Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 11 Oct 2004, 14:28 (Ref:1121095)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony Lanfranchi

not sure if this is the right place for it but I see on the BRDC website that Tony has lost his fight against cancer. Not only a great driver in period but latterly a great stalwart of the historic scene, always driving his Lotus Cortina ten tenths and more importantly always had time to talk with "gentlemen drivers" like myself (I use the word advisedly!) as well as the great and good. He will be missed by us all.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1121122)   #2
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great tragedy I didn't know he had been ill. We have lost one of the great characters of club racing
Motor racings last cavalier was how he was described. A biography published in 78 "Down the Hatch" is a great tome and a reflection of how life should be lived! Or not depending on your moral viewpoint!
He actually said no to Enzo ferrari because he wouldn't send hom the air fare to Italy
RIP Mr Lanfranchi!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1121129)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Awful news, but not totally unexpected sadly. I think it's been about a year since I heard there was a problem.

I can heartily endorse Tony's book, "Down the Hatch", written with Mark Khan. The Lanfranchi story is every bit as outrageous as Gerry's, Innes' or Duncan Hamilton's, and is a cracking read.

Sadly missed, but the memories are cherished.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1121288)   #4
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what sad news.
i saw tony in the sixties as young spectator behind the fence at the nurburgring racing the nomad and met him again some years ago competing with him at brands, when he raced his cortina. i was lucky to have some old pictures from the ring in my luggage, including the nomad picture, showing him entering in the karussell. tony sighned this picture with the sentence:
great times, will never came again.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1122089)   #5
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news. My memories of Tony are far more recent than many unfortunately, the earliest being from the Willhire 24 hour races in the mid-eighties where he made an out-dated Opel Monza do things that it really shouldn't. His handling of the Lotus Cortina more recently was equally spectacular.
British Motorsport has lost one of its all time greats.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1122162)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible news but sadly not unexpected.
So many great memories and stories of 'Big Tone'.
I did the Brands school in '83. As chief instructor boy was he tough...but fair.
Memories of his Minis & Fraser Imps in the 60s, F5000 in the early days, F3 Merlyns, the prod saloon Moskvitch, AFN Porsche 928, the Konig Nomad, Mayfair Opel Commodore, Monorep Opels/Vauxhalls...many many more.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1122284)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Sad news, I knew he had been suffering sometime, condolancies to all concerned, especially his brother Peter, whom we raced with at Spa and Oulton this year. My Dads loosing his battle, and all too quickly so I know how he must feel, bloody terrible !
Old 13 Oct 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1123793)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tony helped my Dad out alot so my Father was naturally saddenned to hear this news, anyone know of any funeral arrangements?
Old 14 Oct 2004, 06:21 (Ref:1123943)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
contact the BRDC they should be able to help you
Old 14 Oct 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1124010)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very sad news indeed. A sorely missed competitor.

My condolences to Tony's family and friends.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1124411)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've heard he was buried on Tuesday with a memorial service to be held soon.