Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jun 2003, 01:38 (Ref:646683)   #1
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mechanical Sympathy

It never ceases to amaze me the total lack of mechanical sympathy displayed by many of the current V8 Supercar drivers.

They just keep driving them until they are absolutely r$%ted.

Dumbrell in Race Three was a fine example. Surely Dumbrell would have received some indication via his dash readout that his car may have been overheating after he did his usual trick and slugged someone up the a#$e. Do these blokes even look at a gauge?

I've been involved with teams that use data acquisition system and Motec/PI Dashes etc. and you can configure these units to give you plenty of warning when something under the bonnet is going awry.

With Larry being one of the main parties complaining about the rising costs of running these cars in recent years, I'm sure he'd be absolutely rapt with Dumbrell's fine effort on the weekend. Instead of having to replace a radiator or oil cooler and a few panels, poor old Larry is probably up for a set of pistons, rods, bearings, block, cylinder head damage etc. Nice work mate.

Whincup in Race Two was another beauty. Instead of gently bringing it to a halt after he bounced it off the bank, this clown continues to drive the car around the circuit dragging the underside along the ground, probably further damaging the car he'd already stuffed. Nice. Another upstart with no clue.

Maybe this is now the done thing. Drive 'em till they stop. Perhaps team owners are stoked that their young chargers are such "racers" with never say die attitudes even when their car is terminally ill and falling to bits around them.

CD.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 04:46 (Ref:646749)   #2
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall DJ talking about this, saying that in the days of owner/drivers they were quite aware of the costs so drove accordingly, in todays environment of hired young jockies, they just drive the ******** of them with as much care although I bet Jnr has to keep it a bit straighter than most
Old 30 Jun 2003, 04:51 (Ref:646750)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glenn Seton never went totally over the limits on purpose, presumably to conserve the machinery.....

The notable exception to this rule is Wayne Gardner, who started up a battering ram service... see how many cars he could thump dump and jump in a single meeting

And I reckon Dumbrell is on his way out at CPR...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Jun 2003, 05:35 (Ref:646759)   #4
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I was standing adjacent to the SBR pit in barbagallo which was next to the CPR pit I was amazed at the bad attitude displayed toward Dumbrell when he beached it for the 4th time. If the attitude of those reponsible for keeping it on the black stuff is anything to go by you may well be right GTR.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 06:35 (Ref:646774)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having the #10 people say on the coverage yesterday that LP has confiscated Dumbrell's mobile phone because it was a distraction to the racing is not quite conducive to a nurturing, comfortable environment for Dumbrell is it

Did anyone else notice that when LP told RPM that Tomas Mezera was signed for the team, that it wasnt actually said that he would be running with Dumbrell?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Jun 2003, 06:51 (Ref:646786)   #6
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also thought that a little curious, at this stage who would be his likely replacement though, are there any other contracted Holden guys available from another team that might switch. The mind boggles
Old 30 Jun 2003, 07:14 (Ref:646808)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
There are always people available, the question is whether LP would be bothered, or just drag an old race suit out of the cupboard and have a go himself.....

Tomas Mezera is largely unused too, with advanced driver training and the CupCar DSO work not withstanding....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Jun 2003, 07:49 (Ref:646832)   #8
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if anyone will offer Crompton a drive this year ?
He's very quick and consistent at Bathurst and I was wondering yesterday what his plans would be.Dumbrell has gone from the goldenboy to the black sheep hasn't he. Larry was singing his praises at first. Good ole Tomas is a safe bet for a number 2 car IMO.
Congrats to Forbesy, only 1 spin yesterday!
Unbelieveable!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 08:01 (Ref:646852)   #9
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Having the #10 people say on the coverage yesterday that LP has confiscated Dumbrell's mobile phone because it was a distraction to the racing is not quite conducive to a nurturing, comfortable environment for Dumbrell is it
?
Maybe LP swapped it for a Playstation 2 with the V8Supercars game?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 08:10 (Ref:646862)   #10
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Jones
Dumbrell has gone from the goldenboy to the black sheep hasn't he. Larry was singing his praises at first.
Cheap,like dirt cheap drivers are alway popular untill you start paying their expense account.

Did the guys look as pleased as the GMS guys did when his canoe used to return to the pits minus a few wheels and with fliud leaking out of the difuser,or were they like the jovial bunch at Faulkners when he wrote off his near new fully imported Monte Carlo half way round lap one ,1st race agp in 2000

Last edited by Onlooker; 30 Jun 2003 at 08:13.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 08:14 (Ref:646866)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Well once the last cheque clears, there is no more money coming in, so the leverage against the paydriver is substantially diminished.... It wouldnt be impossible to see Dumbrell "rested" in Qld, given that its Tomas Mezera's home track....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Jun 2003, 08:44 (Ref:646899)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the lack of mechanical sympathy of the younger drivers is due to the fact that they've never had to pay for or prepare a car, when they're in the junior categories their parents are usually footing the bill & then they get signed by a V8 team & have their boss repair it for them time & time again.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:08 (Ref:647162)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Half the problem is that the cars are pretty bullitproof these days.

Give them a standard gearbox and brakes, and that will sort them out....
Old 1 Jul 2003, 10:34 (Ref:648165)   #14
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
I think the lack of mechanical sympathy of the younger drivers is due to the fact that they've never had to pay for or prepare a car, when they're in the junior categories their parents are usually footing the bill & then they get signed by a V8 team & have their boss repair it for them time & time again.
The truth hurts sometimes but it can be good to hear it now and again.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 11:34 (Ref:649478)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

AA's editorial for the week mentions the virtues of sequential gearboxes to eliminate the type of error that cost Skaife the weekend and keep rookies who hurt the engine and drveline through missed shifts out of trouble with their bosses and bean counters.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Make it harder not "easier" (not that it ever could be).

H pattern gearboxes are sadly a dying breed in top levels of the sport so any proposals to remove them should be resisted, IMO.

Last edited by Mattracer; 2 Jul 2003 at 11:36.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 3 Jul 2003, 08:15 (Ref:650501)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Jetsetter's last comment and i remember Glenn Seton saying exactly the same thing years ago.

I have no sponsorship and pay all of my own bills and believe me it affects the way i drive.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 13:47 (Ref:650909)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Telly

I may be a little thick (alright settle down) but isn't this all about TV time these days. Why would you want to have brilliant mechanical sympathy nursing an ailing car home against all the odds when if you go out in spectacular fashion and maybe take some others with you - guess what?

The cameras are all over you like a rash!

Often to the great annoyance and frustration of the fans trying to follow the race progress!!

Think I'll go and lie down now....
Old 4 Jul 2003, 10:37 (Ref:651866)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

I see your point but the cameras are on you for all the wrong reasons after the "enthusiastic, and supremely-talented but erratic, soon-to-be-mentored by <insert public icon no.1 here> young turk" has used up his allowance of tolerable rookie mistakes and has to start finishing races, and well up in the field, for the good of the sponsor's dough.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Jul 2003, 13:41 (Ref:652303)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully they never go to sequential gear boxes, the way they're going they'll take all the skill out of the sport.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 23:28 (Ref:652953)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
I see your point but the cameras are on you for all the wrong reasons after the "enthusiastic, and supremely-talented but erratic, soon-to-be-mentored by <insert public icon no.1 here> young turk" has used up his allowance of tolerable rookie mistakes and has to start finishing races, and well up in the field, for the good of the sponsor's dough.
Ummm....yeah...whatever HE said!!