Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 8 Oct 2003, 22:23 (Ref:744573)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Homestead

If the points race tightens up a little bit more Homestead should be a wing-dinger of a race. The track supposedly is coming along very nice and the new banking is going to make it fast. They have completed 2 layers and have one more to do. They are designing it so that you can race 3 wide.

They have been talking with Rusty Wallace during the design and construction of the new surface and have used computer models as well. Rusty stated that you will be able to go 210 mph in the turns.....hope he was just joking.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 04:12 (Ref:744757)   #2
24thunder
Veteran

24thunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope He was joking also,NASCAR doesn't want the cars going over 200 MPH for long,if this turms out to be the case,it'll become another plate race,oh brother that's all We need.

Last edited by 24thunder; 9 Oct 2003 at 04:13.
#24,1995,1997,1998,2001 Champion,1991 Busch ROTY,1993 Nextel Cup ROTY,3 Daytona 500 victories,5 Southern 500 victories,4 time Brickyard 400 winner,3 Coca-Cola 600 wins,8 road course(record)victories!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 09:58 (Ref:744965)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lots of info and pictures on Homestead Speedway's own site; http://www.homesteadmiamispeedway.com/

A track similar to the old Atlanta can't be bad - unlike the last couple of years, this year I can't wait for the race at Homestead
Old 10 Oct 2003, 09:32 (Ref:746104)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am really glad they added the 20-degree banking in the turns. It is going to make the racing better but don't count on it this year or the next. It takes a couple of years to work in a second grove on a new track.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 10:00 (Ref:746120)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are hoping to get multiple grooves pretty fast, since the new layout utilizes a variable banking in the turns with 20 degrees at the top, 19 degrees in the middle and 18 degrees at the bottom
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:01 (Ref:750483)   #6
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's amazing how many changes Homestead has gone through in relatively short life. What started out as Mini-Indy, is now nothing of its former self.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:56 (Ref:760036)   #7
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Must get back there soon-had a great time there a few years ago with all the passes-great memories indeed and got some lovely shots of the great No3
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:59 (Ref:786097)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fan
I am really glad they added the 20-degree banking in the turns. It is going to make the racing better but don't count on it this year or the next. It takes a couple of years to work in a second grove on a new track.
Well, there was plenty of passing at Homestead and it was a very good race. It will only get better over the next several years.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 05:19 (Ref:786751)   #9
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, it looks like they might have finally gotten it right! The drivers certainly seemed to approve. All they need to do now is lay down some rubber so the tires don't go off so quickly.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 06:12 (Ref:786764)   #10
24thunder
Veteran

24thunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really liked the race also,except for too many tires going down and several bone-headed moves by a few drivers on a mainly new race surface,JMO.
There's talk that New Hampshire might also go the variable banking system as well,that would have to be an improvement
#24,1995,1997,1998,2001 Champion,1991 Busch ROTY,1993 Nextel Cup ROTY,3 Daytona 500 victories,5 Southern 500 victories,4 time Brickyard 400 winner,3 Coca-Cola 600 wins,8 road course(record)victories!
Old 18 Nov 2003, 15:48 (Ref:787224)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good race- trucks especially, but the problem i have is as good as the track has been made, the old homesttead flat track, i thought had more character. "one groove, no passing" well that was the nature of the track, and they could have tried a different line, i never saw any one diamond off a corner 'road race' style to gain a big speed advantage down one of the striaghts, not one driver ever did different things, it was flat and an oval , isn'r IMS flat? no troubles there, and a smaller place like martinsville is real flat ad that does well too, what give about homestead?
Old 23 Nov 2003, 03:51 (Ref:791837)   #12
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
good race- trucks especially, but the problem i have is as good as the track has been made, the old homesttead flat track, i thought had more character. "one groove, no passing" well that was the nature of the track, and they could have tried a different line, i never saw any one diamond off a corner 'road race' style to gain a big speed advantage down one of the striaghts, not one driver ever did different things, it was flat and an oval , isn'r IMS flat? no troubles there, and a smaller place like martinsville is real flat ad that does well too, what give about homestead?
I'm assuming that you are refering to the tires??
It was the newness of the asphalt that took the toll on the tires. It will improve with age.

Goodyear had a press conference- as they knew that the subject of tires was gonna be a hot one. Especially since Elliott went down & lost it on the last lap. But Evernham said it was a cut- from the previous blow engine. Took the heat off Goodyear- & Goodyear blamed the track.

- Next year- they are going back to the softer tire- & I think it will make for a return to some good racing. These boys are gonna have to learn how to baby them tires--None of this tires outlast the fuel deal- like we saw so much of this year. It's gonna seperate the men from the boys.