teams in question, Ganassi, KVSH and Schmidt have run additional cars at Indy and/or have an associated development driver. Most likely, they have already phoned these guys to check if they are available just in case.

But why do I even bother? This is still being held completely out of my time zone.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 12:04 (Ref:3649093)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Both drivers won't make it to Le Mans to Monday and will do scrutineering then. Indycar is their priority and ACO are working with them to accommodate

Aleshin and Bell effected as well
Old 12 Jun 2016, 12:44 (Ref:3649101)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
We may not have the 3 races in 1 timeslot. Fort Worth weather looks grim indeed for this evening.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 14:32 (Ref:3649106)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
We may not have the 3 races in 1 timeslot. Fort Worth weather looks grim indeed for this evening.
Here's a link to the weather in the Fort Worth area. I've found this site good for US weather forecasts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=we...LdHS8Afk0IzoCQ
Old 12 Jun 2016, 17:21 (Ref:3649122)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The IndyCar website says the Green flag is projected for 2:06pm ET and CNBC will be broadcasting from 2:00 p.m. ET.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/06/...xas-race-setup