Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Aug 2018, 07:44 (Ref:3845925)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Aug 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3845926)   #27
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the NZ touring car Championship rolls on

Tough break for Tander though.

Love him or hate him, Courtney had a very good race considering his qualifying, they obviously found a lot in the garage between qualifying and the race.

Winter bottom seemed to pull one out of the bag, finally.

Simon 23rd, so nothing new there, despite all the "new track, equal playing field hype".

Whincup is pretty dirty after the race. Not used to being the guy that has to stack, shoe's on the other foot now son, suck it up

Last edited by JAFA851; 25 Aug 2018 at 08:05.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 01:45 (Ref:3846076)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Nice to see Tickford continuing their tradition of engineering speed out of the car between Saturday & Sunday
Old 26 Aug 2018, 03:41 (Ref:3846082)   #29
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Best of luck to your family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Oh dear! Hopefully, it all has a positive outcome
Thanks guys. Got some good news, surgery wasn't as invasive as first thought. Can happily say my old man is now cancer free!
Old 26 Aug 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3846091)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

And we have a new championship leader...
Old 26 Aug 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3846098)   #31
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Thanks guys. Got some good news, surgery wasn't as invasive as first thought. Can happily say my old man is now cancer free!
Good to hear
Old 26 Aug 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3846100)   #32
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Fantastic news for you and your family - pleased to hear it.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3846122)   #33
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Good to hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Fantastic news for you and your family - pleased to hear it.
Thanks guys!
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3846171)   #34
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Great News Razor, best of luck to all.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3846173)   #35
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO was it just me or did you all feel similar in saying, rather boring race weekend.

Great for no one knowing a new track and its limits but the racing itself seemed like a F1 procession to me.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 21:01 (Ref:3846399)   #36
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching on TV I thought both races were BORING BORING.

The telecast was very poor. It was often hard to work out where cars were, and frequently only one car on screen.

I’d love to hear from spectators who were there.

I think the place is a waste of money. A much smaller circuit would have been better.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3846401)   #37
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that's the first round this season where i got bored.

i don't think supercars, or most race cars really, work on modernized technical circuits where the main challenge is the track but the track itself isn't that interesting. passing at the top of bathurst isn't easy either but the track up top there is really interesting to watch

sandown next though and it's an awesome quirky track that has good racing
Old 26 Aug 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3846406)   #38
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one word

BORING
Old 26 Aug 2018, 22:24 (Ref:3846411)   #39
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The facilities look impressive.

Hopefully they'll build a decent race track around them one day.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 22:49 (Ref:3846417)   #40
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a lot made of the 18 corners - three times that of Qld Raceway said Skaife ! (he is good), but did it provide three times the racing, three times the entertainment - it certainly seemed to provide three times the engineering & driver challenge.

It should only take around 5 years for the asphalt surface to oxidise enough to counteract the sand - need to give it time to age a little.

It also appears the pit entry/exit were not properly modelled to make them safe - diverge and merge speeds with the racing line should be the same.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 22:55 (Ref:3846420)   #41
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
All that track did was highlight how over governing and control has ****ed up what was a good series - Parity smarity

It also highlighted how 'they' (read: 'race control') couldn't control the outcome, i.e. "a sprint to the end" - no safety cars to bunch them up etc
Old 26 Aug 2018, 22:58 (Ref:3846423)   #42
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure they looked very hard and long at that driveshaft, hoping it would roll on to the track and provide the excuse to "manage" the racing.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 23:49 (Ref:3846432)   #43
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
I am sure they looked very hard and long at that driveshaft, hoping it would roll on to the track and provide the excuse to "manage" the racing.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3846448)   #44
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there all 3 days and have to agree the V8 races were a bit ho-hum.
But you get that in racing, not all races are going to be edge of your seat excitement.
Unfortunately for Ford fans, the weekend was about chasing 888 and failing.

Parity can't be totally to blame, because Saturdays 20lap Porsche race was fantastic to watch.
FF put on a good show too.

The place needs a little more shade around the place. Trees will assist with the dust issue also. There are some long walks across rough terrain which I'm sure will be addressed in time. I was concerned for some of the older folks with the walking, maybe some temporary seating would have helped to give people places to rest as they make their way to their destination.
Wind was crisp but the sun was warm. More toilet facilities required I think. I spent a bit of time Friday on the mound at T14/15/16 which was a decent viewing spot but no toilet close by (this was where the biggest bar was too ironically). With large grids spreading out throughout the race, you could look across at the run between T13 and 14 and behind see cars racing between T5 and 6, then behind that you could see them between T6 and 7 and then further back again moving between 9 and 10.
With GA tickets I had no access to the building so will have to return on a "lesser" weekend for a look, but I comfortably watched Sundays qualifying from behind the RedBull pit bays (my son was standing close by doing the same with DJR garage) and was impressed with the garage sizes and access. Further back from the track, other categories also seemed to be looked after well with good sized permanent garages and plenty of room to move about.
Overall an impressive place, I look forward to watching it continue to develop.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 05:59 (Ref:3846456)   #45
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
I was there all 3 days and have to agree the V8 races were a bit ho-hum...
Main issue is that Dunlop went too conservative with their tyre choice and ran the hard compound rather than the Super-Soft option so there was next to no tyre wear and teams were struggling for grip.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3846476)   #46
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was there all 3 days and have to agree the V8 races were a bit ho-hum.
But you get that in racing, not all races are going to be edge of your seat excitement.
Unfortunately for Ford fans, the weekend was about chasing 888 and failing.

Parity can't be totally to blame, because Saturdays 20lap Porsche race was fantastic to watch.
FF put on a good show too.

The place needs a little more shade around the place. Trees will assist with the dust issue also. There are some long walks across rough terrain which I'm sure will be addressed in time. I was concerned for some of the older folks with the walking, maybe some temporary seating would have helped to give people places to rest as they make their way to their destination.
Wind was crisp but the sun was warm. More toilet facilities required I think. I spent a bit of time Friday on the mound at T14/15/16 which was a decent viewing spot but no toilet close by (this was where the biggest bar was too ironically). With large grids spreading out throughout the race, you could look across at the run between T13 and 14 and behind see cars racing between T5 and 6, then behind that you could see them between T6 and 7 and then further back again moving between 9 and 10.
With GA tickets I had no access to the building so will have to return on a "lesser" weekend for a look, but I comfortably watched Sundays qualifying from behind the RedBull pit bays (my son was standing close by doing the same with DJR garage) and was impressed with the garage sizes and access. Further back from the track, other categories also seemed to be looked after well with good sized permanent garages and plenty of room to move about.
Overall an impressive place, I look forward to watching it continue to develop.
I was there all three days as well and quite enjoyed the weekend.

Fantastic facility and the support classes provided some great racing.

Perhaps a reminder to Australian Motor Sport fans that racing exists outside of Supercars!

Probably the place needs a bit of fine tuning to appeal to trackside fans. More big screens, higher spectator mounds etc.

Year two (of Supercars) will provide a better test when we see how many fans return, curiosity would have been a factor this year.

Apparently it took some time to get out of the car parks but once on the Highway traffic moved OK.

Overall though an 8 out 10
Old 27 Aug 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3846500)   #47
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It also highlighted how 'they' (read: 'race control') couldn't control the outcome, i.e. "a sprint to the end" - no safety cars to bunch them up etc
this is my favourite tinfoil hat supercars theory, and it's so argument proof

A) if debris or a crash causes a late safety car, the theory is correct
B) if there is no safety car, it's the exception that proves the theory is correct
Old 27 Aug 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3846583)   #48
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Mate, I have worn the same headset as race control, you can call it a tinfoil hat theory if you want . I have heard Schenken first hand
Old 28 Aug 2018, 01:16 (Ref:3846628)   #49
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah the TB 2019 round will be interesting to see the sites development progress and the number of fans that return. Comparing it to SA's CBD race, I thought there was a real difference in the attitude of the people attending, mainly less people on the **** and more interest in how teams and categories tackle a new track. (in short, more people interested in the motorsport, rather than the event)

Getting in and out of the track was quite easy for us for 2 of 3 days. Its a little slow in the carpark when leaving but once you were on the highway and reached the 80kmh section it was business as usual.
Except for Sunday after V8s last race. We were stuck for 40 minutes in the one spot watching all other lines moving. We had the Territory so I eventually followed the lead of other 4WDs and hit the dirt until I reached the highway intersection 3 minutes later. Maybe a few more officials required to keep ALL lines moving next time.
Was a great family weekend, I'm glad I made the effort.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 03:07 (Ref:3846645)   #50
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah the TB 2019 round will be interesting to see the sites development progress and the number of fans that return. Comparing it to SA's CBD race, I thought there was a real difference in the attitude of the people attending, mainly less people on the **** and more interest in how teams and categories tackle a new track. (in short, more people interested in the motorsport, rather than the event)

Getting in and out of the track was quite easy for us for 2 of 3 days. Its a little slow in the carpark when leaving but once you were on the highway and reached the 80kmh section it was business as usual.
Except for Sunday after V8s last race. We were stuck for 40 minutes in the one spot watching all other lines moving. We had the Territory so I eventually followed the lead of other 4WDs and hit the dirt until I reached the highway intersection 3 minutes later. Maybe a few more officials required to keep ALL lines moving next time.
Was a great family weekend, I'm glad I made the effort.
Should have hung around to watch the support races which were on after the V8 race. That was ,I assume, designed to lessen the chance of everybody heading out as soon as the V8 race was over. FF was the last race and the open wheel category provided great racing over the weekend, worth staying for.