Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Nov 2003, 20:28 (Ref:798409)   #26
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read in the Indianapolis Star on Friday that Alex Barron has signed with Cheever for 2004. Thank God he has a ride!

Oops I forgot- also, Ed Carpenter will test in the second car at Phoenix.

Last edited by racefanatic; 29 Nov 2003 at 20:30.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 20:15 (Ref:802989)   #27
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's an interesting article....

http://www.motorsportsforum.com/cont...?threadid=8455

few interesting rumors.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 21:03 (Ref:803038)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you cn add a few to the list given the news about the CART sale to OWRS and their stock taking a serious dive into the tank today....

Unless those CART teams choose to buy sportscars or prototypes and run in the ALMS next year....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 21:17 (Ref:803055)   #29
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe I heard a Pat Patrick to IRL rumor, but don't recall where I read that, sorry. While I'd like the IRL to pick up some teams, I really hope ALMS benefits from this as well.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 14:52 (Ref:803792)   #30
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Patrick rumour is in that site (they suggest Al Jr as possible driver), as is the notion of Hemelgarn folding. Fisher has been linked to a few teams, she may stay at D&R.

Out of the CART teams, I think most would favour ALMS - certainly Forsythe, Rocketsports, Fitipaldi-Dingman, Herdez and Paul Newman would be unlikely to run IRL cars. I'm not sure how many of the CART drivers have enough oval experience to be priority signings. One name I'd love to see involved is Max Papis.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 15:00 (Ref:803801)   #31
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the co-owners of Herdez Competition, Keith Wiggins, has said they would consider the IRL in case CART does fold.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 16:51 (Ref:803902)   #32
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't be so quick to add any CART teams to the IRL list... looking at what's come out today, the news of the OWRS deal falling through might actually be a good one as far as a 2004 season for CART is concerned. As it stands now, there are zero CART teams planning on IRL entries next year. ALL CART teams (not including the now being sold off ASTJ) have said on record that they are committed to a 2004 season...and only legal proceedings can stop (delay) them.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Dec 2003, 20:43 (Ref:804075)   #33
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And they might get those legal proceedings....

The key will be:

Who does CART owe money to? and as Part B

Will they got to court for an injunction to stop CART from selling off assets to OWRS, based on the news of possible bankruptcy?

This could cut both ways....

I hope CART survives...I like both series...

But this news could do nothing more than make a bunch of lawyers rich...and tie up the process for months.....

Old 4 Dec 2003, 21:20 (Ref:804104)   #34
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to its balance sheet, CART owes very little - it's lawsuits (like Fontana) and other potential ones that could come up. I think the change in strategy is designed to get the assets away from the old CART Inc. as quickly as possible so that OWRS can go ahead with 2004...while CART and the lawyers continue to be tied up with lawyers for a few years...cause let's face it'll be a few years.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Dec 2003, 15:27 (Ref:804855)   #35
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All i all, no good perspective for open wheel racing in America for 2004.
Don't agree that fans of a series comfort themselves with the problems of the other one..
Old 5 Dec 2003, 16:00 (Ref:804901)   #36
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a little reminder people, this is not the place to discuss CART, please leave that to it's appropriate forum. Thanks.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 16:45 (Ref:804952)   #37
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saw that AGR have renewed its sponsorship with Motorola. No talk of it being on the third car though. This article says it will be on Kanan's car along with 7-11. Is there or isn't there a third car for AGR?

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=12&nid=82257
Old 5 Dec 2003, 16:47 (Ref:804955)   #38
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I know Tony Kanaan, Dan Wheldon and Dario Franchitti have all been confirmed for 2004.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 21:21 (Ref:805147)   #39
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
You're right, rustyfan...

Dario was the last one confirmed just about a week or so ago....

Old 6 Dec 2003, 00:02 (Ref:805256)   #40
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Yup, but there was no announcemtn on who would sponsor Dario, just that he was signed up I belive. Good to have Motorolla back on board
Old 7 Dec 2003, 07:02 (Ref:805874)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Foyt has lost Harrah's and Conseco. Unless he finds another sponsor he could be out.

I hear hemelgarn is probably gone from a full time basis.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 13:58 (Ref:806012)   #42
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I've read that Pat Patrick is looking to sell off his CART team and start a brand new team in the Indycar Series, with Al Unser jr as the driver.

Would be good to have another team come aboard and keep Al racing, I hope a deal comes together for this.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 09:42 (Ref:807317)   #43
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Perhaps it's time to update the list, altering the format a bit (putting in comments with known & rumored changes to the team for 2004). As usual, keep in mind that the below is compiled of both confirmed reports and rumors, and should be taken as such. The question marks are there for a reason.

Access Motorsports
-----------------------------------
#1 - Greg Ray, USA

(No known changes. Reports suggest the team would like to field a second car if possible.)

AJ Foyt Enterprises?
#1 - AJ Foyt IV, USA?

(Sponsorless? With the problems his NEXTEL Cup team currently is experiencing (also losing its sponsor), which series will he try to stay in - NASCAR or IndyCar? Will AJ really stick with AJ Foyt IV?)

Andretti Green Racing
#1 - Tony Kanaan, BRA
#2 - Dan Wheldon, GBR
#3 - Dario Franchitti, GBR

(Drivers and sponsors signed for 2004. Some rumors suggest, however, that Franchitti is desperately trying to get out of his contract.)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#1 - Robbie Buhl, USA
#2 - Sarah Fisher, USA?

(Buhl secure for 2004? Some reports suggest that Fisher, granted sufficient sponsorship can be found, will be back with the team for 2004.)

Hemelgarn Racing
#1 - Richie Hearn, USA?

(Lazier out. Hearn in? Sponsor out? Team stepping down to a partial schedule?)

Kelley Racing
#1 - Scott Sharp, USA

(Scaling back to a one-car team for 2004.)

Marlboro Team Penske
#1 - Helio Castroneves, BRA
#2 - Sam Hornish Jr., USA

(De Ferran retired. Sam Hornish Jr. takes his place. No other changes.)

Mo Nunn Racing
#1 - ?
#2 - Tora Takagi, JPN

(Giaffone and Hollywood out. Scaling back to a one-car operation? Mo Nunn leaving IndyCar for CART?)

Panther Racing
#1 - Tomas Scheckter, RSA
#2 - Mark Taylor, GBR

(Hornish Jr. leaves for Penske - Scheckter comes in to take his place, leaving Ganassi. Panther merges with Menard, bringing up IPS Champion Mark Taylor to take the seat.)

Patrick Racing?
#1 - Al Unser Jr., USA?

(Reports suggest Pat Patrick is looking at selling off his CART team to Emerson Fittipaldi, while launching a new IndyCar team campaigning Al Unser Jr. for 2004.)

PDM Racing
#1 - Ed Carpenter, USA?

(Little known at the moment. Carpenter has tested for Team Cheever.)

Red Bull Cheever Racing
#1 - Alex Barron, USA
#2 - ?

(Going back to a two-car team for 2004? Alex Barron - apparently - finally signed for a full-time drive. Ed Carpenter has tested for the team - might be in line to drive the second car?)

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing
#1 - Roger Yasukawa, USA?
#2 - Kousuke Matsuura, JPN?

(No solid reports as of yet. SAFR is hoping to enter a second car, depending on sponsorship. Matsuura has been testing for the team at Phoenix.)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#1 - Scott Dixon, NZL
#2 - Darren Manning, GBR

(Tomas Scheckter leaves Ganassi for Panther Racing. Darren Manning joins the team, coming in from CART.)

Team Rahal
#1 - Bryan Herta, USA?
#2 - ?

(With Kenny recovering from injuries, Bryan Herta is a likely choice to sub for him. Rahal has expressed interest in launching a second team granted sponsorship can be secured.)
Old 16 Dec 2003, 19:12 (Ref:813333)   #44
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Looks like you can add Herta to the AGR stable, rusty
Old 16 Dec 2003, 19:40 (Ref:813358)   #45
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Looks like you can add Herta to the AGR stable, rusty
Indeed

Access Motorsports
#1 - Greg Ray, USA
#2 - ?

(No known changes. Reports suggest the team would like to field a second car if possible.)

AJ Foyt Enterprises?
#1 - AJ Foyt IV, USA?

(Sponsorless? With the problems his NEXTEL Cup team currently is experiencing (also losing its sponsor), which series will he try to stay in - NASCAR or IndyCar? Will AJ really stick with AJ Foyt IV?)

Andretti Green Racing
#1 - Tony Kanaan, BRA
#2 - Dan Wheldon, GBR
#3 - Dario Franchitti, GBR
#4 - Bryan Herta, USA

(Drivers and sponsors signed for 2004. Some rumors suggest, however, that Franchitti is desperately trying to get out of his contract. Bryan Herta is confirmed as the team's fourth full-time driver.)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#1 - Robbie Buhl, USA
#2 - Sarah Fisher, USA?

(Buhl secure for 2004? Some reports suggest that Fisher, granted sufficient sponsorship can be found, will be back with the team for 2004.)

Hemelgarn Racing
#1 - Richie Hearn, USA?

(Lazier out. Hearn in? Sponsor out? Team stepping down to a partial schedule?)

Kelley Racing
#1 - Scott Sharp, USA

(Scaling back to a one-car team for 2004.)

Marlboro Team Penske
#1 - Helio Castroneves, BRA
#2 - Sam Hornish Jr., USA

(De Ferran retired. Sam Hornish Jr. takes his place. No other changes.)

Mo Nunn Racing
#1 - ?
#2 - Tora Takagi, JPN?

(Giaffone and Hollywood out. Scaling back to a one-car operation? Mo Nunn leaving IndyCar for CART?)

Panther Racing
#1 - Tomas Scheckter, RSA
#2 - Mark Taylor, GBR

(Hornish Jr. leaves for Penske - Scheckter comes in to take his place, leaving Ganassi. Panther merges with Menard, bringing up IPS Champion Mark Taylor to take the seat.)

Patrick Racing?
#1 - Al Unser Jr., USA?

(Reports suggest Pat Patrick is looking at selling off his CART team to Emerson Fittipaldi, while launching a new IndyCar team campaigning Al Unser Jr. for 2004.)

PDM Racing
#1 - Ed Carpenter, USA?

(Little known at the moment. Carpenter has tested for Team Cheever.)

Red Bull Cheever Racing
#1 - Alex Barron, USA
#2 - ?

(Going back to a two-car team for 2004? Alex Barron - apparently - finally signed for a full-time drive. Ed Carpenter has tested for the team - might be in line to drive the second car?)

Super Aguri Fernandez Racing
#1 - Roger Yasukawa, USA?
#2 - Kousuke Matsuura, JPN?

(No solid reports as of yet. SAFR is hoping to enter a second car, depending on sponsorship. Matsuura has been testing for the team at Phoenix.)

Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#1 - Scott Dixon, NZL
#2 - Darren Manning, GBR

(Tomas Scheckter leaves Ganassi for Panther Racing. Darren Manning joins the team, coming in from CART.)

Team Rahal
#1 - ?
#2 - ?

(Kenny Bräck is recovering from injuries sustained at Texas, and with Bryan Herta going to AGR it is a total guess to whom might substitute for Bräck. Rahal has expressed interest in launching a second team granted sponsorship can be secured.)
Old 16 Dec 2003, 19:56 (Ref:813372)   #46
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
This does indeed put a question mark over Team Rahal - assuming Kenny won't be back before Homestead, who could sub for him? There are pleanty of capable drivers out there - Hearn, Meria, the Lazier brothers, Boat et all...any one of them would be a good choice.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:00 (Ref:813374)   #47
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
And what about Airton Dare? He's fully healed now (as far as I know anyway) and he's a very capable driver as well. Speaking of Dare, I think AJ Foyt should drop AJ Foyt IV (or at least send him back down into the IPS for another go) and put Dare in the car instead. That's assuming Foyt will be back next year of course.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:05 (Ref:813379)   #48
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Woops, forgot about Dare. Havn't heard much from him during his revovery...but yes, he is more capable an AJIV. AJ did win the IPS championship, so he must be of some merit but I think he was brought into Indycars far too early...Dare would be a better choise, as long as Foyt's team doesn't go down the pan.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 23:43 (Ref:813611)   #49
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss Airton Dare! He needs a good ride. I hope he finds one next season.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:08 (Ref:813932)   #50
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
The most recent bit of info about Dare I can find is that he had minor additional surgery (presumably just to correct something related to his previous injury) on December 3rd and was released the day after.