Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Apr 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2442454)   #26
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
Danica gets that Motorola Car going real good. She has talent. You watch, on all the ovals this year, she will qualify in the top 5 at every one of them and even a couple poles!
Alright! You are on my friend.

DanicaFan's Claim
Dutton's Claim (aka Rational Claim)

Mike Conway WILL NOT finish ahead of Danica in any race in which both finish without crashing or having mechanical failures.
Whilst DanicaFan's claim could theoretically happen, probability would suggest Mike Conway will finish ahead of Danica at least once when both finish without crashing or having mechanical failures.

On all the ovals this year, she will qualify in the top 5 at every one of them[,] and even [get] a couple poles
Whilst DanicaFan's claim could theoretically happen, probability would suggest Danica will not qualify in the top 5 for everyone of the oval races. A couple of poles is entirely feasible, although absolutely not a fact.

I am putting my bets on DanicaFan's claims proving to be false, with the exception of the poles part (I am not contesting that, but am not claiming it will happen).

The difference is I am going with what I think is probable, but not considering them a matter of fact. DanicaFan is claiming these matters to be a matter of fact. Perhaps I have misinterpreted the nature of DanicaFan's claims, in which case I am sorry, but they seems to be assertions of fact.

There is something of a possibility of the first going DanicaFan's way, although I think the shake of things will disprove it. The latter, though, I have to say is quite something: the part about a couple of poles I am not betting against (it is quite possible, if far from a certainty), but qualifying every one in the top-5 seems incredibly improbable.

DanicaFan, you have made noises about Danica and wins. Any betting you fancy on that front? I may or may not take it up (it would depend whether you were keeping a vague grip on reality or not with the prediction).

Last edited by Dutton; 16 Apr 2009 at 18:49.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2442518)   #27
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
. I am telling you, Danica is awesome on ovals.
[Citation Needed]
Old 16 Apr 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2442528)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dutton, the concept of probability is lost here I feel!
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2442639)   #29
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well she has - as they say determination..
she isn't fair too poorly
just not where Wheldon would be in the same machinery..
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:25 (Ref:2442660)   #30
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I am telling you, Danica is awesome on ovals. She is very fast and can hold her own against anyone.
She can hold her own against the others in the sense of having general competency (that is, she isn't awful). Her finishing position, and head-to-head battles, record does not hold its own against everyone's. It isn't the worst by any means, but it is not on par with the top runners.

She is very fast? In some ways she is, but in others she isn't. Very fast with respect to what? If you are meaning the guys who are contenders for victory race after race, and for the title year after year, then she isn't very fast in comparison to them. Note that I am talking her in terms of the past, not the future facts of things you apparently have a very special connection to.

Danica is awesome on ovals? According to yourdictionary.com (http://www.yourdictionary.com/awesome), awesome means:
  1. inspiring awe
  2. NOW RARE showing awe
  3. SLANG wonderful; impressive; excellent
According to yourdictionary.com (http://www.yourdictionary.com/awe), awe means:
  1. a mixed feeling of reverence, fear, and wonder, caused by something majestic, sublime, sacred, etc.
  2. ARCHAIC the power of inspiring intense fear or fearful reverence
  3. OBSOLETE terror; dread

I imagine you mean it in the slang descriptive sense of qualities of a thing (Danica in this sense). I think you will be in a minority in this usage. I certainly wouldn't consider it justified. In terms of the first definition of awe, it is most certainly possible you take that to be relevant too. I imagine you are also in a pretty lowly populated region of things with this too (I'm certainly not on that island with you).

I wouldn't use alternative, somewhat mean, combinations of meanings of the words awesome and awe which are available. They would be unfair to Danica, since she isn't anywhere near incompetent enough to instill terror or dread.

She isn't awesome on ovals, Danicafan. She is generally competent, with the ability to be specifically better than generally competent on occasions.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 00:40 (Ref:2442666)   #31
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is there a thread about Danica Vs Mike?

Don't understand what its for but you can't compare the two. Conway is a dominant British Formula Renault champion, Eurocup FR race winner, dominant British F3 champion, Macau F3 Grand Prix winner and GP2 Monaco race winner. Patrick has won an oval Indycar race.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:41 (Ref:2442676)   #32
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
It is DanicaFan vs Rationality, as much as anything.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2442738)   #33
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's also the greatest thread on a racing website ever!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2442832)   #34
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One for DanicaFan.. An hour on the radio with Danica & Adam Carrolla..

http://carollaradio.com/
Old 17 Apr 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2442927)   #35
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
Why is there a thread about Danica Vs Mike?

Don't understand what its for but you can't compare the two. Conway is a dominant British Formula Renault champion, Eurocup FR race winner, dominant British F3 champion, Macau F3 Grand Prix winner and GP2 Monaco race winner. Patrick has won an oval Indycar race.
I do believe Danica won 3 or 4 Toyota Atlantic races in 2003/04 aswell...
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2442944)   #36
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I do believe Danica won 3 or 4 Toyota Atlantic races in 2003/04 aswell...
Nope. Danica had never won a single car race until the Motegi event. Seriously.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2442952)   #37
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevp View Post
It's also the greatest thread on a racing website ever!
I'm inclined to say greatest thread in the history of the internet itself and I don't bandy that one about at will.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2442959)   #38
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys just need to go ahead and admit she is a great driver.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2442968)   #39
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Either DanicaFan is the kind of guy who expresses love with a knife, or he is just being provocative for the sake of it and enjoying watching everyone get thier knickers in a twist...

Either way, it makes my lunchtimes that little bit more enjoyable....
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2442969)   #40
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just cannot see how someone can be a great driver based on ONE win ever?!

Honestly, for someone to be great I expect multiple titles (apart from some exceptional circumstances) and some truely dominant performances.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2442970)   #41
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
No, I honestly believe in Danica. I know she has talent and is a heck of a race car driver. Ive gotten to know her, her pit crew, and dad real well so it makes it more personal as well.

Trust me, I get razzed by my friends around here as well but I can take it. Ive been taking the razzing about Danica for a few years now.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2442988)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this year will show that Danica to F1 talk is silly, and if USF1 were to give her a race seat she'd be in danger of being 107%'d on a regular basis (if the 107% rule was still there).

Mike Conway didn't exactly set the world on fire in two years of GP2, with only one win which was a reverse grid (albeit a wet one at Monaco where he set the fastest lap). He was outperformed by drivers like Pastor Maldonado (more hits than Cliff Richard), Andy Zuber and Karun Chandhok. However, he did beat Ho-Pin Tung in 2008.

If Mike outpaces Danica this year, it won't look good for her reputation.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2442990)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great drivers win things surely?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2442996)   #44
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I think this year will show that Danica to F1 talk is silly, and if USF1 were to give her a race seat she'd be in danger of being 107%'d on a regular basis (if the 107% rule was still there).
Remember Peter Windsor is involved with USGP, and he is a PR genius. Danica won't get a race seat, but if it generates media hype (and therefore the possibility of money) then she'll get a test - no matter how hilariously bad she is.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2443067)   #45
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Danica is not interested in F1. She wants to stay in an US based series, most likely the IRL. She has said this. She also stated nothing ever developed after the USF1 team mentioned her name. She was never contacted and no phone calls for them.

Plus she isnt a show driver. If she tests a car, it will be for real.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2443138)   #46
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
He's a mentalist, what do you expect? :P
Old 17 Apr 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2443177)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No, I honestly believe in Danica.
She does indeed exist.

So not bet then.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2443230)   #48
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First practice session at LB has ended

Conway was 9th

Danica was 20th

FWIW

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2443252)   #49
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycar.com
1 Dario Franchitti (10) 1:11.1915

9 Mike Conway (24) 1:12.0611

20 Danica Patrick (7) 1:13.8488

22 Stanton Barrett (98) 1:14.1921
Interesting stuff. Do you have any thoughts on this situation, DanicaFan?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2443264)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This is not an oval. You can't expect Danica to be good on a road course, that would be unfair.