Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3774300)   #1
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a winter schedule (Nothern Hemisphere) for F1?

How about a winter schedule (Nothern Hemisphere) for F1?
This is a cross post from here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....6&postcount=78 (please delete if not appropriate).

German Grand Prix
Hockenheimring, Hockenheim[46] 11-09-16

Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring, Budapest 18-09-16

Russian Grand Prix Sochi Autodrom, Sochi 02-10-16

Baku European Grand Prix
Baku City Circuit, Baku[45] 09-10-17

Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka International Racing Course, Suzuka[47] 22-10-16

Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai 29-10-15

Australian Grand Prix Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne 13-11-16

Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir 27-11-16

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi 11-12-16

Brazilian Grand Prix Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo 15-01-17

Option: South-African Grand Prix 22-01-17

Singapore Grand Prix Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore 05-02-17

Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang International Circuit, Kuala Lumpur 19-02-17

Mexican Grand Prix Autódromo Hermanos RodrÃ*guez, Mexico City 12-03-17

United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas 26-03-17

Spanish Grand Prix Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona 16-04-17

Italian Grand Prix Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza 30-04-17

Monaco Grand Prix Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 14-05-17

Canadian Grand Prix Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal 28-05-17 British Grand Prix Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone 04-06-17

Austrian Grand Prix Red Bull Ring, Spielberg 18-06-17 Belgian Grand Prix Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot 25-06-17

Advantages:
- Starts and ends at the home of Grand Prix racing; Europe.
- Final race at probably the best F1 track; Spa instead of some sandpit.
- Back to back races in close proximity save transport cost (although it can also harm revenue, cause fans then perhaps only visit one instead of two).
- Each race in proper average weather conditions.
- Heart of the summer is freed up so fans and part of the mechanic crews can have a proper summer break.

I'll admit it is a bit of a left field proposal, but I think a winter schedule does have some advantages.
Old 15 Oct 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3774317)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's a bit late for that now
Old 15 Oct 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3774324)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given the colder conditions, would this require an entirely new set of tires compounds? I don't know enough to say if the current compounds could get up to temp and into their operating window in colder weather. And how many spectators would want to visit a track in cold weather? Would this make the events not particularly economical viable?

Richard
Old 15 Oct 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3774327)   #4
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Given the colder conditions, would this require an entirely new set of tires compounds? I don't know enough to say if the current compounds could get up to temp and into their operating window in colder weather. And how many spectators would want to visit a track in cold weather? Would this make the events not particularly economical viable?

Richard
I remember researching the climate tables of all events when making this calendar. Most winter events are either Southern hemisphere (summer) or near the equator where it doesn't matter much anyway. Each date was chosen to have good temperatures and avoiding monsoon conditions. So I don't expect that to be a problem.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3774485)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sao Paulo in January is even worse than November.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3774492)   #6
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
True, although I quite enjoy a wet Sao Paulo Grand Prix (at least with well working rain tyres).
Old 16 Oct 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3774505)   #7
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

I know a certain guy wanted to install sprinklers around tracks...

One could swap Sao Paulo to November and move Melbourne to January if must be.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3774525)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shall we bring back the Tasman series?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3774550)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i do like the idea of placing the COTA race outside of its OCT/NOV window and thereby avoiding conflicts with NFL/collage football seasons but at the same time the mid march date you have places it in and around the first weekend of March Madness which is another huge annual sporting event.

at this point, its probably fair to say that F1 in the US (and for most of Canada) will never be much more than a very small niche sport but if there is a chance for it grow then a national broadcast when it doesnt have to go head to head with far more established and popular N.American sporting events would be beneficial.

also, the season as you have it very closely matches the NBA and NHL seasons and Sing seems to be around when the SuperBowl is played.

so admittedly this is more my (selfish) issue as someone with a lot of other N.American sports league consumption habits.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3774629)   #10
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i do like the idea of placing the COTA race outside of its OCT/NOV window and thereby avoiding conflicts with NFL/collage football seasons but at the same time the mid march date you have places it in and around the first weekend of March Madness which is another huge annual sporting event.

at this point, its probably fair to say that F1 in the US (and for most of Canada) will never be much more than a very small niche sport but if there is a chance for it grow then a national broadcast when it doesnt have to go head to head with far more established and popular N.American sporting events would be beneficial.

also, the season as you have it very closely matches the NBA and NHL seasons and Sing seems to be around when the SuperBowl is played.

so admittedly this is more my (selfish) issue as someone with a lot of other N.American sports league consumption habits.
Thanks for the feedback.

I must admit that there is a selfish motivation on my side as well, since F1 summer schedule often conflicts with my summer outdoor activities.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3775265)   #11
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Bin Baku, Abu Dhabi , Bahrain, Russia and China . Reinstate France , South Africa and other countries which have even a hint of motor sport heritage, meaning that the crowd will be more than three bent local politicians and a stray dog and we might be talking ...
Old 20 Oct 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3775275)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

Yes I definitely agree with the above post