Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

View Poll Results: OK then ban, keep or both!
Ban completely 3 5.77%
Keep with Div 1 34 65.38%
Race separate 15 28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Feb 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1841448)   #1
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ban Group B in rallyx, Y or N

How the hell do you do polls!!

Am trying to do a poll among people on here about this Group B thing!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1841528)   #2
jjess
Rookie

jjess should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
group b in rallycross

ya cant get rid of group B, the sound of a 6R4 would be missed too much!
Old 14 Feb 2007, 23:37 (Ref:1841766)   #3
michigan
Rookie

Ireland
michigan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems the logical resolve with this issue is to run the Group B's with Div 1 & then over time if the class becomes too full of Div 1 cars run them seperately. Surely if not the action for the fans (whom the sport was created for) would be dismal. Hard enough to get attendance levels increased without taking away the reason a lot of spectators attend rallycross events. Banning these cars would greatly affect the enthusiasm shown by a lot of loyal fans who revel watching these cars race as it is now the only time these cars are seen performing competitively anymore.They are a major part of motorsport heritage, their development has made rallying and rallycross what it is today.They cannot run stage events and rallycross should feel privelleged to have the Group B cars.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1841928)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I voted to race separately but that's my personal view.

However the fact is that Rallycross needs to showcase new vehicles and if we keep running these in Div one it creates the wrong impression. I also realise we need more cars out there but it could be that the Group B cars are putting the newer car drivers off. Chicken and Egg?

Although my discipline is historic racing I also understand that you can't attract new blood if you keep showing them old products. It is a great shame that Group B was canned (for the right reasons but the wrong excuse) and we do need to see these cars whenever possible. That's why events like Goodwood FoS work so well.

Don't stop them running but give the Div 1 space to new vehicles.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1841949)   #5
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted race seperate.
When two former British Champions, who actually drove these awsome machines, say the time has come to move on I think we should listen to them.

By the way nothing has been said about banning them, just running them in a historic class.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 10:10 (Ref:1841968)   #6
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think this is a a daft question.

Stop and think for a minute - how many times have we seen supercar heats and or finals with pathetic small grids - sometimes only 3 cars starting - now what is the point of that?

And here we are talking about removing the old group B cars to another catagory, its not like Rallycross is awash with money and we have full grids is it?
Old 15 Feb 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1841976)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The other point to note is that there's only one of these cars that regularly runs in with the top cars anyway - so is it worth making a change anyway?
Old 15 Feb 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1841980)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed it is a dilemma which is what I referred to in my post. If these cars aren't around anymore would it increase the number of moderns? Whilst it may be relatively cheap to buy and run a fully prepared Group B car the build cost and running costs of a modern would be about the same IMO simply because the amount of development needed would be less that that which the works spent on the Group B's.

Also if the Group Bs are still allowed isn't that discouraging those who would use a modern car?
Old 15 Feb 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1842078)   #9
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
The other point to note is that there's only one of these cars that regularly runs in with the top cars anyway - so is it worth making a change anyway?
And the person who runs it has already spoken about upgrading to newer machinery in the not so distant future.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 22:11 (Ref:1842615)   #10
DCS
Racer

DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If newer equals better than the problem will solve itself. But to be honest I don't see this happen as group B can benefit from new technology as well.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1843122)   #11
RXfan
Racer

RXfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for keep with div 1 but if numbers of group B started to increase again then i would say run them separate.
Im surprised anyone would want to see them totally banned i have never heard anyone say ban minis, novas or 205s. Christ that would kill the sport!