Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 Mar 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1263458)   #51
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Last night on Wind Tunnel Robin Miller stated that Sam Schmidt has found sponsorship and will be running Richie Hearn at the 500.

I think "Bump Day" might be interesting to watch this year!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1263477)   #52
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the Playa del deal with J. Lazier is not going to jappen anyway??

Too sad....
Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1263794)   #53
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Schmidt entry will be sponsored by Meijer and Coca-Cola...

Meijer was Robby Gordon's sponsor last year....

Wonder what Robby is going to do???

He's not having a lot of fun in NASCAR right now....and may be too busy trying to get competitive there to take a shot at the 500 this year....

I think it'll be close to get to 33....but I'm hoping it will be more....

Entries are supposed to be postmarked by This friday, aren't they???

Thus, we should see an entry list by mid-April at the latest....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1263804)   #54
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even then, there will be plenty of time for teams to add extra cars before Bump Day, so it's not a disaster if it's less than 33.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1263818)   #55
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
The Schmidt entry will be sponsored by Meijer and Coca-Cola...

Meijer was Robby Gordon's sponsor last year....

Wonder what Robby is going to do???

He's not having a lot of fun in NASCAR right now....and may be too busy trying to get competitive there to take a shot at the 500 this year....
I'm beginning not to care what Robbie is going to do anymore. I always rooted him on in the past, but his recent comments about the new start time for the Indy 500 kind of turned me off. He basically said that the new start time would hurt the 500's chances of getting more NASCAR drivers into the race, and he said that the race needs them. That's the part that got me. We need them. I hate to think that the Coca-Cola 600 is more important than the Indy 500, but it seems that Robbie thinks it is.

He seem's to really have gone NASCAR on us, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's a no show for the race.

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1263822)   #56
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he was referring more to the fact that it creates a big story line that goes outside of normal auto racing media coverage....

Every year, there have been mentions of the guys who are doing the "double" in such diverse places at Good Morning America, Fox and Friends, and even the Weather Channel....

I didn't take as much offense to it as others did...

Old 29 Mar 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1264444)   #57
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robby Gordon would be at Indy if he could be. The time change plus ownership responcibilities are the factor that will keep him from doing the double this year. He needs to concentrate on his Nascar effort as so far things have not gone well and the sponsor expects more for their money than a series of blown engines. Speaking on blown engines I wonder if those "free" engines he has been getting from Menard are thought of as being so "free " now with all the failures? I would expect by the time the World 600 comes around he will have a different engine supplier if the MEG engines keep exploding. I heard a rumor that most of the problems have been associated with crank balancing, or the lack thereof. No excuse IMO

Last edited by Team Owner; 29 Mar 2005 at 17:25.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1264466)   #58
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for the additional insight, Team Owner...that was my specualtion as well concerning the possibility of having him here in May as well...

Concerning his engine program with Menard, equally inexcusable, IMO, was the intake manifold that didn't meet NASCAR specs at Daytona....a huge mistake that surely could have and should have been avoided, and I believe definitely cost him a shot at making the Daytona 500 field....he still almost got in via the Qualifier race, but just got nosed out at the finish for the final "non-exempt" spot in the field with a rigged makeshift manifold he had to get from another team that allegedly didn't line up properly with the intake ports on the engine itself...

and I would agree on your point about the cranks.....balancing them properly is a basic required element that must be done to a high-powered racing motor, and to do it improperly...or not at all (lack thereof)... is inexcusable....period....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 29 Mar 2005 at 17:51.

Old 30 Mar 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1264953)   #59
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is someone able to set up a provisional updated list?
Old 30 Mar 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1265085)   #60
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Last night on Wind Tunnel Robin Miller stated that Sam Schmidt has found sponsorship and will be running Richie Hearn at the 500.

I think "Bump Day" might be interesting to watch this year!
Lets hope so
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1265365)   #61
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll have a bash at a provisional list.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1265455)   #62
Team Owner
Racer

As small update to the Playa Del Racing/Jaques Lazier deal. A check for the chassis was delivered by private courier to Ganassi today but it hasn't cleared the bank yet. This according to a friend of mine at TCGR.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1265501)   #63
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Let's hope that it isn't "Vulcanized".....

To be certain, this is just for Indy...correct???

Old 30 Mar 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1265733)   #64
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I still cannot understand how a team like Playa cannot get a deal done to run the whole season. Look at the heavy hitting sponsors they have - DHL, Sirius Radio, National Car Rental, Champion Trailers, Speedster Motorcars, i-Fanz, and a couple of others. These sponsors must have signed on expecting to get a hell-of-a-better deal than they've gotten from this team so far.

So who are these mysterious people, and why can't they get a deal done for the rest of the season?

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Mar 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1265745)   #65
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:

I understand that this deal may be for Indy, Chicago, Michigan and Fontana.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1265748)   #66
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
It is not a full season, but that is good news to add a few more events beyond Indy....

Old 30 Mar 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1265749)   #67
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Question:

Is Marty "Don Quixote" Roth planning a return for the 500???

Old 31 Mar 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1265829)   #68
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Question:

Is Marty "Don Quixote" Roth planning a return for the 500???

Yes. They have the car Marty ran last year and it has been updated. They were closed to signing an engine deal last week with Toyota.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 00:22 (Ref:1265836)   #69
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Speed is reporting that Penske is planning a 3 car effort for Indy this year!

It will have Toyota power, but the chassis it will use is remains undecided, and the driver remains un-named.

Great news!

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Apr 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1276695)   #70
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The Official List is now Available on the Indy 500 Site:

36 entries with 33 drivers listed...

The three entries without drivers thus far are:

PDM Racing -- Listed as a Dallara Chevy

Curb/Agajanian/Beck -- Listed as a Dallara Chevy

The Penske Third Car...

and yes...Mr. Haas returns to the brickyard with two cars..one for Bruno and one for SeaBass...Panoz Hondas

Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1277637)   #71
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always thought we would have 33 entries. The bigger question (for me) was would we get number 33 at the last minute (at which the trolls would have had another field day) & would there be any bumping?
I am glad to see a definate 33 driver line up, but will the other teams enter the TBA cars, or were they just insurance in case 33 became a bit difficult?
I am pretty new to Indycar racing & have only been into motor racing at all since '95, so Le Mans aside, I have not seen the true passion of a DNQ.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1278418)   #72
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I find it amazing that TG picked this year, which could be the best Bump Day in a long time, to make his famous statement, "33 is just a number"! I bet he wishes he hadn't said that!

Danica Patrick
Old 11 May 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1298258)   #73
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
This issue may just surface again, based on the following news items:

1. Scott Mayer, as you probably figured out by now, did not pass the final phase of his rookie test...Brian barnhart has removed him from the participation list

2. PDM Racing will pool their resources with Marty Roth for this year's 500...Why?
I'm not sure, but my guess is that Roth couldn't land an engine deal, and PDM had Chevy engines, but no $$$ or driver...

3. Beck Motorsports has everything but a driver and the funds to race....they are hoping that someone like P.J. Jones or Arie Luyendyke Jr. can come up with enough $$$ to take the seat

We HAD 33 drivers with Scott Mayer....now we have 32...and one of the TBA's for team entries has pooled its efforts with another entrant to be able to run...

Old 11 May 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1298430)   #74
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Of course, A.J could sell Scott Mayer's seat to anyone in the garage area who can bring some cash to the table...

but basically there are 34 teams now and 32 drivers....

at least as it stands right now...and I haven't heard any word yet about who might be wandering in Gasoline Alley with a helmet in hnad to try to land a seat....

Old 11 May 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1298468)   #75
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A third Foyt car will probably now only surface if it's needed to fill the grid, whcih is unlikely. The chances of Penske being allowed to run a third car if it will bump a Foyt car out of the field are also quite low. Reastically we could be stuck with only 33 this year, which would be a great shame, but at least none of those are last-minute deals, and there is still a real chance of extras coming together over the next few weeks.