Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 14 May 2004, 08:10 (Ref:970609)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buddy Lazier set to drive for Beck Motorsports, Third Penske entry?

IRL-Live reports:

Beck Motorsports could make a driver announcement Thursday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The driver is expected to be Buddy Lazier and the announcement is expected to include sponsorship by Curb Records. Greg Beck said the deal is in place but the car will not go out on the speedway until next week. Beck Motorsports is starting to move into its garage at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway but there was very little equipment in place as of Wednesday.

Great stuff. The 1996 Indy 500 Champ really desrves a ride this year, and hopefully will put his rather unsuccsesful 2003 behind him, if it gets confirmed

IRL-Live also reports:

Penske Team President Tim Cindric is not ruling out the No. 66 Penske G-Force eventually hitting the track, just "not by one of our drivers."

The G-Force chassis has been impressive in the first three days of practice and there has been speculation that Penske might try to send Sam Hornish Jr. out again in the chassis to give it another try. Gil de Ferran won the 2003 Indy 500 in a G-Force and Hornish shook down the G-Force for a few laps in the April open test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Helio Castroneves did a few laps in a G-Force in 2003 in practice and decided he preferred the Dallara chassis and has said he would not consider switching.

Cindric said the timing just has not been right for the team to put an effort into running two different chassis this year so the Penske primary drivers would continue running Dallara's.

Just a rumor at this point, but if the car goes make the race then who will be the driver?

Last edited by Down F0rce; 14 May 2004 at 08:12.
Old 14 May 2004, 08:40 (Ref:970642)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With so many available drivers it's hard to predict; Although I wouldn't exclude that they might sell the chassis to some lastminute newcomer, I think this kind of behaviour shows Roger's superego, who doesn't want his wins to be shared to anyone else, to mean that it's Penske who win , not that chassis or driver.
Old 14 May 2004, 08:44 (Ref:970647)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... and about possible drivers, one could be .., well they're not so numerous actually , I mean, those able to contend for a Penske's seat.
What about Jacques Villeneuve?
Old 14 May 2004, 08:46 (Ref:970651)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Seriously on topic, maybe Airton Dare is more likely..
Old 14 May 2004, 09:14 (Ref:970683)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I hope Buddy can get a drive
Old 14 May 2004, 09:49 (Ref:970714)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read at the IndyStar.com today that Beck Motorsports and Lazier have yet to sign anything, but I reckon they are still working on the deal.
Old 14 May 2004, 13:27 (Ref:970917)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Curb Records sponsorship is interesting, because in 2001 the team ran Billy Boat, but he left in 2002 to set up a team with Mike Curv, which suggests that those wounds have now been healed. Good of Billy to step aside from the seat if this is the case.

Last year the third Penske went to Sam Schmidt's team, maybe that will happen again? Either way, we need mroe cars.
Old 14 May 2004, 14:30 (Ref:970974)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Sam Schmidt? Yes it could work
Old 14 May 2004, 14:41 (Ref:970984)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking of Sam Schmidt - from the IndyStar.com;

Quote:
Team owner Sam Schmidt, who last year leased an Indy 500 car from Roger Penske to help fill the field, isn't inclined to do that again.

"Last year, I was really motivated to do it," he said. "But I'm more focused now on the (Menards Infiniti Pro Series). It would have to be a really easy deal to do and I don't see a lot of those out there."

With a grin, he added: "But talk to me again on the 23rd (the last day of qualifying)."
Old 14 May 2004, 14:57 (Ref:970996)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
I read at the IndyStar.com today that Beck Motorsports and Lazier have yet to sign anything, but I reckon they are still working on the deal.
In either Wednesday's or Thursday's Indy Star, the word was that Mo Nunn and Dreyer & Reinbold (if they have an opportunity to run a sencond car) also are strongly considering Buddy Lazier to occupy a seat for them....

On last night's TV newstacst here, Mr. Beck said everything is in place (including the sponsor deal) and he's just waiting on Buddy to make the decision....

Personally, I think Nunn (who said "Unless $$$ comes forward" he won't run the 2nd car) is waiting to see if the IRL will help fund some additional rides....

and although they are not a "Big Budget" team, Dreyer & Reinbold could probably field a "one-shot" sencond car for Indy only...

Time is on Buddy's side, since Monday and Tuesday are both "off days" at IMS...no practice or activity...

He has to be on more than one "short list" to take any available ride that comes up, and he could easily be looking at "which team would be my best choice..."

It is all up to Buddy...

because Beck said directly in those TV interviews that everything else is a "GO"

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 May 2004, 15:31 (Ref:971021)   #11
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Ray is also waiting. This article makes it clear he wants some support.

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/ne...?story_id=2727

The fact that Indy will be two rows shy of a full grid after Pole Day, has everyone who is borderline angling to get whatever deal they can cut with the Speedway or get discounted by the engine companies.

We shall see.
Old 14 May 2004, 15:57 (Ref:971053)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Guess we'll really find out if "33 is just a number," won't we???

Old 14 May 2004, 19:59 (Ref:971231)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Guess we'll really find out if "33 is just a number," won't we???
Hmmm, on the subject of 33 cars, a question was brought up on Windtunnel the other night by a caller, saying, is it realistic to expect to be able to field 33 cars, let alone have a true bump day, when the IRL is only running 18-20 cars for the rest of the races?

Dave didn't think so, and he also went on to say, since the cars are basically the same cars that are run all season by the IRL, do we really need a full month of practise to get them right? Its not like the old days where guys showed up with some truly unique rides.

Interesting questions.

Danica Patrick
Old 14 May 2004, 20:02 (Ref:971235)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Hmmm, on the subject of 33 cars, a question was brought up on Windtunnel the other night by a caller, saying, is it realistic to expect to be able to field 33 cars, let alone have a true bump day, when the IRL is only running 18-20 cars for the rest of the races?

Dave didn't think so, and he also went on to say, since the cars are basically the same cars that are run all season by the IRL, do we really need a full month of practise to get them right? Its not like the old days where guys showed up with some truly unique rides.

Interesting questions.
To a degree, yes....

But listen to many of the drivers out there this week, and they're saying that they're still trying to get a handle on things....and it hasn't been easy to do...

The Brickyard is a very different animal depending or air tempertature, humidity and track temperature....and there are many ways to get around Indy...but only a few of them are Fast....

Old 14 May 2004, 20:05 (Ref:971239)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Have to agree to an extent, as Penske's failure to qualify in 95 attests...
But if so many other traditions are no longer traditional, I must also agree that an entire month no longer seems necessary.
Old 14 May 2004, 20:16 (Ref:971247)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Have to agree to an extent, as Penske's failure to qualify in 95 attests...
But if so many other traditions are no longer traditional, I must also agree that an entire month no longer seems necessary.

That's my major bone to pick with Tony George...."Tradition" is the key to the whole mystique about the race and the place....

At Indy, I can't tell you how many times (following a rain delay on Quals Day, or a Rain delay for the Race) I've seen them diddle-fart around with various ceremonies and marching bands and the Parade of the Queens and such when weather conditions were good to go for the Race...because it was on the Traditional schedule...only to have the race just get ready to go and the skie sopen up again....

They would waste dry weather time for nonsense...

But tradition is also what makes the place special...and different....

and the event itself (including what leads up to it) so unique in motorsports....

Tony has lost that sense of tradition somewhere along the line....

and I'll bet his grandfather was spinning in his grave when "33" just became anothr number....

I don't know if it takes a whole month to do it....but it takes more than a weekend....

What about a guy like Robby Gordon or Bruno???

Would Bruno (who is a good driver) be able to come to Indy with a few days of work and have a shot at making it??? or being competitive????

Old 14 May 2004, 23:11 (Ref:971394)   #17
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mo said today the only way he'll run a second car is if someone brings $ 400,000.
Old 14 May 2004, 23:15 (Ref:971397)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
Mo said today the only way he'll run a second car is if someone brings $ 400,000.

Hmmm, that leaves me out, I'm alittle shy this week, how about you guys?

Danica Patrick
Old 17 May 2004, 02:35 (Ref:972934)   #19
therealdeal
Rookie

United States
Miami, FL
therealdeal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pj jones will run for beck motorsports!!!!!!!!
Old 17 May 2004, 02:47 (Ref:972940)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yes This one has also come out of the blue , here we were discussing about Buddy Lazier getting the drive and it turns out beck Motorsports will run PJ Jones in the 500.

I believe this is the first time at Indy for PJ (I could be wrong) but I wish him well
Old 17 May 2004, 03:00 (Ref:972946)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
7 spots left

there are 7 places remaining on the grid for the 500 , so who will take up those positions.

One for sure will be PJ Jones driving for Beck Motorsports (announced today) but the other 6 are still undecided.

Greg Ray is still around and put his car through inspection , im sure he will get out there , you cant just sit Indy out when you have a car ready to run.

Marty Roth still isnt in the show either and after a shaky start at Indy seems to have found a little bit more pace in practice.

Not sure if I missed anyone there.

Without a ride

there are a few guys wandering around looking for rides that could fill the seats.

Buddy Lazier of course is there along with his brother Jaques.
Robbie McGhee is also there and ESPN were trying to push him in the direction of Panther (Whom he drove at Indy for last year)

and Roberto Moreno is also there and was linked with the Fernandez outfit but doesnt think they will get things together in time.

Even Arie Luyendyk is there but had this quote
"ARIE LUYENDYK: “I'm not really looking, so probably nothing will happen. For the right reason and the right deal I would (get in a car). But I wouldn't do it just to make up the field.”

and im sure there are more there that I dont know about.

its getting down to crunch time now and I think we will see a full 33 car field for sure , just when it gets sorted is anyones guess.

Also of note the spare Penske car went through inspection today as well , completely devoid of all cancer stick logo's and Roger apparently is considering his options with this car.

I wonder who that would go to ?
Old 17 May 2004, 07:20 (Ref:973014)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
I'm sure TG will move something; ok 33 can be "just a number", but 26 pr 27 is very much less!!
Old 17 May 2004, 08:23 (Ref:973059)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Memo Gidley and Jimmy Kite are two other drivers 'on location', looking for a ride. Kite has been talking a lot with PDM.
Old 17 May 2004, 08:25 (Ref:973062)   #24
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
I believe this is the first time at Indy for PJ (I could be wrong) but I wish him well
Yes, it will be if he qualifies. He was going to qualify for the 2002 race but broke his back in a practice crash and had to sit out.
Old 17 May 2004, 08:45 (Ref:973082)   #25
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Let's hope the number 30 at least will be reached. Fingers crossed