Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Dec 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1174100)   #26
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I've confused this issue - and have probably claimed something that actually didn't happen, for which I spologise. It was a Nov 2 dsc news item, beginning...
"MG-SV For 2005 British GT Championship
The British GT Championship may have suffered with smaller grids in (some) recent years but the variety of makes on display has usually made up for a periodic lack of numbers.

The news that the provisionally named Project-X team is to enter the aggressively styled MG-X Power SV in the 2005 Cup class means that a proud record of racing debuts for British sportscars in the championship looks set to continue next season.

Details of the effort are still coming together…….."

...which was 'taken' and sent out and appeared elsewhere. An official release then followed a few days later, which dsc rewrote and posted as a follow up, with a little more detail. I hope this is clearer. I should have taken more care before posting here.
MC
Old 8 Dec 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1174288)   #27
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No probs - just thought it a bit harsh the team getting a slating for putting out a press release! Fingers crossed for success throughout - BritGT and FIAGT!
Old 17 Dec 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1181952)   #28
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eclipse will be running a Mosler in next years British GT championship and are selling their TVR Tuscan, a 2nd Mosler is also a option. See this article for more details. http://www.eclipsegt.co.uk/cgi-bin/e...ick=viewnews66
Old 17 Dec 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1181985)   #29
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
DSC has a pic of the car in build
Old 17 Dec 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1182077)   #30
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Next years British GT Championship looks like it is going to be even stronger than this year. The LNT project sounds a very interesting one.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1183344)   #31
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello,

I *think* they said ages ago that British GT in 2005 at least was GT2 and GT3 only... doesn't anybody at all have an interest in seeing GT1's flying around? Even if it's not in the new 2005 format...

If I may be allowed to explain, I used to love going to see British GT championship up until the end of 2002, when I was mortified to discover in Autosport that the top class was disappearing for '03. I visited the first rounds of the championship at Donington in 2004, and I don't know if it's improved majorly throughout the year but I thought it was just a shadow of it's former self, the only joy coming from the likes of TVR, the Ecosse ferrari's and the Morgan Aero 8. Everything else was just poor. The N-GT class in '04 was ok, but the cup class was almost painful to watch.

I'm going to go see the championship in '05, afterall it's GT racing, but I can't help but feel awkward about seeing GT2 Ferrari 360s and Porsches battling it out for the lead.... and then coming up to lap a Renault Clio or a Vauxhall.... That just doesn't seem right!!

BTW, I can't remember who ran the car, but will we be seeing an Ultima again in '05? It wasn't at Donington when I paid a visit

cheers,

Martyn
Old 20 Dec 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1183812)   #32
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Hello,

I *think* they said ages ago that British GT in 2005 at least was GT2 and GT3 only... doesn't anybody at all have an interest in seeing GT1's flying around? Even if it's not in the new 2005 format...

If I may be allowed to explain, I used to love going to see British GT championship up until the end of 2002, when I was mortified to discover in Autosport that the top class was disappearing for '03. I visited the first rounds of the championship at Donington in 2004, and I don't know if it's improved majorly throughout the year but I thought it was just a shadow of it's former self, the only joy coming from the likes of TVR, the Ecosse ferrari's and the Morgan Aero 8. Everything else was just poor. The N-GT class in '04 was ok, but the cup class was almost painful to watch.

I'm going to go see the championship in '05, afterall it's GT racing, but I can't help but feel awkward about seeing GT2 Ferrari 360s and Porsches battling it out for the lead.... and then coming up to lap a Renault Clio or a Vauxhall.... That just doesn't seem right!!

BTW, I can't remember who ran the car, but will we be seeing an Ultima again in '05? It wasn't at Donington when I paid a visit

cheers,

Martyn
Martyn

To answer your question about GT1 machinery in the British series. I think we'd love to, but it comes down to cost, plain and simple. Motorsport isn't cheap at the best of times, but when you have to pay in the region of half a million euros for a new GT1 car (Aston or Maserati, for instance) who's going to pay that for a season in one country? What team in the British series can afford to pay that for a season of domestic GT racing. Especially when they can cut their teeth in GT3 and then GT2 over a number of years before working their way up the GT scale and into LMES, ALMS and FIA GT. Teams like Veloqx, Rollcentre and GruppeM have done just that.

As for wathing the championship, you really should have gone to more live events after Donington Park at the start of the season. There were some fantastic races and the Cup Class battle went down to the wire and also provided some first class entertainment. A 'toe in the water' exercise at the opening round of the season is never the best way to look at a championship, follow it for the whole season and watch the drama and excitement. That's how you know if a series is good or not.

As for te Ultima, I don't know, but Graham might do!!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1183935)   #33
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I believe the Master Motorsport Ultima will return in 2005, no doubt lifted by their excellent run in the final round of 2004 at Brands
Old 20 Dec 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1183964)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT1s are great, but the top class in any sportscar series needs at least 10 cars IMO.

You wouldn't get 10 GT1s in British GT
Old 20 Dec 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1183974)   #35
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think that to have GT1 back we need grids of 6+ cars per race, there would be no point otherwise in having the class, but 6 cars are enough to have a good race in the GT1 class IMO, not ideal but adaquete, this is also the target set by Ratel if I remember correctly. I wasnt a fan of the GT3 class at first, but over the course of the year Ive slowly warmed to the cars during the course of the season. There can never be a class below GT3 though IMO, just looking at the qualifying times for the BTCC and British GT at Donnington u can see that the front running BTCC guys would have qualifed ahead of a few of the GT3 runners in British GT, scary. A class beneath GT3 would be outperformed by Super 2000 cars!

Still the series is healthy at the moment, and looks like its going to be stronger for 2005 so fingers crossed things will keep on improving.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1183984)   #36
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Can someone remind me which teams committed to GT1 at the beginning of the year if the class were to be run? I'm pretty sure Graham Nash promised a couple of Saleens and that Creation planned to run a Lister, but there may have been more.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1185095)   #37
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
www.dailysportscar.com reports today that there will be ex Cirtek Motorsport Porsche 911's in the British GT championship in 2005, Im guessing these will be GT2 cars as Cirtek hasnt run a Cup class Porsche for quite some time. (to my knowledge).
Old 21 Dec 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1185161)   #38
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Cirtek has never run a Cup class effort -
Old 21 Dec 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1185293)   #39
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
www.dailysportscar.com reports today that there will be ex Cirtek Motorsport Porsche 911's in the British GT championship in 2005, Im guessing these will be GT2 cars as Cirtek hasnt run a Cup class Porsche for quite some time. (to my knowledge).
Just spotted something in last week's Autosport- there's a piece in the 'national' pages about Team Griffin Racing's Formula Renault plans for next year, and it included a little bit of news I'd not seen before:

'Griffin has also taken delivery of an ex-FIA GT Porsche 911GT3RS to run alongside its Chrysler Viper in the British GT Championship'

The Viper news has been out for a while, but I don't think I've heard any mention of them having a 911 as well- could this be one of the ex-Cirtek cars?
Old 21 Dec 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1185349)   #40
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
It is one of the ex-Cirtek cars
Old 21 Dec 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1185416)   #41
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Ah excellent news, thanks Graham. Things are shaping up very well for the British GT championship in 2005.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1185443)   #42
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shaping up very well.
I would say Donington in April 2004 was something of a classic in BGT terms - both races were exceptionally good. Of course if you prefer a Saleen going round at 95% and winning by a mile, please revert back to 2002: we can provide a time machine for you, if required.
Each to his own, I suppose.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:21 (Ref:1186135)   #43
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello,

There were a few entries for the class at the start of 2003 but too few to keep the class alive. Your very right, it's a very expensive class of racing, so not too many people are going to be able to enter. However, the entertainment value of just the cars alone would definitely be enough to attract me! So the racing in such a class wouldn't have to be great stuff, as long as we have GT2 and GT3 to back up with some exciting battling.

Donington is the only circuit near to me, mainly because Cadwell Park is far too small to encorporate a meeting like that. In 2005 I do plan to visit a lot more racing, though. The donington round didn't used to be until september kinda time, I think it was only in '03 that it became the season opener?

I will say though that the single event I did visit had a classic finale, rain in the last 5 mins, and the winner being decided on the very last corner. But it's all about having the time to go and visit the events. I think GT racing is the best kind of motorsport, and I love it to pieces, but unfortunately I don't get many opportunities to go see it, so forgive me if my comments are being a bit too optimistic for something that can't possibly happen, I don't know too much "insider" and background information on the sport, but I'm more than keen to learn more and more.

PS - who's racing a TVR next year? i heard something (may even have read it on here actually, can't remember cos i have a memory like a sieve lol) about at least one team selling theirs, and also any future plans for Scuderia Ecosse team in the series?
Old 22 Dec 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1186293)   #44
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
LNT will race two TVR T400Rs next season (the two orange cars run under the RSR racing banner in 04)

Eclipse are swopping theirs for a Mosler - Don't know yet how the Racesports salisbury season will develop but they want to do all four LMES races
Old 13 Jan 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1200235)   #45
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
www.dailysportscar.com today reports that Tech 9 will run a brand new 2005 specifcation Porsche 911 GT3 RSR in this years British GT championship, as well as their GT3 Cup class Porsche in GT3. Also www.crash.net today reports that Eurotech will run a Porsche 911 GT3 RSR in 2005, although no news on if its a spec 2004 or 2005 spec RSR, also no news on whether or not they will run their GT3 class Porsche either. British GT is gonna be great this year, who knows may even overtake the BTCC in terms of populairty if quality entrants continue to sign up.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1200301)   #46
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Autosport was suggesting that Eurotech will field two 2005-spec 911 GT3-RSRs, for Mike Jordan/Michael Caine and David Jones/Godfrey Jones.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1201118)   #47
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Isn't Eurotech renamed?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1201149)   #48
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just read a round up of entry news for this years BGT over on DSC and things are looking good for this year. It looks like we are going to be in for another great year.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1201253)   #49
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Isn't Eurotech renamed?
yes to jw racing and now back to Eurotech
Old 17 Jan 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1202643)   #50
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
It would appear we can add GNM to the British GT entry list for GT2 too. With the 911 GT3 RS http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=8&nid=104269 - It just keeps getting better and better!