Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Feb 2016, 00:05 (Ref:3617190)   #1251
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure that's true, they don't have to pay any of those costs as the series isn't linked to the ruleset in the way that, say, DTM is. They build a GT3 car. I think the reason for the manufacturer's permission to be needed is so as not to end up with many multiple versions of the same car built by different people.

Clearly the world is starting to go that way, with IMSA being the most obvious example in sportscars, but I'm not sure Blancpain or the N24 have these requirements yet, just one that they participate in X number of races to qualify for the one they want. I could well be wrong on this one, maybe there is more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
If I approach Jaguar or whatnot, and say, "hey, this is a project I want to do" They will approve or deny.. should you be a semi professional outfit, there is little reason to suspect a denial would happen.
As you say, it does happen. We know Lambo have refused Reiter the chance to keep developing their cars due to them wanting to take it in-house, obviously Callaway have had to jump through all sorts of hoops for GM to allow them permission to homologate the C7.

In rallying, the Mitsubishi R5 car is having a similar issue, where the private tuner has built the cars (with support from their local arm of Mitsubishi) but can't get it homologated due to the main company saying 'no'.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jaguar have refused companies permission to develop the F-Type in order to keep their options open.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 00:52 (Ref:3617196)   #1252
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Jaguar have refused companies permission to develop the F-Type in order to keep their options open.
Options open, and also save the embarrassment of a program that fails. Jaguar had a bit of an embarrassment in the ALMS in GT2(or GTLM or whatever it was called)
Old 24 Feb 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3617197)   #1253
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No it isn't. SRO wants to force the manufacturing money in for their own benefit.

If Reiter, or RML, or whoever build a car, they won't be charged with marketing and manu fees like the OEM. They only pay the entry fees.
Oh just stop it! Enough of this obfuscation. This all goes back to the misbegotten thought that the 'privateer' can build their own car. They can't, it MUST go through the guidelines set down by FIA in how and who homologates a car, period. If one were to satisfy that process then they could build a car, but, it is far from 'homebuilt'!

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 04:06 (Ref:3617216)   #1254
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Oh just stop it! Enough of this obfuscation. This all goes back to the misbegotten thought that the 'privateer' can build their own car. They can't, it MUST go through the guidelines set down by FIA in how and who homologates a car, period. If one were to satisfy that process then they could build a car, but, it is far from 'homebuilt'!

I think I've explained my point well enough for you to comprehend it. Clearly I'm wrong... so... let me show you in clear text.

The manufacturer DOESN'T have to build the car. A privateer can. It must simply not be one of the previously homologated models that currently maintains a valid homologation.

Part of the approval process is petitioning the manufacturer to approve said car within the SRO group.

If they do, go racing.

Here is a list of privateer/tuner approved cars who have raced GT3.

Lamborghini, Gallardo LP600+ GT3, Includes Gallardo FL2 GT3 and R-EX
Ford Mustang VDS GT3
Corvette Callaway Z06.R GT3
Jaguar XKR GT3(Emil Frey)
Ford GT GT3(Matech)

There are others.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 24 Feb 2016, 05:38 (Ref:3617227)   #1255
JoestEver
Rookie

JoestEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Maserati GranTurismo GT3 and Reiter Camaro GT3 also FIA homologated? I'm pretty sure there's not a single drop of manufacturer involvement there. In other words, they are home tuned GT3s.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 05:42 (Ref:3617231)   #1256
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think I've explained my point well enough for you to comprehend it. Clearly I'm wrong... so... let me show you in clear text.

The manufacturer DOESN'T have to build the car. A privateer can. It must simply not be one of the previously homologated models that currently maintains a valid homologation.

Part of the approval process is petitioning the manufacturer to approve said car within the SRO group.

If they do, go racing.

Ford Mustang VDS GT3
Ford GT GT3(Matech)

There are others.
Which is exactly what my first post on the subject said, "GT3 is homologated through FIA and are subject to those guidlines.". Yet you took exception to it and have been arguing against it since. Now you prove my point with your "list of APPROVED privateer/tuners".

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 05:43 (Ref:3617232)   #1257
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If they do, go racing.

Ford Mustang VDS GT3
Ford GT GT3(Matech)

There are others.
You really are not listening (there are people on here that actually know what they are talking about). All of the cars you mention except the latter Lambos were homologated under the 'old' rules where a tuner could homologate a car without the manufacturers approval. Under those rules if the manufacturer wanted to homologate a car AFTER the tuner had done it then the tuners homologation was null and void.

Reiter had approval to homologate the Gallardo, the do not have approval to do the Hurracan.

The rules changed in 2012/13? to what we now have. You have to have a letter from the manufacturer authorising you to homologate their car. The FIA will side with the manufacturer every time.

I know of some companies that have been approached, and have refused.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 05:49 (Ref:3617237)   #1258
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
This is a pointless argument guys. Let's talk about the unseen Honda or something
Old 24 Feb 2016, 06:17 (Ref:3617248)   #1259
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
All of the cars you mention except the latter Lambos were homologated under the 'old' rules where a tuner could homologate a car without the manufacturers approval. Under those rules if the manufacturer wanted to homologate a car AFTER the tuner had done it then the tuners homologation was null and void.

Reiter had approval to homologate the Gallardo, the do not have approval to do the Hurracan.

The rules changed in 2012/13? to what we now have. You have to have a letter from the manufacturer authorising you to homologate their car. The FIA will side with the manufacturer every time.

Actually, what was the reason for changing that rule?
Old 24 Feb 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3617318)   #1260
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post

I did not realise it was that recent, cheers for that info.

I think several of those cars had the blessing of the manufacturer; certainly the Apex Jaguars and Matech Fords did (didn't Ford build them some extra chassis at one point?) and I'm sure some of the others would have asked, even if it wasn't an FIA requirement.

With the success of the formula, it wouldn't surprise me that the rule has been put in place to try to encourage the manufacturers' involvement. For instance, they would surely prefer a works F-Type with manufacturer backing/support to another privately built one.

Excellent DSC interview with Lorenz Frey about their relationship with Jaguar and being denied the chance to do an F-Type (my interpretation) here:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...r-options.html
Old 24 Feb 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3617360)   #1261
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
FIA + manufacturers = greed. Again. Nothing to do with sport.

Why do people still have to ask...
Old 28 Feb 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3618388)   #1262
merak1974
Racer

Norway
Oslo
merak1974 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestEver View Post
Is the Maserati GranTurismo GT3 and Reiter Camaro GT3 also FIA homologated? I'm pretty sure there's not a single drop of manufacturer involvement there. In other words, they are home tuned GT3s.
The Maserati GranTurismo GT3 is listed as FIA homologated until 2020 (http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...04.02.2016.pdf). The GT3 was developed by Swiss Team, but seemingly in agreement with the factory.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 08:43 (Ref:3621144)   #1263
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know if the Camaros are racing anywhere? PWC GTA? AusGT? ADAC GT?
Old 8 Mar 2016, 11:44 (Ref:3621179)   #1264
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last i saw was on first round on 2015 ADAC GT
http://www.webcarstory.com/voiture.php?id=20079
Old 8 Mar 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3621219)   #1265
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
One ran Highlands 101 late last year.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3621279)   #1266
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gallardo REX

Anybody have any information about the Gallardo REX that Rieter is bringing to Paul Ricard for the test?

Must be an evolution of the Gallardo EX i would assume
Old 8 Mar 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3621306)   #1267
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
Anybody have any information about the Gallardo REX that Rieter is bringing to Paul Ricard for the test?

Must be an evolution of the Gallardo EX i would assume

The R-EX ran in Blancpain last year, and PWC. It's an evolution from Reiter.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3621501)   #1268
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
The R-EX ran in Blancpain last year, and PWC. It's an evolution from Reiter.
Indeed
http://www.webcarstory.com/voiture.php?id=19734
Old 14 Mar 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3622727)   #1269
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Porsche 991 GT3 R has grown some dive planes.

Old 14 Mar 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3622739)   #1270
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Does anyone have any news about the GT3 NSX? Beside the rumour that it will be shown at the New York autoshow?
Old 14 Mar 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3622770)   #1271
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
The Porsche 991 GT3 R has grown some dive planes.

I love seeing cars on track with snow!
Old 16 Mar 2016, 12:07 (Ref:3623234)   #1272
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dito. Just as with the Kremer K3, there is something so cool about seing a race car going through a snowy landscape.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 01:57 (Ref:3626158)   #1273
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Acura NSX GT3 will debut 3/23/16 at NYC Auto Show.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3626364)   #1274
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
http://sportscar365.com/gt/acura-nsx-gt3-launched/
Old 23 Mar 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3626380)   #1275
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the news regarding Acura NSX GT3 reveal, yet it seems that there won't be a hybrid system installed. I guess Honda didn't convince both FIA and ACO on allowing hybrids in GT racing.

On the other hand, I feel that the NSX GT3 car will have its hybrid system in Super GT replacing the CR-Z GT300 car.