Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3759536)   #2551
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a Renault as well but I can't remember what number it was!

Bought it off an old chap when I was still on Traffic in the 80's. He agreed that I could have a longish test drive as long as he accompanied me so I took him for a blast onto some Moors roads and up the A1. He went very quiet for some reason and settled for a significantly lower price.

If it helps Baub I'd had two Vauxhall Chevettes before that - my first two cars in fact.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3759541)   #2552
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I once hired a Vauxhall Viva. It was yellow. I quite liked it.

There, that's the Bob quotient, now back to other things...
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3759543)   #2553
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
That was another good earner for me. you could change a clutch in 20 mins. happy days.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3759544)   #2554
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
More or less same weather down here, John, bar the thunder. Were you involved in the racing prototype Lotus made once for Citroën?
We've been always amazed by Citroën adverts, a long time tradition starting with the Eiffel Tower. Nasty people use to say that the better the advert was the worse the cars became… Throwing a Visa from an airplane carrier is an example…
No, sorry, didn't have anything to do with a Citroen prototype.

Renault Clio TV ads used to a feature a nice young lady, but probably far too non-PC these days, at least in UK.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3759545)   #2555
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Renault Clio TV ads used to a feature a nice young lady, but probably far too non-PC these days, at least in UK.
"Oh, yes, Papa! I am a good little girl!"

No, not me, the bloomin' ads.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3759547)   #2556
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
"Oh, yes, Papa! I am a good little girl!"

No, not me, the bloomin' ads.
It's just come to me - was she Nicole?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3759550)   #2557
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Such a deeply relevant, and fascinating subject as this has developed into, really requires a thread all to itself. There you aficionados of obscure models, engines, gear ratios, essential modifications etc., etc. could spend many a happy hour discussing your passion for the terminally uninteresting to your hearts content, with out boring the pants of the more balanced amongst us.

I have been forced to say this before, but ...WHERE ARE THE MODS WHEN YOU NEED THEM???
I thought you didn't want people to talk about mods.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3759552)   #2558
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Such a deeply relevant, and fascinating subject as this has developed into, really requires a thread all to itself. There you aficionados of obscure models, engines, gear ratios, essential modifications etc., etc. could spend many a happy hour discussing your passion for the terminally uninteresting to your hearts content, with out boring the pants of the more balanced amongst us.

I have been forced to say this before, but ...WHERE ARE THE MODS WHEN YOU NEED THEM???
Ramsgate...??
Old 15 Aug 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3759572)   #2559
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
..WHERE ARE THE MODS WHEN YOU NEED THEM???
Ah, John and GP beat me to it.....

If you want a more serious response, I would say that any post or thread that promotes conversation has done its job- and this is the 'tea break' thread after all, where the topic can be as obscure as you like!

Over to you, Bob.....
Old 15 Aug 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3759577)   #2560
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Ah, John and GP beat me to it.....

If you want a more serious response, I would say that any post or thread that promotes conversation has done its job- and this is the 'tea break' thread after all, where the topic can be as obscure as you like!

Over to you, Bob.....
You must have blooming long tee breaks where you work, Mike! This 'discussion' has gone of for far too long, time to change the record.

Has anyone ever cycled form North London to Goodwood, Snetterton, Brands Hatch, or even Crystal Palace?

What is you favourite flavour ice cream?

How many UK top ten records can you name?

What is your opinion of Cary Grant?

Why is Doctor Who so popular when it is simply a Children's show?

Plenty to keep us all busy for a day or two.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3759578)   #2561
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So anyway. Was it the Renault 16 that had more cigar lighters and ashtrays than any other saloon car?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3759579)   #2562
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1. No

2. Don't eat ice cream

3. None

4. Who?

5. Doctor what?

There, done that.

It's amazing that the Renault gearbox was so widely used when I usually associate Renault with weak gearboxes.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3759580)   #2563
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

It's amazing that the Renault gearbox was so widely used when I usually associate Renault with weak gearboxes.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Likewise didn't Lotus use the engine and gearbox in the Europa?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3759581)   #2564
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
You must have blooming long tee breaks where you work, Mike! This 'discussion' has gone of for far too long, time to change the record.

Has anyone ever cycled form North London to Goodwood, Snetterton, Brands Hatch, or even Crystal Palace?

What is you favourite flavour ice cream?

How many UK top ten records can you name?

What is your opinion of Cary Grant?

Why is Doctor Who so popular when it is simply a Children's show?

Plenty to keep us all busy for a day or two.
No

Raspberry

Lots

Who does he drive for?

No idea, I'm a grown-up
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3759583)   #2565
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Likewise didn't Lotus use the engine and gearbox in the Europa?

See #2544 Peter!
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:22 (Ref:3759584)   #2566
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I do believe the Europa used a Renault gearbox along with the engine. Don't forget it was used in single seater racing as well (unless it was just the gear train), although not very successfully.....

Didn't the 16 also have torsion bar rear suspension with one w/base longer than the other? It was a Renault thing at the time!
This one?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3759588)   #2567
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, as the Shoeshine boy said to The Cincinnati Kid near the end of the film- 'you tried too hard, man'.......

Yes, keep up at the back!

Am sure Delta can comment on the strength and reliability (or not) of Renault gearboxes in Lotus 18s etc.....
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:37 (Ref:3759589)   #2568
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
COncerning Bob's List.

1. No.

2. Any, usually but then that means I don't have a favourite. So none.

3. Which era? (Or possibly which year .... short era's back then.)

4. Who?

5. That first one was a bit of a pathfinder. What was his name, Hartley or something. Worked well in Black and White. Disappointed that he went of to write a book about fishing or some such murderous passtime. Lost its way after that. Top Gear went the same way .... Must be a BBC thing. CBBC management in charge?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 18:45 (Ref:3759594)   #2569
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hartnell. And apparently he was a reluctant star. JR Hartley was a fictitious yellow pages character.

The Dolomite engine was used by the Unipart March F3 team in the 70s.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3759596)   #2570
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Was it the Renault 16 that had more cigar lighters and ashtrays than any other saloon car?
Oups, dont think so, the 16 was not intended to "match" Vanden Plas. But I'll check. The first signs of luxury landed in the Renault range with the 25 in Baccara guise. Do you remember they had a leather garment bag in the trunk?

If they used something coming from a Dolly, guess this was the motorsport version from the crank case.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3759626)   #2571
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have frequently pondered the age old question of just how many different engine/gearbox combinations the post war Renaults have had in their various guises, whereas I have never wondered about Ford cars at all. Is this just me?

I should mention for the interest of our Viv that I once owned a Vauxhall Viva, I bought it as a stop gap when I no longer had a company car. It was pretty shabby but I knocked the seller down from £360 to £300 cash. I hired a Chevette for a while and drove from Luton to Thruxton in a record time. I recall passing a Porsche and a Saab and several lesser cars in one fell swoop down a valley as they dithered. Never saw then again. Lewis Hamilton .. eat your heart out.

Humber ex WD Staff car
Vauxhall VX90
Morris Minor
Hillman Minx
Hillman Hunter
Vauxhall Cavaliers Mk1 & Mk3
Assorted Astras
Alfa Romeo Guiletta
Alfa Romeo GTV

What a boring selection of cars I have owned.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3759627)   #2572
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Hartnell. And apparently he was a reluctant star. JR Hartley was a fictitious yellow pages character.

The Dolomite engine was used by the Unipart March F3 team in the 70s.

Hartnell?

Norman?

Thought he was a dressmaker.

Can't seem him getting much custom from the Daleks.

Old 15 Aug 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3759631)   #2573
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hartnell?

Norman?

Thought he was a dressmaker.

Can't seem him getting much custom from the Daleks.

Perhaps the new Doc Hoo might need some posh frocks. (I do keep up, Mike)
Old 16 Aug 2017, 04:49 (Ref:3759668)   #2574
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
This one?

No, next one down - but yes, the original Europa did use a modified version of the Renault 16 engine + standard gearbox.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 05:35 (Ref:3759670)   #2575
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Despite the fact that it was referred to at least once by the beeb as a 'boat' this morning, got to love our new RNS flagship.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-40936071

But was RNS Queen Elizabeth a vanity project? Is it relevant?

Looking forward to next trip out of Portsmouth so can get a look....