Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Jan 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2612767)   #1
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IndyCar Loses Multiple Fuel Settings

Well, starting this year, the IndyCar Series announced that they are removing the four position fuel mixture switch from the cars. I dont like this. I think they should keep it myself. So now fuel strategy will have to be done other ways like controlling the throttle.

The teams will still have the push to pass system and the new reverse gear so Im glad they kept the one and added the other feature. They also added a new "floating back" headrest to use. This is supposed to reduce the head and neck injuries by helping with the G forces. The kevlar skin of the headrest is attached to the front of the foam and the sides "float", so the driver only feels foam.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2612810)   #2
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see where removing the mixture knob is a good idea either.

Fuel comsumption/ mileage has always been one of the variables that determines the outcome of a race, particularly when different engine types were in competition. This move, to a large degree, negates another of the few remaining variables between nearly identical cars.

Tony Cotman was pointing towards fuel strategy choices as one way for the slower cars to gain a competitive edge. Now he apparently has a reduced role in decision making. And there's one less option for a team manager to consider as a strategy.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2612849)   #3
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find fuel strategy mind numbingly dull so I'm all for this.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2612895)   #4
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane View Post
I find fuel strategy, when only a knob is used to decide how much power the car puts down/how much fuel is consumed, mind numbingly dull. I think that with this, you'll begin to see some of the better drivers stand out. Some of the "second tier" teams should be able to come to the front a bit better if they can leave off the gas earlier and roll through the corners more.

All for this move.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2612915)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which drivers will lose out here? I suppose those with no subtlety and can only drive one way.

The control is a good idea, although I don't think it will be missed by the fans. Maybe the drivers will have to develop more skills; the ability to keep up good speed while using little fuel. That is difficult, so a good thing it is back.

However, overall I think it makes little difference.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2612923)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane View Post
I completely agree.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2612945)   #7
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find an entire grid of identical, sealed engines to be mind-numbingly dull.
Now the only singular tuning adjustment, fuel consumption mapping, has been removed.

That ought to help.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2613037)   #8
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Now the only singular tuning adjustment, fuel consumption mapping, has been removed.

That ought to help.
You know, using talent instead of technology when saving fuel is to me a step in the right direction.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2613044)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post

That ought to help.
I agree it was better with a variety of engines. However I don't think that this change makes that any worse. Their is more chance of varience now because the fuel saving is harder to achieve.

So who do we think will benefit?
Old 13 Jan 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2613057)   #10
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A car set to full lean could probably lead a car set to full rich because overtaking is so hard with turbulence... Now the drivers will have to find the full lean position themselves and I guess that will be harder and make mistakes more likely. But the general state of the series, like most of racing in the US and elsewhere, is kinda worrying.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2613077)   #11
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
In spite of the strategy he used at Homestead 2009, I believe Scott Dixon has been praised before for his ability to conserve fuel.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 02:27 (Ref:2613103)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelland View Post
I find fuel strategy, when only a knob is used to decide how much power the car puts down/how much fuel is consumed, mind numbingly dull. I think that with this, you'll begin to see some of the better drivers stand out. Some of the "second tier" teams should be able to come to the front a bit better if they can leave off the gas earlier and roll through the corners more.

All for this move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I agree it was better with a variety of engines. However I don't think that this change makes that any worse. Their is more chance of varience now because the fuel saving is harder to achieve.

So who do we think will benefit?
This hurt the racing in Champcar in its final years more than any one single other thing.

Basically now you'll get three quarters of the race with all the cars lifting off the throttle halfway down straights and coasting through corners, etc, and maybe, if you're lucky, a yellow flag towards the end of the race when the pitstops are all done and they can begin racing proper on the restart.
If there is no yellow after the final stop, the cars are usually too spaced out for the full fuel racing to make any difference.
In the early stages of the race listen on the radios for the teams to actively discourage anyone trying to hustle/make a move on the car in front because it wastes fuel.

Plus, there's the added factor of the race officials knowing all this and, with one eye on the TV broadcast, finding any bullhocky reason to throw a yellow flag at a moment that will upset the fuel strategies and lead to a jumbling of the order.
From now on the fans will either moan that he races are too boring, all strategy, no passing (purists will love it though) or will moan the races were too artificial with the only action being as a result of "NASCAR Yellows" etc

Of all the things from the Champcar era I'd like to see the IRL bring over, this would have to be the absolute last thing I'd want to see adopted

If I were in charge, all drivers would be required to run flat out 100% of the time and anyone caught fuel saving via lifting off/coasting etc would be given a one race ban!
Old 14 Jan 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2613491)   #13
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see something put back into the driver's hands (or foot) these days. I applaud this move.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2613571)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt it will change much really.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 04:31 (Ref:2613665)   #15
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat View Post
Nice to see something put back into the driver's hands (or foot) these days. I applaud this move.
I agree. For example I remember reading once that, even at the same mapping setting, different Audi factory drivers' styles with the throttle at Le Mans meant that some could get an extra lap out of a stint compared to others. It takes a certain skill to not give up anything on pace while using less gas. Maybe a skill your average road driver should learn too!
Old 15 Jan 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2613740)   #16
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Danica a fuel saving expert, too, just like Dixon?
Old 15 Jan 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2613752)   #17
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about Danica, but I'm sure I remember AGR saying that Wheldon (back when he was with them) used dramatically less fuel than his team mates, so this could rule in his favour.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2613917)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Isn't Danica a fuel saving expert, too, just like Dixon?
In driving style or using the knob?