Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Jan 2021, 12:04 (Ref:4031465)   #1851
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea on the final PMR seat yet?
Old 27 Jan 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4031468)   #1852
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Any idea on the final PMR seat yet?
It's between those not signed yet, heard Proctor, Bobby Thompson (though one of those two signed to Excelr8 if the jungle drums are correct), Rick Parfitt Jnr etc. Adam Weaver openly saying they aren't rushing as they are only one of 2 Seats left, so can pick 'the best' from the free agents!
Old 27 Jan 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4031470)   #1853
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
He will be there. Along with Oliphant who has been posting on twitter about how good the bmw m5 was in the snow. Just wondering who will drive the 3rd car. Could be anyone.
I thought it was commonly accepted that Jelley would be in the 3rd car.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4031472)   #1854
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Hopefully Sam will put some effort and work to learn touring cars rather than just trying to rely on talent and expect to do okay this time.
Having seen him in F4 I’m not sure that relying on talent will take him too far.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 13:09 (Ref:4031480)   #1855
Daverb
Rookie

Daverb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the question of BTCC 2021 (if it happens) will be what did Sam smell?
Old 27 Jan 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4031481)   #1856
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's between those not signed yet, heard Proctor, Bobby Thompson (though one of those two signed to Excelr8 if the jungle drums are correct), Rick Parfitt Jnr etc. Adam Weaver openly saying they aren't rushing as they are only one of 2 Seats left, so can pick 'the best' from the free agents!
I’d be happy to see Bobby T at Excelr8 and Proctor at PMR. Plato and Proctor would be a strong pairing and Thompson got some good performances out of the Audi last year.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 13:46 (Ref:4031489)   #1857
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully not long before another announcement. Although it feels it bit weird without the Autosport International happening this month, we always look forward to announcements there
Old 27 Jan 2021, 14:02 (Ref:4031496)   #1858
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So are the two seats left at PMR and Excelr8? If they are, the remaining question marks on crmalcolm's list are probably Turkington at WSR and Hamilton at HARD. Senna Proctor is surely the best free agent remaining, unless PMR can bring back someone like Mat Jackson, Andrew Jordan or Sam Tordoff (but this is very unlikely). Then Bobby Thompson could be at Excelr8, which makes sense as he was at TPC last year. It could be the other way round with Proctor staying at Hyundai and Thompson going to PMR, but I think Proctor will leave Excelr8. I would love for Paul Rivett to get a full season in the Hyundai, but I can't see that happening.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4031499)   #1859
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
So are the two seats left at PMR and Excelr8? If they are, the remaining question marks on crmalcolm's list are probably Turkington at WSR and Hamilton at HARD. Senna Proctor is surely the best free agent remaining, unless PMR can bring back someone like Mat Jackson, Andrew Jordan or Sam Tordoff (but this is very unlikely). Then Bobby Thompson could be at Excelr8, which makes sense as he was at TPC last year. It could be the other way round with Proctor staying at Hyundai and Thompson going to PMR, but I think Proctor will leave Excelr8. I would love for Paul Rivett to get a full season in the Hyundai, but I can't see that happening.
The remaining seats are PMR & HARD, just not got the info on who's penned the Excelr8 deal.

Agreed I'd love to see Rivett get a full season, but don't think he's in the mix sadly.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 14:31 (Ref:4031501)   #1860
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope Mat Jackson gets the PMR seat. I was delighted to see him finally returning last season and was very disappointed that it couldn't happen in the end.

PMR said he would have first refusal on the seat this season, but sounds unlikely that it will happen, which is a crying shame.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 15:38 (Ref:4031510)   #1861
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
I really hope Mat Jackson gets the PMR seat. I was delighted to see him finally returning last season and was very disappointed that it couldn't happen in the end.

PMR said he would have first refusal on the seat this season, but sounds unlikely that it will happen, which is a crying shame.
Yeah it looks like it was the shortest BTCC return in history. Shame, I would've loved to have seen him whup Plato.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4031511)   #1862
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Mat was probably eager to come back and show he still has it and now sadly it looks like we’re never gonna see him in the series again
Old 27 Jan 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4031520)   #1863
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Counting two seasons of BGT too.
Simon bloody Cowell gets everywhere.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 18:10 (Ref:4031522)   #1864
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Hamilton back for another year, although doesn't say which team.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjshADARaC/
"So pleased to extend my partnership with @rokitofficial for 2021 onwards & to sign my #BTCC deal at the same time!"
Old 27 Jan 2021, 18:24 (Ref:4031524)   #1865
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The remaining seats are PMR & HARD, just not got the info on who's penned the Excelr8 deal.

Agreed I'd love to see Rivett get a full season, but don't think he's in the mix sadly.
I felt sure Nic Hamilton would be at Team HARD, but if Excelr8 have just signed someone, and Hamilton has just announced that he’s signed a deal, maybe that means Hamilton will be in a Hyundai.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 18:50 (Ref:4031532)   #1866
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Hamilton back for another year, although doesn't say which team.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjshADARaC/
"So pleased to extend my partnership with @rokitofficial for 2021 onwards & to sign my #BTCC deal at the same time!"
Another meh announcement...
Old 27 Jan 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4031537)   #1867
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Another meh announcement...
I'm pleased to see him.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4031540)   #1868
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
He's a very nice young man, is very humble and I am very happy he is continuing his motorsport adventure. My gut says with Tony, though I do not know - certainly the two have been talking.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4031546)   #1869
S griffin
Veteran

I guess the logical place for him would be HARD, but we’ll see
Old 27 Jan 2021, 20:12 (Ref:4031556)   #1870
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
He's a very nice young man, is very humble and I am very happy he is continuing his motorsport adventure. My gut says with Tony, though I do not know - certainly the two have been talking.
He's given it a go, good on him. But being brutally honest, this'll be his fourth year and I cannot see him troubling the points, or even the top 20. I know the car was awful last year, but he's out of his depth in the BTCC...

I apologise for being so pessimistic, but a line-up of Hamilton, Edwards, Crees, Butel, Smelt, Neate, etc, is hard to get excited about. In recent years it seems more backmarkers are staying and less promising rookies are stepping up.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 20:29 (Ref:4031560)   #1871
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I apologise for being so pessimistic, but a line-up of Hamilton, Edwards, Crees, Butel, Smelt, Neate, etc, is hard to get excited about. In recent years it seems more backmarkers are staying and less promising rookies are stepping up.
indeed , the other spectrum would have been guys like Priaux, Huff , Yvan Muller etc (re)join the series but those are pipe dreams
Old 27 Jan 2021, 20:44 (Ref:4031562)   #1872
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Interesting view - as a discussion point, is your concern with the ability of the backmarkers, or that backmarkers are continuing to enter?

Out of interest, which of the following sets of five drivers would be your least favourite:

Boardley, Goff, Neate, Butel, Hamilton.
Bushell, Plato, Thompson, Jelley, Smelt.
Martin, Simpson, Lines, Fletcher, Howard.
Holland, O.Jackson, Belcher, Stockton, Welch.
O.Jackson, Morgan, Griffin, James, Hughes.
George, Wood, Depper, Forster, Hollamby.

** I had no idea who would appear when I decided to trawl back every two years - but some names stand out as backmarkers who are now accepted as worthy of 'hanging around' **
Old 27 Jan 2021, 21:04 (Ref:4031564)   #1873
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Interesting view - as a discussion point, is your concern with the ability of the backmarkers, or that backmarkers are continuing to enter?
Neither. Just a little bit annoying not seeing new names come in.

Still, there's a lot more good names at the front than bad ones at the back.
Old 27 Jan 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4031567)   #1874
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Neither. Just a little bit annoying not seeing new names come in.

Still, there's a lot more good names at the front than bad ones at the back.

Good point. I wonder if we will get a complete rookie this season, we’ve yet to see one on the entry list
Old 27 Jan 2021, 22:30 (Ref:4031573)   #1875
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
I'm not aware of anyone from the obvious feeder series knocking on BTCC team doors; the funding step from Clio/ Mini to BTCC is big, will probably look even bigger at the moment with the train wreck of an economy and many businesses trying to survive. Few are thriving.