Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Mar 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3893062)   #1201
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I don’t...

I don't know if that was said tongue in cheek, but if not then I would seriously advise you to reconsider, especially if travelling to Spain.

There they have, like most western European counties, both private and state hospitals. Unlike the UK, though, many if not most of the private hospitals have their own versions of our A & E departments. And, in the case of emergencies, ambulance staff, most of which is privatised as well, do not usually ask the patients, or family and friends, whether you have insurance. So they will just take you to the nearest hospital regardless of whether it is state run or not; and the private hospital will not accept the EHIC as "payment".

Also, it must be borne in mind that the EHIC will not cover you for medical or worse repatriation so you could end up having to fork out for a medical flight back to the UK.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3893064)   #1202
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My point exactly.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3893065)   #1203
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a shame that most people who promote remain seem to think that the EU is just an extension of the UK but as you so elequently explain, it is far from it.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3893070)   #1204
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It is a shame that most people who promote remain seem to think that the EU is just an extension of the UK but as you so elequently explain, it is far from it.

Having lived in Spain for ten years, I am well aware of the differences. Although I loved my time there, it was quite difficult sometimes to understand that life is not the same there as it was in the UK.

One thing that is certainly different in Spain is that about half the working population, whether employed or self employed, plus about the same proportion of those who are retired, all have private health cover. In the past that was because the state system wasn't up to scratch, but over the last 15 years or so, it has improved immeasurably. And that has mainly come about, and this will no doubt upset some, because the government at the time permitted the management of the private hospitals to take over the running of the state ones.

One warning about some state owned hospitals, regardless of who runs it, is that they would expect family and friends to help with non-medical needs, such as providing food and drink to the patient.

Another anomaly, certainly in the Valencia region, is that they have three grades of ambulance that are sent out in cases of emergency. One is very similar to the patient transport vehicles that pick up patients to take them to appointments in the UK. The difference is that in Spain they look identical to the other ambulances, with their flashing lights and so on, and they have stretchers. But the crew are not paramedics so cannot give emergency treatment. Not much use if you are having a heart attack or stroke, etc., but that may be the only ambulance available.

The other two classes have medically trained crew on board, one similar to having first-aid training whilst the other has paramedics but I don't think that they are as highly qualified as those in the UK.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3893078)   #1205
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Apparently , both Jeremy Corbyn & the Hackney Hippo have both signed nearly 20,000 times each ?????????
I presume that’s a joke as it would need 20000 separate registrations and 20000 seperate email addresses to achieve! There were several articles in the press about why a bot would be extremely unlikely to be used for such purpose, due to the way the petition is set up.....

There was a simple reason why I stopped taking out travel insurance- when reaching 65 the premium went up massively! As I don’t have private healthcare either, it falls on the NHS look after any issues. My assumption was that the E111 would extend that to the EU, as that is what it is supposed to do.....

I’ll check premiums again, but am not hopeful of them being affordable....

EDIT! Not as expensive as I expected, most likely because only European cover. Previously it was worldwide or +USA at least.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 24 Mar 2019 at 16:49.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3893081)   #1206
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I presume that’s a joke as it would need 20000 separate registrations and 20000 seperate email addresses to achieve! There were several articles in the press about why a bot would be extremely unlikely to be used for such purpose, due to the way the petition is set up.....

There was a simple reason why I stopped taking out travel insurance- when reaching 65 the premium went up massively! As I don’t have private healthcare either, it falls on the NHS look after any issues. My assumption was that the E111 would extend that to the EU, as that is what it is supposed to do.....

We have EHIC cards, and mine worked well in Tenerife when I broke my leg, having been advised to take a taxi to go to the state hospital rather than an ambulance because the ambulance would take me to the private hospital which was "rubbish". Care was pretty basic but very efficient - just showed my passport and EHIC and was treated quickly.

We also have private insurance (linked with our bank account) which did kick in to arrange me extra seats on the flight home (as my leg was in plaster) and taxis at each end etc. It does cost us extra for Blanche as she is over 70, and mine will doubtless go up in a year or so when I pass that barrier......Worth it for peace of mind, though.

My understanding is that UK Govt is intending that the EHIC scheme should be maintained post Brexit, but of course down to EU - although as UK pays the EU countries much more than they pay us - largely because most hospitals have no system for checking and charging non-UK nationals - it would be in their collective interest to play ball.........so they probably won't
Old 24 Mar 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3893082)   #1207
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

With no medical conditions, annual multi-trip up to 17 days each, about £110, Mike.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3893086)   #1208
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
With no medical conditions, annual multi-trip up to 17 days each, about £110, Mike.
A lot less than that according to my friends the Meerkats...... 3 star rating for £35....... I’m only really interested in the med cover, and it’s £10m.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3893101)   #1209
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3893078]I presume that’s a joke as it would need 20000 separate registrations and 20000 seperate email addresses to achieve! There were several articles in the press about why a bot would be extremely unlikely to be used for such purpose, due to the way the petition is set up.....

The petition set up is the same as when the 2016 one was hijacked by bots .
But the media is so biased they are trying to claim this one is real .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640459

One person claimed to have voted many thousands of times

And you can actually use any false name you want to as many times from the same Email address.
https://t.co/aqQRTrTZlk
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:14 (Ref:3893103)   #1210
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Tel 911S;3893101]
Quote:

The petition set up is the same as when the 2016 one was hijacked by bots .
But the media is so biased they are trying to claim this one is real .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640459

One person claimed to have voted many thousands of times

And you can actually use any false name you want to as many times from the same Email address.
https://t.co/aqQRTrTZlk
There is a lot of information about how the whole thing is a farce .
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...it-news-latest

But those who want to believe will still think it is real .
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3893108)   #1211
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=Tel 911S;3893103]
Quote:

There is a lot of information about how the whole thing is a farce .
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...it-news-latest

But those who want to believe will still think it is real .

I find it difficult to imagine that there are 4 million individual people in the UK who, by now, care enough to discover the petition and make the effort to vote. All in just a few days. And starting from, apparently, nothing.

A manipulation attempt of the first order.

Which perhaps offers a clue about some other topics that are 'managed' in the public domain.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 02:23 (Ref:3893150)   #1212
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
A lot less than that according to my friends the Meerkats...... 3 star rating for £35....... I’m only really interested in the med cover, and it’s £10m.
that can't possibly cover you for motor racing Mike, can it?
Old 25 Mar 2019, 05:36 (Ref:3893162)   #1213
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
that can't possibly cover you for motor racing Mike, can it?
No.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 05:42 (Ref:3893163)   #1214
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
[QUOTE=grantp;3893108]
Quote:

I find it difficult to imagine that there are 4 million individual people in the UK who, by now, care enough to discover the petition and make the effort to vote. All in just a few days. And starting from, apparently, nothing.

A manipulation attempt of the first order.

Which perhaps offers a clue about some other topics that are 'managed' in the public domain.
And the one million (supposedly) that demonstrated yesterday? Hopefully they were real...

Don't get me wrong, I think the 'petition' is a complete waste and obviously like much other internet stuff, went 'viral'......
Old 25 Mar 2019, 06:35 (Ref:3893166)   #1215
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, I’ve no idea of his political leanings, but Mr Duncan Smith gets my vote for arriving at Chequers yesterday in his Morgan! BTW I’ve linked to the Mirror because they’ve got pics and no paywall.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...eresa-14179434
Old 25 Mar 2019, 06:53 (Ref:3893169)   #1216
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The lanes around Chequers are good fun.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3893170)   #1217
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The lanes around Chequers are good fun.
Even in a Morgan?
Old 25 Mar 2019, 07:24 (Ref:3893171)   #1218
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Even in a Morgan?
Watch it!

Great cycling country as well, where was the Boris Bike?
Old 25 Mar 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3893175)   #1219
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, I’ve no idea of his political leanings, but Mr Duncan Smith gets my vote for arriving at Chequers yesterday in his Morgan! BTW I’ve linked to the Mirror because they’ve got pics and no paywall.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...eresa-14179434
He got slated on social media - i.e. type of car = proof of the elite out of touch with the masses.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 08:35 (Ref:3893177)   #1220
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Amazing what some people will complain about on social media. Never mind his policies, let's criticise him for what he drives. Doubtless those are the same people who criticise a woman in the limelight for what she wears. As if it matters ......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Mar 2019, 08:40 (Ref:3893178)   #1221
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A friend of mine was on The March. He reckons Brexit will decimate his business as he sells a lot to Europe at present, and imports a lot from there too. Tarrifs and charges either way will make him uncompetitive.

He has a lot of items in from WTO countries for repair, and has trouble persuading customs that they are "repair" not "purchases". He's worried that this will happen with his European customers too.

I report this purely as a response to the question often asked here "what are the advantages of EU membership?"

Actually I've just thought of the knock on effect. If he doesn't make as much money maybe he won't want awning space from me

Old 25 Mar 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3893180)   #1222
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed, it wouldn't be a smooth change over but these things do get resolved, especially if the tariffs are reduced between us and the EU and vice versa, which I expect will be the plan.

But I think you are the first to enunciate an issue that does demonstrate the advantages of the customs union. It still doesn't explain the advantages of being a state rather than a Sovereign country.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 09:45 (Ref:3893183)   #1223
midgetman
Veteran

Just for the record I agree with you, but it's hard to do anything but sympathise with my friend who will be collateral damage. At his and my end of the trading spectrum, there are not the reserves to ride out even a short term disruption while "these things sort themselves out."

I really am the embodiment of the country as a whole on this. One side of me dislikes the federal state approach, while the other applauds the economic and social convenience.

I'd vote for the EEC/Common Market but abhor the EU. I suspect that this aligns me with UK political personalities that I also detest. Don't you just hate modern life?

Old 25 Mar 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3893185)   #1224
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm the same. I voted for the EEC, I didn't vote for the EU. I may be glass half full on this but I really suspect the difficulties will be resolved in double quick time, since you and your mate are smaller businesses suffering what the larger businesses will suffer, hence the need to resolve pdq.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3893189)   #1225
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Haven't the government already announced more than once that they intend to have zero import tariff on ex-EU goods?