Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 30 Apr 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1903188)   #51
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Howdy Holmes was ROTY in '79 on the basis that he was the only rookie in the field. Everyone disses Bedard, but forgets that in 1984 he outqualified Emerson Fittipaldi...
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:32 (Ref:1903230)   #52
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I still think Pat was in over his head - he had pretty decent equipment as I recall due to funding...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1903296)   #53
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
She did a good job today. Looks like she has a strong crew behind her as well.
She did a reasonable job I suppose, only six laps down, but most importantly, didn't cause any problems.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1903409)   #54
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
The dentist was Dr. Jack Miller.

An interesting story about his IRL effort:

The good doctor was sponsored by Crest toothpaste.

The story I've heard is that instead of money, Crest gave him a bulk amount of their product for the sponsorship, and to convert that into cash to fund his team, he sold it via the black market in Russia...

That was the story that was circulating in Indy anyway...
True or not, that's an excellent story!
Old 30 Apr 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1903643)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Milka caused no problems which was the main thing. Being excruciatingly slow matters not if you stay out of the way.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1903844)   #56
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, for me personally the jury is still out. It is encouraging that she was able to keep the shiny-side up, run a decent line and keep an eye on the mirrors.

Lots of folks have done lots worse in their first trip to an oval.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 May 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1904209)   #57
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought she did ok. Took time to bed herself in and then started running laps as quickly as many others out there. A good start really.
Old 1 May 2007, 13:53 (Ref:1904228)   #58
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Yes, Milka caused no problems which was the main thing. Being excruciatingly slow matters not if you stay out of the way.
She wasn't excruciatingly slow, she would have been classified under F1 terms and therefore was faster than Forti. Perhaps an indication that it is not that hard driving an IRL car...

Old 1 May 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1904359)   #59
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, they are the oval equivalent of Formula 3 cars. Underpowered and over grippy. This was the case before the engine capacity cut.
Old 1 May 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1904385)   #60
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
She did a reasonable job I suppose, only six laps down, but most importantly, didn't cause any problems.
Sorry I don't watch the IRL but what does a reasonable job mean? And what does 'ONLY' 6 laps down mean? I know there are some pretty damn poor drivers in the IRL who wouldn't be able to get in the top 20 in UK Formula Ford, but 6 laps down...on an oval.
Old 1 May 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1904524)   #61
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite a few of us were worried she would cause problems.
Fast times at Kansas were in the mid 24 sec range so it doesn't take much to lose a lap. 1 sec a lap would put you down a lap in 24/25 laps. Speed of Weldon was 210 to 212 mph. Milka was running 204 to 206. Weldon was lapping on full throttle for the entire lap with no lifting.
Roth was lapped in 12 laps.
Milka had never driven that fast before her driver's test at Kansas and never in traffic.
Marco Andretti was down to 175 before he parked it!
Old 1 May 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1904559)   #62
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Sorry I don't watch the IRL but what does a reasonable job mean? And what does 'ONLY' 6 laps down mean? I know there are some pretty damn poor drivers in the IRL who wouldn't be able to get in the top 20 in UK Formula Ford, but 6 laps down...on an oval.
Well, she didn't hit anybody, and wasn't a swerving pylon.... So, that was a reasonable job in my opinion. In a 200 lap race, she was six laps down, so three percent off the pace..... Well, not really as bad as one could have expected, given her prior pace in other series.

The most important thing here is that she continues to stay out of the way, drives consistant lines. She will never challenge for a podium, and a top ten would require some major incidents on the track. For Milka Duno, first time out on an oval, I think she performed well.

I still don't think she should be there, but maybe we'll get lucky, and she'll continue to run clean, and maybe even improve in speed.
Old 1 May 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1904631)   #63
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indy isn't Kansas...nowhere near as many racing lines as a wide, high-banked oval like Kansas...

At least she'll have a couple of weeks to turn as many laps as possible in traffic....

Indy is a totally different ballgame...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 May 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1904971)   #64
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Tim: I concur. I was trying to make that point with that Weldon was running flat out.
Old 2 May 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1904987)   #65
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
Tim: I concur. I was trying to make that point with that Weldon was running flat out.
Exactly. Most of the field were at least 1-2% down on Wheldon's speeds so Milka certainly didn't show herself up when she got going.

But at the same time, Indy is most certainly a different matter and she will need every day of practice she can get. It's a suprisingly encouraging start in my view though.
Old 2 May 2007, 16:17 (Ref:1905090)   #66
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, she won't qualify for Indy anyways surely?
Old 2 May 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1905097)   #67
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin
Weldon was lapping on full throttle for the entire lap with no lifting.
Blimey that sounds challenging...
Old 2 May 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1905108)   #68
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well, she won't qualify for Indy anyways surely?
She can't be 34th quickest out of 26.
Old 2 May 2007, 17:13 (Ref:1905149)   #69
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

lol, well here's hoping the entries remain low for her sake!
Old 2 May 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1905169)   #70
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Actually if she can't get close to a semi competitive speed they may not let her run. I think it was last year Marty Roth was told to forget it and he had run before.
Indy will be far far more difficult to go fast at than Kansas.
Old 2 May 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1905183)   #71
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That is a given. I tend to believe she won't be running in the 500.
Old 3 May 2007, 04:40 (Ref:1905534)   #72
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why she won't be. There's a month to get up to speed & she stands a reasonable chance of beating the likes of Herb & Roth so IMO she has a very good chance of getting there. And the team has the whole month to try to make that car competitive.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 3 May 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1905915)   #73
bluefeather
Rookie

bluefeather should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that she'll get in if she demonstrates control, track awareness and run consistent lap times. Speed will come from support from other teams once they see that she is not a risk. It may be expensive help, but help none the less.
Old 3 May 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1905932)   #74
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depends entirely upon how many cars and drivers make an attempt. She just might outrun Herb and/or Roth, but if there are as many as 36 drivers, she may not run faster than someone with more OW experience that could jump into that 36th seat.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 May 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1905951)   #75
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
She is going to find it far more difficult. She is going to have to run 20 to 30 mph faster in the straights than at Kansas. She will not be able to put her foot down and run flat out as she could at Kansas. Indy's turns are all a little different and wind can be a real problem. She may make it but Indy is totally different than Kansas.