Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Dec 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1801783)   #26
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if I were an LMS team I would not want to add two more months to a season that starts in March with the P Ricard test and yet has just 6 events, it is not a full season but takes all year
Old 30 Dec 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1801794)   #27
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it does happen, and I hope it will, it will be good for the series to spread its wings a bit and may even be the first step in a true World LM Prototype series that should also include Asia.

Its strange that now logistics are one of the hurdles being cited as a problem. 35 years ago the season stared at Buenos Aires in Jan before moving to Daytona and then Sebring before coming back to Europe in the Spring. All the Major teams JW, Autodelta, Martini packed up their 917's 512's and 33t's etc and shifted the kit halfway round the world.

Thats progress I guess!

The draw then was, I guess, the 2 US races that followed, Daytona and Sebring. Maybe sometime in the near future we will be looking forward to that type of situation again.

One world series with regional feeder series is going to be my new years wish. (that and a personal wealth to rival Bill Gates!)
Old 30 Dec 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1801801)   #28
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to get a feel of original event look at these! I wonder if the LMs will be able to capture the same vibe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKG0EjRJzMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_pRj0afw_Q

The crowd in the 2006 event looks pretty thin on the ground but they seem to have proper fueling rigs, not a funnel in sight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_rbxsf9YUw

2006 again, the pace car looks like a indycar!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UXDopZJck
2006 again, this time a local news report.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1801879)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
I think if I were an LMS team I would not want to add two more months to a season that starts in March with the P Ricard test and yet has just 6 events, it is not a full season but takes all year
But how many would also go to Laguna or PLM or FIA GT's etc.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1801904)   #30
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Does the LMS taking over the Mil Milhas mean that FIA GT is out? Or could we possibly see FIA GT including the GT classes as a round in the championship?

Especially with how the ACO and SRO seem to have a new agreement between each other.
Hey there 359. Been a while. Welcome to Ten Tenths.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1801942)   #31
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well they could do PLM(auto qualifier for LM) and possibly Laguna. Then do the Mil Millas de Interlagos.
Or do you prefer only 5 races a year??

L.P.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1802181)   #32
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Nordic]to get a feel of original event look at these! I wonder if the LMs will be able to capture the same vibe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKG0EjRJzMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_pRj0afw_Q

The crowd in the 2006 event looks pretty thin on the ground but they seem to have proper fueling rigs, not a funnel in sight![QUOTE]

You saw Capuava's DTM car pit. Prior to his passing, he was probably one of the richest men in Brazil. Looking down the pitlane, I did not see many fuel gantries--or do I need new glasses. The top teams will have the right kit. The owner of Capuava (sadly he is no longer with us) had his own race track at his country home and could have easily bought the entire LMS grid from one month's interest income.

If you go lower down the grid, there are funnels, cut-off water cans etc etc.

If the story proves correct, unless there is a funding package (start money, finish money, success money) in addition to the transport budget, the strains on budgets will be even greater if this race is to be an LMS 'round'.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1802905)   #33
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Well they could do PLM(auto qualifier for LM) and possibly Laguna. Then do the Mil Millas de Interlagos.
Or do you prefer only 5 races a year??

L.P.
I would personally prefer (I think I have said this before) one real World series that took in Daytona, Sebring, Spa 24, LM24 and a selection of 1000km events that migh include PLM but then I am a dreamer!!! Don't you think we have too many series?
Old 1 Jan 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1802940)   #34
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are going to do a world series, then they may as well go the whole hog and do a world championship. Although that would open the door far and wide to the 'sticky fingered' FIA, if their interference could be controlled (which I am not certain), then there would be more manufacturer interest. The problem is that the FIA are so F1 biassed, can they be supportive to the sportscar 'cause'--or at the very least, not interfere like they did with Group C--in order to kill it stone dead.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 22:32 (Ref:1803042)   #35
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I would personally prefer (I think I have said this before) one real World series that took in Daytona, Sebring, Spa 24, LM24 and a selection of 1000km events that migh include PLM but then I am a dreamer!!! Don't you think we have too many series?
1) Dreaming. YES

2) Short answer YES!
But I also think that the Regional( continental ) format is a good thing as it helps promote a larger and more solid fan base. But a little inter-mixing besides LeMans would be good also. I also think that Sports Car / GT racing would be better served if they were merged more on the regional levels! But that is dreaming also!!

L.P.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1803280)   #36
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
If they are going to do a world series, then they may as well go the whole hog and do a world championship. Although that would open the door far and wide to the 'sticky fingered' FIA, if their interference could be controlled (which I am not certain), then there would be more manufacturer interest. The problem is that the FIA are so F1 biassed, can they be supportive to the sportscar 'cause'--or at the very least, not interfere like they did with Group C--in order to kill it stone dead.
Much as I may not wish to admit it I think there is something in this as the money earning capacity developed by Bernie for the FIA as well as himself and his colleagues is central to the whole of the pattern of world motor sport. The link between Bernie and Mr Mosley is very old and very strong and only the manufacturers as a combined body could really challange that. Sports/GT has to live off the scraps I suppose but there should be enough to give us a good world structure if handled correctly.

The regional nature I agree is fine Horndawg, we should perhaps consider it to be a set of qualification series leading to entry to a "Grand Final" showdown at LM in June with the winners in each class being declared "World Champions"

Last edited by old man; 2 Jan 2007 at 10:35.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1803441)   #37
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea this "exotic"(for us Europeans)event included in LMES series
Old 4 Jan 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1806550)   #38
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any final updates on this one or is it still coking???
Old 4 Jan 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1806591)   #39
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12
Good idea this "exotic"(for us Europeans)event included in LMES series
I agree. Also with the timing it would be nice to see some of the ALMS teams make the trip also!!

L.P.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1809424)   #40
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new piece from DSC suggests that the race is close to being finalised. The race will be over 1000miles rather than the LMS standxard of 1000km so the Mil Milhas name could stay. Apparently all travel costs will be covered by organisers with cars and equipment being shipped over by sea and teams given 6 return flights for personel. Any teams planning to attend the Petit Le Mans will have their shipping and travel paid from Atlanta to Sao Paolo and back to Europe.
Good news then. The main stumbling block seems to have been removed.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:05 (Ref:1809438)   #41
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranald
That's a huge financial commitment. It'll be interesting to see what sort of take-up there is from the teams and to hear a few reactions from team owners/principals.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1809471)   #42
old man
Veteran

England
UK
I agree it is a very big investment for them but with no start money it is still an extra to the original budget, what are they saying to the tyre companies or will the teams take a supply in their container?
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:33 (Ref:1809477)   #43
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How many pit spaces are there at Interlagos ?

Wonder if a couple of ALMS teams might wander down for the event . Be nice to see some of them competing in the LMS for a change to compliment the LMS teams that do some ALMS . But pit places might dictate otherwise .
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:52 (Ref:1809493)   #44
canam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranald
A new piece from DSC suggests that the race is close to being finalised. The race will be over 1000miles rather than the LMS standxard of 1000km so the Mil Milhas name could stay. Apparently all travel costs will be covered by organisers with cars and equipment being shipped over by sea and teams given 6 return flights for personel. Any teams planning to attend the Petit Le Mans will have their shipping and travel paid from Atlanta to Sao Paolo and back to Europe.
This support is petty pathetic. 6 return flights leaves 3-4 for crew members--which is wholly inadequate (depending on the number of drivers). Realistically, you need closer to 10 flights.

This cost 'haircut' if you go to PLM will reduce the interest that European teams will have in coming over to do PLM as well. There is also a premium cost for shipping tyres to Brazil (20-30%) as well as a rocketing of insurance costs and this is not catered for. Additionally, there is the cost of running the car for the extra race that did not form part of the orginal calendar. ...and who is to pay for all of this??? the TEAMS. Yes, those same folk who struggle to come to the USA where everything is cheaper than going to Brazil. No start money. No finish money. No success money. ...and they will probably charge the teams for the additional race.

What the teams have to suffer to give Ratel a 'get out of jail free card' is just ridiculous. I say stuff it back to FIAGT.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1809498)   #45
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Additionally, there is the cost of running the car for the extra race that did not form part of the orginal calendar. ...and who is to pay for all of this??? .
As far as i know , a 6 series calendar was always planned for 2007 ?

Does the ALMS offer any travel money for LMS to compete in Sebring or PLM ?
Old 8 Jan 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1809513)   #46
canam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
As far as i know , a 6 series calendar was always planned for 2007 ?

Does the ALMS offer any travel money for LMS to compete in Sebring or PLM ?
The 2007 LMS season was stated to be a five race season (see: www.lmes.org).

In terms of ALMS, perhaps Scott Atherton should get DHL to freight some European cars over and kill off Brazil.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1809530)   #47
canam
Veteran

Addtionally, it is indicated that the spares allowance is going to be between 10 and 15 cubic metres.

Well, one set of wheels is roughly 1.25 cubic metres. Fuel rig base is roughly 2 cubic metres. So....six set of wheels, the fuel rig and a couple of toolboxes leaves enough space for a toothbrush and a copy of the supplementary regulations. what about air bottles, lines,,fuel lines, spare mechanical parts, spare bodywork, radios, trolleys, jacks, etc etc. etc.

Like everything else associated with this race, this is just a token gesture prior to a good solid shafting of all the teams.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 13:42 (Ref:1809608)   #48
The Badger
Veteran

Im sure air bottles and such consumables can be locally sourced .
Old 8 Jan 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1809711)   #49
old man
Veteran

England
UK
More expense to source locally and whilst most things are available in Brazil you need to have a reliable source if you only get there a few days before the race.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1809762)   #50
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
In terms of ALMS, perhaps Scott Atherton should get DHL to freight some European cars over and kill off Brazil.
That would be a very slick move.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James