Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 16 Jun 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3263337)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
2014 NASCAR Whelen Euro Series...

want to watch Nascars on Road Tracks for most of the season? this is it. Ander Vilarino looks to take the series out for the 2nd time, and Josh Burdon still leading the Open Championship.

main website: http://www.euro-racecar.com/en/
Old 19 Jun 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3264639)   #2
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, I only see one problem here:

"Exhaust line with silencers (95 db)"

The best part of Nascar at a road course is a pushrod V8 with open headers. Fortunately, we don't have many noise restrictions here. In fact, although there are no laws governing it, the de facto maximum for aftermarket exhaust on street cars is 95 db at 100ft.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3264716)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Unfortunately, I only see one problem here:

"Exhaust line with silencers (95 db)"
My first comment when they came out for their first practice session at Brands Hatch was "these things are too quiet". Demonstrations of "real" NASCARs on the Sunday of that meeting gave those who've never been fortunate enough to visit a NASCAR race an idea of how they should sound.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3331229)   #4
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Ander Vilarino is the Elite Champion once again.

Anthony Gandon the Open Champion.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3337146)   #5
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Odd that Tours is the only oval in this series' schedule, as NASCAR racing is primarly oval based racing! The first time I saw a photo of this track, I thought I was looking at the legendary Bowman-Gray Stadium! Amazing the resemblance! I do not understand why they don't use the big speedways in Rockingham, England and Lausitz, Germany.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3337281)   #6
LateModel24
Rookie

LateModel24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand there are two issues:

1. the tracks need to be FIA spec.
2. NASCAR touring series rules.

Most of the ovals in Europe, and those we use for the late models such as Ipswich, Warneton and Venray are not FIA certified. Tours is a car park with a few temporary barriers added which is FIA certified hence they can use that.

The bigger ovals are stopped because, from what I've been told, NASCAR regional series cannot use anything bigger than 1.1 miles.

Maybe someone should buy Mallory and turn it into a true oval...

Edit: Yes, NASCAR is a predominantly oval series however "professional" racing in Europe is road course based. "Real" drivers don't like driving round in a circle.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3337459)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Are you sure about Venray?
Old 28 Nov 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3337741)   #8
LateModel24
Rookie

Not 100% sure, no. I am not aware of them applying for FIA certification for either oval; nor has anyone at the circuit mentioned it or advertised it.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3337989)   #9
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateModel24 View Post
From what I understand there are two issues:

1. the tracks need to be FIA spec.
2. NASCAR touring series rules.

Most of the ovals in Europe, and those we use for the late models such as Ipswich, Warneton and Venray are not FIA certified. Tours is a car park with a few temporary barriers added which is FIA certified hence they can use that.
Interesting, since the majority of the tracks that the regional NASCAR series, here in the U.S. run on are not FIA spec or approved and FIA spec/approval is not required here for the use of these tracks.

Quote:
The bigger ovals are stopped because, from what I've been told, NASCAR regional series cannot use anything bigger than 1.1 miles.

Perhaps that is the reason that Rockingham and Lausitz are not used. However, I saw, somewhere today, don't remember where, that there are talks about running Rockingham in the future. Time will tell, I guess.

Quote:
Edit: Yes, NASCAR is a predominantly oval series however "professional" racing in Europe is road course based. "Real" drivers don't like driving round in a circle.
Oh yeah, I forgot -- "Real" drivers. I guess that is why the "Real" drivers, f-1, indy, etc., have done SO WELL and have so throughly dominated the Sprint Cup Series in their forrays into Sprint Cup Races.
Old 29 Nov 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3338046)   #10
LateModel24
Rookie

NASCAR doesn't need FIA circuits because it seems everyone in the US just about ignores the FIA anyway.

The Euro series is an FIA-certified International series and that brings some of this baggage with it.

I've heard the Rockingham rumours and several variations:
- big oval
- one of the road layouts
- oval with chicanes (argh!!)
and so on.

You need to understand how peoples minds work in Europe: road courses mean turning left and right; ovals mean turning left. Well, that's only 50% of the road course so must be easier....
Old 30 Nov 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3338410)   #11
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
NASCAR doesn't need FIA circuits because it seems everyone in the US just about ignores the FIA anyway.
Yes, we pretty much do and we do fine without them, probably allot better that if we didn't ignore them!

Quote:
The Euro series is an FIA-certified International series and that brings some of this baggage with it.
Yes, I would imagine so!

Quote:
I've heard the Rockingham rumours and several variations:
- big oval
- one of the road layouts
- oval with chicanes (argh!!)
and so on.
Hopefully, if they ever run there, it will be on the oval. Yes, it's a bit bigger than the 1.1 mile, but being flat, they won't build up as much speed as they would if it were banked like most of the ovals here. Speeds should not be that much greater and I imagine they would put on a pretty good race there.

Quote:
You need to understand how peoples minds work in Europe: road courses mean turning left and right; ovals mean turning left. Well, that's only 50% of the road course so must be easier....
That, my friend, I will not ever try to say that I understand! I don't say that in any derogatory manner, I simply mean that it seems that on practically everything, the European mind and the U.S. mind are diometrically opposed. VERY difficult to understand, when people are so opposite, in their ways of thinking. They think ovals as so much easier, just shows you that they really don't have a clue!
Old 2 Dec 2013, 08:06 (Ref:3339154)   #12
LateModel24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
That, my friend, I will not ever try to say that I understand! I don't say that in any derogatory manner, I simply mean that it seems that on practically everything, the European mind and the U.S. mind are diometrically opposed. VERY difficult to understand, when people are so opposite, in their ways of thinking. They think ovals as so much easier, just shows you that they really don't have a clue!

And that is why I think it will be hard to get a European into NASCAR as anything other than a road course ringer. We have a very different attitude to racing over here. Short oval racing is just seen as Bangers. When I first went to the short ovals a couple of years ago I got funny looks from the long circuit paddock when I was back there. Even explaining that it was costing the same to race a 400HP late model as a 90HP formula car still got funny looks.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 02:21 (Ref:3342988)   #13
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
And that is why I think it will be hard to get a European into NASCAR as anything other than a road course ringer. We have a very different attitude to racing over here. Short oval racing is just seen as Bangers. When I first went to the short ovals a couple of years ago I got funny looks from the long circuit paddock when I was back there. Even explaining that it was costing the same to race a 400HP late model as a 90HP formula car still got funny looks.
Well, if that be the case, that there are drivers there, that genuinely want to get into NASCAR and are being held back, due to the attitude over there, that it takes no skill to drive an oval, it is a real shame! As I said, they don't have a clue as to how difficult oval racing is, what goes into it and their perception of costs, like your example points out!

LateModel24, here is what I would like to see, both from a rather selfish point of view, but in light of your statements, a possible way to help some of these drivers if they want to try to get into NASCAR.

We have a long off-season here. Racing ends in Nov and does not start back until Feb. Four months does not sound like a long time, but when you are use to seeing racing, at some level, Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Camping World Trucks, K&N East, etc., You have a pretty sizeable void. Now I am a big fan of American football, college level football, but I have lost much of the interest that I once had in the NFL. I do not like basketball, so with college football winding down, just the bowl games left really, There is a very long, boring gap for me between the end of the season, at Homestead and the beginning of the coming season, at Daytona. There needs to be something, for racing fans, to fill that void.

In the early to mid 90s, NASCAR had the answer. On the old "The Nashville Network" (TNN), a racing series, called "Winter Heat" was run! It was a non-points series, in that it took place between seasons and it's results did not have any bearing on the upcoming season, for any of the teams, from any of the series that participated.

The first season, the different West coast series, the old Winston Cup West Series, the old All-Pro West Series, (now K&N West) and the new, in it's debute race, NASCAR Craftsman Truck (now Camping World) Series were used. All-Pro East (K&N East, now) Winston Cup, and Busch Grand National (Nationwide Series) drivers/teams could enter the races that match their series rules. It ran for around 6 weeks and did an outstanding job of filling the void between the end of last and beginning of the coming seasons.

The second year, ESPN took it over and the races, with the exception of the first race, which was an All-Pro West race, were from the local/regional (now NASCAR Home Track) series. I did not like the format quite as well, but again, the void was filled and we received a respite from the between seasons void. All of the races, both years, were run at the short track in Tucson, AZ. After the second season, Winter Heat was discontinued and has not been rescheduled since.

My idea is to bring back the NASCAR Winter Heat Series. In most of the areas of the U.S. winter is not suitable for racing, due to cold, ice, snow, etc. But, there are a couple of areas in the country, where that is not the case, the afore mentioned Arizona, around Tuson and Phoenix, also the Southern portion of Florida have tempertures and weather that are suitable for racing, year round. What I would like to see (I won't say propose, because, unfortunately, I know my idea has zero chance of ever seeing light) would be a racing series, using the following series, NASCAR K&N East and West Series, NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, NASCAR Toyota Mexican Series and NASCAR Whelen Euro Series. The five series have similar cars and rules, little would have to be done for series compatibility. Have the races at short tracks in Arizona and the final race at Phoenix International Raceway. Run the first race, the last week in Nov, run three races in Dec, take the week that Christmas fall in off, start back the first week after New Year run two races, then the final, at PIR, the last week of Jan. This would give the fans something to watch during the period between the two seasons. It would be greatly welcomed!

Since, as you point out, there is only a single oval on the Euro Series schedule, any driver in this series, that hopes to one day race in the U.S. will be sadly DEFICENT in the experience that he/she need the MOST, OVAL experience! This series would allow the Euro Series teams and drivers to come to the U.S. and compete on ovals, which they will HAVE TO gain proficiency on, if they ever hope to run in the different NASCAR series here in the U.S.. The Winter Heat series that ran for two years, allowed several current Sprint Cup stars to be discovered, the top NASCAR team owners scout the two K&N Series and to a lesser degree, the Canadian Tire Series. This would give the Euro Series and the Mexican Series drivers more of a chance to display their talents and skills to the top NASCAR Series owners. I would see this as a win, win for both the fans and the 5 different series drivers and teams. Your thoughts?
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3343052)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, the lease for Mallory has been bought by "Real Motorsport Ltd" http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...r+Mallory+Park

As most series in the UK have now got their calendars most of the way sorted, and Mallory will not feature due to the recent problems and the lateness of this deal, they will be looking for content in 2014. Maybe someone should contact the new operators with a view to running some oval races there (and yes I know about the hump, but maybe now is the time to look at sorting that out).

As an aside I have often thought that you could develop a short oval out of the Melbourne loop at Donington, as part of the first loop at Anglesey (inc "the Banking" first corner) and there was talk some time ago of developing part of the Stowe circuit at Silverstone in to an Oval.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3343589)   #15
LateModel24
Rookie

In Europe, we don't really have professional oval racing. Then, when we have a series like the Whelan NASCAR Euro Series, we run into big problems around sanctioning bodies. Long circuit motorsport in Europe is all run under the control of the FIA and it's national governing bodies. Short track oval racing is all run by individual promoters: Spedeworth, CAMSO, etc. The FIA gets very upset when people decide to go racing on non-approved circuits. There is no benefit for a short oval to get FIA approval; they don't need it.

As for Tours "speedway", it's a temporary oval certified to FIA specification which means those temporary barriers and no concrete wall. Other than Tours, Rockingham and Lausitz are FIA certified but too big for a NASCAR touring series.

I wonder if there is any way that the Euro Series can drop it's FIA International status and have more freedom to run short ovals?