Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Sep 2018, 23:35 (Ref:3847489)   #5901
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
My question is: Does the Class One tub allow body designs like the Valkyrie or the Toyota GR Super Sport?
The Vulcan should be pretty easy to do with the Class One chassis. The Toyota might not be able to be done perfectly, but a decent approximation should be possible. (keep in mind that the bare Class One chassis is narrower than it looks)

Quote:
Perhaps the use of the Class One tub could be allowed but it should not be mandatory as it happens in GT 300 where the MC can be used or not.
Interestingly, my friend brought up that the next generation of LMP2 should use the actual GT300 MC in a similar arrangement to using the Class One tub for LMP1. To be fair, the MC Evora certainly looks like a prototype;

Old 2 Sep 2018, 01:35 (Ref:3847501)   #5902
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Remember there is no indication that the eventual car will have to perfectly resemble a road model. It can just be 'brand identification'. So for example the TS060 would 'look like' a Toyota even though there is no actual road car model that resembles it. It will remain a prototype car.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 03:41 (Ref:3847512)   #5903
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
True. It'd be easier to do that then make a road car to race. But with cars like the Valkyrie they're already pretty close to the race cars. I guess we'll see. I hope Aston Martin is going to enter and run something close to the Valkyrie. The Toyota car looks like it has an lmp1 chassis already and is wrapped in a more road car like body.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3847545)   #5904
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excuse my lack of knowledge on SuperGT, but did I see a headline about a manufacturer (I think Honda?) not being happy with the new chassis? Or did I imagine that?
Old 2 Sep 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3847572)   #5905
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Excuse my lack of knowledge on SuperGT, but did I see a headline about a manufacturer (I think Honda?) not being happy with the new chassis? Or did I imagine that?
Probably not imagining it. I can't find any recent news saying such, but Honda had some issues early on with their car using the current chassis when it was new, and I'm sure "unhappy" would be an adequate description of their initial attitude.

While Honda has subsequently proven that the chassis can be used to make a competitive mid-engined car, when it was first brought about they struggled quite a bit to make it work. They still won on occasions if circumstances lined up, but they were not consistently competitive for the first couple years - based on win rate, you could say they've never been terribly competitive at all under the new rules, but the Hondas do challenge for wins and podiums a lot more than they did in 2014-15.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3847575)   #5906
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the issue is front v rear engined, then I guess that's a non-issue for the ACO as they'd just force a rear engined prototype.

However, to be honest I don't see them using this chassis. It's logically correct from what I can see, but ACO doesn't like using ideas from other organisations. It took them a long time to accept GT3, and even then they demoted it to LM Cup and don't support it as much as they could.

Good idea, but ACO likes to blaze it's own trails, rather than follow in the footsteps. Which is admirable, but not always successful.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3847577)   #5907
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Some people claim the new hypercar rules are a copy of DPi though
Old 2 Sep 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3847579)   #5908
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
And of course DPi is just built off of the ACO base anyway Full circle.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3847701)   #5909
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If the issue is front v rear engined, then I guess that's a non-issue for the ACO as they'd just force a rear engined prototype.

If they force roadcar-derived styling, I actually don't think they will. But regardless the fact that Honda makes it work at all shows that it doesn't really matter - competent designers would still make it work. Besides, there are otehr design restrictions in DTM/SGT that could be giving Honda the trouble they've had.

Quote:
However, to be honest I don't see them using this chassis. It's logically correct from what I can see, but ACO doesn't like using ideas from other organisations. It took them a long time to accept GT3, and even then they demoted it to LM Cup and don't support it as much as they could.

Completely agree. Love the idea, don't think they'll do it. They're more likely to unshackle GTE to not have to converge with GT3 than do something as monumentally intelligent as this.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3850151)   #5910
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Autosport has a story up about BMW joining in the hypercar talks. It also says the reports of Ford and Ferrari leaving are erroneous. That shouldn't surprise a few here. I wonder what comes of this. I think BMW wants to run a fuel cell and the article speaks to that, but it's even further off than these new rules.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3850483)   #5911
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Autosport has a story up about BMW joining in the hypercar talks. It also says the reports of Ford and Ferrari leaving are erroneous. That shouldn't surprise a few here. I wonder what comes of this. I think BMW wants to run a fuel cell and the article speaks to that, but it's even further off than these new rules.
in the Ferrari chat are speculating with a special Fxx k Evo testing in Fiorano.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...iorano.584749/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te09gHHswHY
Old 16 Sep 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3850686)   #5912
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or more likely is just the FXX-K Evo package as is their history with the Clienti Corsa program. That's almost Dagys level car plus new regs plus testing equals they've committed to making a car. Come back when the regs are established and the dimensions of a road car are the basis of the racer. Quite frankly doubt they'll run that size. They will end up looking like a fat guy sat on the clay model, short, wide and ugly as a they can be
Old 16 Sep 2018, 21:44 (Ref:3850836)   #5913
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Or more likely is just the FXX-K Evo package as is their history with the Clienti Corsa program. That's almost Dagys level car plus new regs plus testing equals they've committed to making a car. Come back when the regs are established and the dimensions of a road car are the basis of the racer. Quite frankly doubt they'll run that size. They will end up looking like a fat guy sat on the clay model, short, wide and ugly as a they can be
You ever see a LaFerrari in the flesh before? I have and the car is very low and quite small. Almost makes the other Ferrari's seem like a family car. That doesn't mean that they will use it for a lmp/gtp though, I agree.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3850900)   #5914
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Remember the previous FXX test mule from 2013? It still remains a bit of a mystery.

In 2013 there was this video and then some spy pics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3H6Jxisfk
https://i.imgur.com/H15EEnP.jpg

In the museum at Maranello? they say it was a test mule for FXX K and for "hypothetical enclosed wheel car championships". They also claim it has a V12 engine, but the engine in that video above certainly is not a V12 (sounds like the F1 V6).
https://i.imgur.com/iQZgFw8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0ttYKuA.jpg
Old 17 Sep 2018, 04:04 (Ref:3850921)   #5915
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Remember the previous FXX test mule from 2013? It still remains a bit of a mystery.

In 2013 there was this video and then some spy pics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3H6Jxisfk
https://i.imgur.com/H15EEnP.jpg

In the museum at Maranello? they say it was a test mule for FXX K and for "hypothetical enclosed wheel car championships". They also claim it has a V12 engine, but the engine in that video above certainly is not a V12 (sounds like the F1 V6).
https://i.imgur.com/iQZgFw8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0ttYKuA.jpg
Autosprint speculated with a V8 turbo hybrid at that time as well.
http://autosprint.corrieredellosport..._il_prototipo_
The prototype was a longer Laferrari with longer wheelbase and with a trunk similar to a 458 GTE at that time.
Anyway at that time a car in the form of hypercar would not have been competitive and now with future rules is to be assumed that yes.
Old 18 Sep 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3851285)   #5916
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That FXX K is not hanging around through that long curve at the start of the video! Call me old fashioned, but I love a bit of wild prototype based speculation.

The BMW fuel cell thing has been going around for years. I remember hearing that they wanted to come to the current generation of LMP1 with a fuel cell ages ago, probably on here!
Old 18 Sep 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3851307)   #5917
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
You ever see a LaFerrari in the flesh before? I have and the car is very low and quite small. Almost makes the other Ferrari's seem like a family car. That doesn't mean that they will use it for a lmp/gtp though, I agree.
Yup, for pretty much an entire day with the new FXX-K that's based on with it. Next to each other it actually makes the FXX (Enzo) seem flattened, and it was close in size to the 599XX. And sounded terrible but that's 2 V12s (and F1 cars) to make it sound the worst of the day.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3851735)   #5918
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Daily Sportscar article...

Aston Martin Reveals All New Project ‘003’ Hypercar
Old 21 Sep 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3851851)   #5919
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
My favorite part of the article is this quote:

Quote:
“It was always the intention for the Aston Martin Valkyrie to be a once-in-a lifetime project,” said Aston Martin Lagonda President and Group Chief Executive, Andy Palmer.
But we've gone and a second in a lifetime version, and we will be working on a 3rd in a lifetime version.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3851856)   #5920
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
How dare you question the almighty directors of Aston Martin? Course they keep thinking Lagonda is a line of cars that won't kill their momentum, oh wait hasn't it done that before?
Old 25 Sep 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3852637)   #5921
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
BMW Motorsport director Jens Marquardt says more “clarity” is needed on the FIA and ACO’s ‘Hypercar’ regulations amid tight deadlines for manufacturers looking to commit to the new top-level prototype platform.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...hypercar-regs/

A decision on a McLaren ‘Hypercar’ program will come by early next year according to McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown, who has continued to give high praise to the FIA and ACO’s new top class formula.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...rly-next-year/
Old 26 Sep 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3852783)   #5922
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a worrying number of people that seem to think that Company X making a hypercar (car faster than a supercar) means that they are making a hypercar (LMP1 thingy for Le Mans).

I can't possibly imagine why that could be confusing.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3852788)   #5923
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Related, so many people seem to think a car for this class needs to be based on a road car. In that regard the 'hypercar' name is dreadful.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3852792)   #5924
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On that, I do agree. Pure hype.....
Old 9 Oct 2018, 18:45 (Ref:3855735)   #5925
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/1...gulations.html

Whilst more detail on the timeline and specific content of the ‘Hypercar’ regs are expected shortly, Fillon again talked of current discussions with ‘five or six’ manufacturers over the regulations and showed a new concept drawing again emphasising the road car styling cues likely to feature in the new manufacturer-led category.

Beyond that there was more detail of the work now underway on the zero-emissions project, Fillon revealing that five manufacturers are currently working with the ACO (plus an undisclosed number of equipment/ component suppliers) to define the 2024 regulatory framework.