Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Sep 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3458749)   #4216
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
One more win and their cars will have surpassed Ferrari as the most winning WEC GTE make. The next generations will surely remember the dominator that was the AMR GT2 Vantage.

I think I am going to be sick.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 10:15 (Ref:3458832)   #4217
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good lad.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3458921)   #4218
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I shot this footage 3 years ago today. Hard to believe!

It is of those two lovely Aston Lolas at Petit. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv78M8cF6f4
Old 13 Oct 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3464723)   #4219
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Potentially up to 5 cars for WEC next season and 3 for TUSCC/NAEC

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/as...g-naec-effort/
Old 7 Nov 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3472507)   #4220
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One more win and their cars will have surpassed Ferrari as the most winning WEC GTE make. The next generations will surely remember the dominator that was the AMR GT2 Vantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
I think I am going to be sick.
Yes indeedy doodly doo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailysportscar
Aston Martin Racing add to their record tally of WEC GTE Am wins, it now stands at 10. Aston Martinís GTE Am class win means that the Aston Martin are now the most successful marque in WEC history with 16 class wins.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3472513)   #4221
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone who's witnessed the car in the flesh is complaining. Something else to complain about though which is key.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3472518)   #4222
Chiana
Veteran

Yes because the looks mean everything.

And no, wrong again. I've said it before in this very thread that I'm not faulting Aston Martin itself for not bothering with literally anything with this old, outdated and weakly equipped car, because why should they when the organizers have artificially made it the best performer of the bunch by law from year to year. There is no reason to do anything in such scenario, just relax and show up for the races. You can just see how weak it is when running in IMSA trim, where it still has most of it's generous gifts but not all of them (or others have the same amount).

But you know, if FIA GT1 World Champ kinda got laughed at for having old grandfathered Maseratis, Aston DBR9s and Corvettes winning races in front of new Nissans and alikes, then why shouldn't this ancient piece of... whatever deserve the same for outclassing 458s, 991s and C7.Rs? At least the factory developed hyper MC12s and co were genuinely better cars than some privateerly built Lamborghinis, but the Aston Vantage GT2 is without the doubt one of the least convincing -base- GT packages out there, was from the very beginning. And when you have a world championship where such model outshines the others, well...

Look this Vantage is now 6+ years old and will go into next year with little change. Some mods were made in 2012 but basically it's the same car. Now have there been models in recent years that were run even longer and yet were still (semi) competitive? Of course, look at the Saleen S7-R for example. From Laguna Seca 2000 to Zhuhai 2010 in ACO related racing, wow! But that car A) wasn't run by factory team when it was old enough for old folks home B) wasn't constantly in the top of the timecharts solely because of BoP

Last edited by Chiana; 7 Nov 2014 at 14:42.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3472657)   #4223
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Whilst I follow some of your logic re: BoP, why would they not be using the Vantage? It's the current road car that they sell against those competitors in the marketplace. When a new model comes along for the road, expect the race car to be new or the team to cease, but until then let's just enjoy the awesome sound it makes.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3472659)   #4224
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
I prefer the Vanquish (it has a cooler name too). But the Vantage is the model thats up against the 911 in price. But if Ferrari followed that, their California would be racing. I sometimes think the cars should race according to their price point or market level. So an 'entry level class' with the Vantage, 911 gt3, Vette, NSX, California, P13 (McLaren), GTR. Or higher priced class with the Vanquish, 458/F12, 911 gt2, Mac 650, Lambo Huracan etc. Thatd be ideal to me as a new gt1/gt2, pro/am, factory/customer.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3472674)   #4225
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it can be made GTE-ish and Bop'd in then let it race, F the price point.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3472826)   #4226
Chiana
Veteran

So if SEAT says it wants to enter Mii Sport into LMGTE because it wants to be part of Le Mans and beat Ferrari 458 Italia on track to "prove" that their vaccuum cleaner cars are in fact sexy and fast, you would happily welcome it? It's not like under the current "regulations" and exceptions that would be impossible either...
Old 8 Nov 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3472827)   #4227
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So if SEAT says it wants to enter Mii Sport into LMGTE because it wants to be part of Le Mans and beat Ferrari 458 Italia on track to "prove" that their vaccuum cleaner cars are in fact sexy and fast, you would happily welcome it? It's not like under the current "regulations" and exceptions that would be impossible either...
Yes, I would.

For me it's not about what car models 'should' race against eachother. I'm just happy there are manufacturers who want to race. And give us a good show while doing so. It's up to the manufacturers to decide which car they want to promote as their sporty motorsports car. If it's a SEAT Mii Sport, then so be it. If it's a McLaren 650S, then so be it.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3472883)   #4228
Chiana
Veteran

They could run the Vanguish, yes, or Rapide S. Those are higher performance production models as well. But lines like this just indicate that they are lazy (and for a good reason as I previously said), and last month:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscar365
AMR team principal John Gaw confirmed that the Aston Martin Vantage GTE will receive an aero update for 2016, with an all-new car, based on the replacement to the Vantage road car, set to debut two years later.

“For sure we’ll have an update to this car for 2016,” Gaw told Sportscar365. “We are likely to have a brand-new, bottom-up everything, based on a different model for 2018, because that’s when the new road car comes out.

“You can only homologate a new car once every three years, so we wouldn’t want to homologate one for 2016.”
So putting all the excuses and actual reasons aside, by the end of 2017 when this car will be ultimately retired, the Aston Martin Vantage GT2/GTE/whatever will have raced for 9 years in ACO racing, with the last five in the hands of factory team. And no "aero updates" or 2012 "reworks" or "safety upgrades" will change the fact that it's pretty much the same vehicle that raced a decade earlier.

In a sense I guess none of this really matters anyway since even if they had say Vanquish or whatever it would just get bopped constantly like all the rest, but at least such model would look like the more deserving record holder for "most winning WEC GT marque" than what there is now. Oh well.

@Koenigsegg - It's a viewpoint I personally disagree to the core, but you're welcome to have that of course
Old 8 Nov 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3472885)   #4229
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They could run the Vanguish, yes, or Rapide S. Those are higher performance production models as well. But lines like this just indicate that they are lazy (and for a good reason as I previously said), and last month:

So putting all the excuses and actual reasons aside, by the end of 2017 when this car will be ultimately retired, the Aston Martin Vantage GT2/GTE/whatever will have raced for 9 years in ACO racing, with the last five in the hands of factory team. And no "aero updates" or 2012 "reworks" or "safety upgrades" will change the fact that it's pretty much the same vehicle that raced a decade earlier.

In a sense I guess none of this really matters anyway since even if they had say Vanquish or whatever it would just get bopped constantly like all the rest, but at least such model would look like the more deserving record holder for "most winning WEC GT marque" than what there is now. Oh well.

@Koenigsegg - It's a viewpoint I personally disagree to the core, but you're welcome to have that of course
If you dont like it dont watch it?

At the end of the day AMR dont have another platform they can use other than the Vantage because this is the car that Aston Martin want to compete in the market with Ferrari and Porsche. Why should they build a whole new GTE on the same platform every couple of seasons?

Every year the 458 gets updates, the 997 RSR ran forever with updates.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3472891)   #4230
Chiana
Veteran

Look, if I want to watch a race involving LMP1 - and for the most part P2 - cars today, I have to watch these ones as well. There is no other option. And it was just three years ago that I was still here defending this class despite all the issues, I remember Speed-King (?) calling LMGTE the exact same as GT3 and arguing against it, and even in early 2012 I was still somewhat on their side, but I saw the truth.

And no, nobody should have to build new model after every couple of years "just because", but if you have the same basic car for 9 years, that is screaming for not wanting to bother. When they first introduced the car, they didn't run it themselves for 4 seasons but just let it to throwaway privateers until their P1 program collapsed and there was nothing else to grab on except that old car.

If they want specifically to have "Aston Martin Vantage" there for so long and keep the other models in bay, fine, but at least you could do major revamps to the car and not run the same thing for forever. Even a blind man can see that the thing on the racetrack today is the same as in 2008, with some cosmetic mods. And just as in 2008 in FIA GT and LMS, it needs a lot of help to keep up. If it wasn't for that help and ACO had treated that car the same as old Spykers, that car would never be running today. They themselves have said that they need breaks to keep up with the other cars (and apparently keeping up means winning more than them). So if there was a system that didn't award for having no development, might be inclided to something and not just show up and expect others to take care of the performance.